Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 year progress check

One of my lo's is 2 next week and has her HV check on monday, I have done 2year progress check for her to give to parents but am confused to have i done it too early or not.

As this is what my network co emailed me:

Under the revised EYFS you are required to do a two year old progress check for all two year olds who have the majority of their care with you. It is recommended that this is done sometime after the child is 28 months old and before reaching three years.

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure I read somewhere it is to be done in the term after their second birthday. But as it is for the HV then I guess you do need to do it in time for that

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The 2 year check guidance says we should where possible tie it in with the Health Visitor check.

The document with all the info is on the Foundation Years: From pregnancy to children aged 5 website.

Your timing is fine

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

One of mindees was 2 in July and her mum told me this morning that several of childs friends who are couple of weeks older have just had appointments for 2 year check come through - I have done a 2 year check on another child, but am booked on a course about completing them next wed so wanted to make sure I'm doing it right before I do this child - fingers crossed her appointment doesn't come through yet!

Think I read somewhere to complete check by about 2 1/2 unless I was concerned with childs development and then do it sooner so parent can flag it up with HV earlier eg: speech therapy. Wish they would just give you an age as there is a big difference in development between 24 - 35 1/2 months

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The only definite thing is it has to be done between 24-36mths. Anything else can be argued either way.

In line with HV is nice but that can be very early (at just turned 2) and for some children they may not be achieving the expectations but would be right on target if assessed nearer 36mths. In my area they say to do it in the term before they turn 36mths to make sure they are not flagging up unnecessary concerns.

Personally I would judge it by the child- if they are right on expected development I would do it around 24mths and try to align with HV. If the child was not quite at expectations (but not seriously delayed) I would wait and carry on with the progress reviews I do anyway...

... because the 2-year check is simply the kind of progress review we do regularly anyway, I do one every term. It is nothing special or different really- just looking at what we know, what we hear from home, looking at DevMatters and thinking about next steps. So, between 24-36mths there will probably be 3 of these checks done anyway so you can just call one of them the '2 year check'.

Post Thanks / Like

we asked parents as their children approached two to let us know as soon as they get the call from hv. We kept their development file up to date ready to produce a summary as soon as it was needed, parents let us know with a weeks notice - its not useful to do them in advance as lo's change so quickly it soon gets outdated. Both parents said the hv loved the help from the summary and one parent said it was a godsend as her usually chirpy little man refused to speak or perform on cue and the hv wouldn't have been able to make any judgements at all, she said she was very glad she had our paperwork to back up what she told the HV.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately we had two children with 2 year checks right away in september so it was another case of 'saved by the forum' as the training came well after when we really needed it, not going to bother with this training course now as thanks to the forum we found our way

Post Thanks / Like

I have a child 3 days per week. They turned 2 last week and had their 2 yr old check at the beginning of this week before I had the chance to do the check. I know I will still need to do it, but now it seems a bit pointless, especially as the child is meeting (or exceeding) all developmental milestones.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Every LA is different.

I have been told that our HV are aiming to get all health checks done by 2yrs 3mths that is the "aim"... Mindee turned 2 in Aug and has her visit on Monday.

I gave my Progress Check at Two to Mum who had HER MUM visiting... HER MUM used to work in early years and said it was really good LOL