Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 year progress check

Well, here's something encouraging.

Got feedback from one of my mums who said the health visitor was impressed with the 2 year check document. Apparently, the language & communication bit was invaluable cos my usually-chatty 2yo completely clammed up and wouldn't talk to the HV.

Nice to know some of these things are actually used and that we're appreciated by other professionals soemtimes.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

thats good. well done!

mindee was leaving so i did LO 2 yr check ... LO started preschool ... preschool had a hissy fit that i had done 2 yr check ( LO had been with me 8 mths before leaving, been in preschool 2 weeks! ) mum showed them 2 yr check and they said it didn't match LO at all! luckily mum said it was acurate and wrote a note for their files saying it had been done and what i had written and that she agreed with it!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    thats good. well done!

mindee was leaving so i did LO 2 yr check ... LO started preschool ... preschool had a hissy fit that i had done 2 yr check ( LO had been with me 8 mths before leaving, been in preschool 2 weeks! ) mum showed them 2 yr check and they said it didn't match LO at all! luckily mum said it was acurate and wrote a note for their files saying it had been done and what i had written and that she agreed with it!
    Did it occur to them that might say more about the preschool than it does about the child?

Should've said, "well there's an opportunity for preschool to engage in reflective practice."

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Did it occur to them that might say more about the preschool than it does about the child?

Should've said, "well there's an opportunity for preschool to engage in reflective practice."
    preschool told me this and i said, i've had LO for 8mths, and i know LO, you've only known LO for 2 weeks and LO is still settling in and finding her feet and boundaries, so of course she is going to be pushing at everything ( and everyone ) and being incredibly loud!

( shhh, but i was quite pleased for this one to move on! sweet, but hard work! )

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is great news that HVs out there are getting to know about it and valuing input bunyip

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just a quick question relating to the below. If you have a new mindee who's between 2 and 3 but has already had a 2 year check done by another childminder, do you have to do your own? What if the previous childminder hadn't done one and child was nearing 3, say?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Knight View Post
    Just a quick question relating to the below. If you have a new mindee who's between 2 and 3 but has already had a 2 year check done by another childminder, do you have to do your own? What if the previous childminder hadn't done one and child was nearing 3, say?
    Rick if the post you are replying to is 'below' rather than above your reply you might find it helpful to follow the upside down instructions here

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...se-newbie.html

The 2 year check is really just another summary assessment of a child's learning and development.

The majority of childminders do them anyway to show the child is making good progress every 3 or 6 or whatever months.

The 2 year check has been designed to tie in with the child's HV check - but don't let that stop you from summarising progress any time you feel a quick summary coming on!

Hth

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Rick if the post you are replying to is 'below' rather than above your reply you might find it helpful to follow the upside down instructions here

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...se-newbie.html

The 2 year check is really just another summary assessment of a child's learning and development.

The majority of childminders do them anyway to show the child is making good progress every 3 or 6 or whatever months.

The 2 year check has been designed to tie in with the child's HV check - but don't let that stop you from summarising progress any time you feel a quick summary coming on!

Hth
    Thanks Sarah, very helpful. I haven't got my head around it yet, still trying to find mindees, very frustrating when you're eager to start!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Knight View Post
    It's covered in EYFS statutory framework 2.3-2.5 inclusive, and worth actually reading the document. The easiest way to navigate it is to download the pdf then use CTRL+F to bring up the search terms box.

It doesn't allow for all the possible "what if" scenarios, but clearly states: "If a child moves setting between the ages of two and three it is expected that the progress check would usually be undertaken by the setting where the child has spent most time."

TBH, if that meant the other setting should have done it, but they had failed to do so, then I'd take responsibility and do it anyway for the sake of the child. I certainly don't thinks it's fair to not bother just because the child is nearly 3, and that would breach the regulatory requirement in any case. The progress check is in no way difficult; in fact, I found it to be less detailed than the usual once-a-term review I do with parents anyway.

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    thats good. well done!

I have a LO leaving for nursery I have had her for 2 yrs now and I am doing the progress check then the nursery has to do one too. I think you know the child more than them. Good on you I had my training on wednesday night on the progress check and they did say that I should do one. The only time I dont need to is if I am not the main carer i.e lo goes to nursery 4 days and is with me 1 day the the nursery should do the progress check as they know the child the best.
    I do need help with mine actually the LO I mind is behind in her Speaking she falls into for 22-36 age group( she is 28mths) she is hitting all targets for 8-20 mths and just 1 in the 16-26 mths where do I place her at would it be both or 8-20mths. The mum is aware that her speech is not where is should be but how do I put it in the report in a positive way she is fine in all the other areas of communication.