Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    may 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Variation advise for newbie

Please help, I fully understand the new rules with existing families and changing of hours/days. I thought I read somewhere about if no one else can do it?

Another CM has variation to care for 4y and 1y though she would like to find someone to help with the 1y. It will be for 3 days a week and I only have space for one of them. My other parent works shifts, so roughly 2-3 times a month I would have space on the other 2 days. Other CM is a friend and lives opposite me, so can do things together so siblings mix during the day!

DS 3 will be at nursery every morn, those 2 days will have LO3 and LO2 (shift of needed) and one after schoolie. Parent is unable to find anyone else with 2 spaces that does our school run.

Can I help?

may 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone help or was this too confusing?

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused, does she need you to help with both children or just one? Are ey siblings?

Do you have one eyfs space on the days parent needs and so can only take one child?

If you make things a bit clearer I will try to help

may 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, I did wonder if it wasn't clear.

I only have one space on one of the 3 days. They want me to take the younger one. Mum was there this afternoon in tears because she has to go back to work and no childminders will take both! Because of shift work, I will have one space for three days on some weeks and one space on one day on others, so not be regularly over my numbers.

Thanks again, I am pretty sure OFSTED will say no, but parent is desperate!

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

So mum wants three days but your only have one available every week but would have all three days some weeks because of a shift worker. Hope that's right.

So under the old variations you could have appled for a variation with a supporting letter from both parent and development worker stating there is not alternative. I have known two childminders been granted variations on this basis so should think this would be allowed under new system. But do check with ofsted yourself.

The other option would be to start lo off one day a week and then increase to three having written risk assessment and informed all parents under continuity of care. Thus granting yourself a variation for a child in Your care.
    Last edited by blue bear; 30-08-2012 at 09:50 PM.

may 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks yes did think of the one day for now then adding others later. May contact ofsted then, just didn't want to waste my time with the form. Thanks very much for your help x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cas2805 View Post
    Thanks yes did think of the one day for now then adding others later. May contact ofsted then, just didn't want to waste my time with the form. Thanks very much for your help x
    Ofsted do not want to get involved with childminder variations from Sept.

it will be up to the childminder to decide, based on the guidance available and the requirements of the EYFS, whether the variation can go ahead.

Hth

may 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Think the decision has been taken out of my hands!

Had two interviews today, first said they would take one of my days! 2nd asking about the other two days, thinking about it, looks good so far!

Had one space since May, other two since June, so really pleased that at least one said yes!