Variations and the revised EYFS
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,494
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Variations and the revised EYFS

    A reminder guys!

    Variations from Sept can only be set up -

    - For continuity of care - for existing children, not to earn a bit extra money by taking on a new child

    - In exceptional circumstances - when there is no other alternative, not as a matter of course

    - With full knowledge of existing parents - not hidden from them in case they say 'no'

    - If it is in the best interests of the children involved - not just to get a few extra children in the house because your husband has been laid off and you are struggling to pay the bills

    - If you are absolutely sure you can meet every child's care and education needs - not if you intend to stay inside all day because you can't get the children on outings or supervise them all properly in the garden

    - If you can prove to an inspector that you have considered all the risks before doing it - and reflected on what might happen to your business if you are caught breaking the rules!!

    If you pm me, email me, phone me or send me a FB message asking me about variations I will repeat the points above.

    I will not say 'yes' to you having 6 under 5s... I will not say 'yes' to you taking on 2 new children and pretending they are existing business... I will only quote the rules to you.

    Here are some documents which might help you to make up your mind

    Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - The numbers and ages of children that providers on the Early Years and Childcare Registers may care for

    Variations

    Changes to Conditions of Registration
    Last edited by Pauline; 06-10-2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Correcting link that wasn't working

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Over the hill !
    Posts
    5,701
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What ?

    So are you saying I can't have 24 children and keep them all on a piece of string ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    With the sheep and cows
    Posts
    5,710
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I dont think i agree with this as some will take complete advantage of this and there will be consiquences
    One life live it

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    359
    Registered Childminder since
    sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    To be perfectly honest I have 4 under 5 at the moment (OFSTED variation in place) and that can be a struggle, especially in the school holidays with my own children home as well. My house just doesn't seem big enough - and it is quite large really.

    I really don't understand why you would want to have so many.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 09
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Please can someone put my mind at rest with the old variations that were in place what happens to them now, I had one in place for a tue and weds do i need to re do paper work for those as one day still take place.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,494
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emhudson View Post
    Please can someone put my mind at rest with the old variations that were in place what happens to them now, I had one in place for a tue and weds do i need to re do paper work for those as one day still take place.
    Current variations continue until you no longer need them.

    Any new variations will then need to be considered on their own merits

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 09
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks Sarah on your reply , so I dont need to do anything regarding current variations just leave as it is.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,494
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emhudson View Post
    Thanks Sarah on your reply , so I dont need to do anything regarding current variations just leave as it is.
    Yes that's right!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,986
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    All good advice, Sarah. I am astounded at your patience over the last few weeks, providing consistently sound direction as the same "how do I do this.... under new EYFS" topics come up time and again. You're a saint.

    I'd be interested to see which topics have generated the highest number of near-identical new threads.

    I'm just a bit worried that some threads have undergone a subtle shift from "what are the new rules on variations, and how do I follow them?" to "how do I tweak the new rules in my favour to acquire new business, and look like I only did it for continuity of care?"

    Oh well, inevitably some will get away with it, and some will end up in tears.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oakworth, Keighley
    Posts
    7
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have a variation in place for 4 under 5s for just half a day per week and that is enough! Ofsted chose to limit us to 3 under 5s for good reasons

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In a world of my own!!!!!!
    Posts
    980
    Registered Childminder since
    2010
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have a few changes happening in September, 1leaving to go to school and a couple due to start in september and October,
    I have a variation in place for 4 under 5, 2 days a week, and this will end next week because this is 1 that is leaving.
    I have decided to only work 4 days a week now and gave notice to 2 lo's on 1 of the days thinking they would probably do an extra day at nursery but they have asked to come on different days.
    The days they want to come is the days I will be full from October so will have 4 under 5 on 2mornings, as the new child's contract was signed in March will this be allowed as continuity of care or should I not have my planned day off and keep them on that day?
    Jane xxx

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,494
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jane5 View Post
    I have a few changes happening in September, 1leaving to go to school and a couple due to start in september and October,
    I have a variation in place for 4 under 5, 2 days a week, and this will end next week because this is 1 that is leaving.
    I have decided to only work 4 days a week now and gave notice to 2 lo's on 1 of the days thinking they would probably do an extra day at nursery but they have asked to come on different days.
    The days they want to come is the days I will be full from October so will have 4 under 5 on 2mornings, as the new child's contract was signed in March will this be allowed as continuity of care or should I not have my planned day off and keep them on that day?
    There are 2 main rules -

    1. Continuity of care

    2. Exceptional circumstances

    If you can say yes to both and the Risk Assessment comes together ok then you'll be able to justify it.

    Hth

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,494
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    All good advice, Sarah. I am astounded at your patience over the last few weeks, providing consistently sound direction as the same "how do I do this.... under new EYFS" topics come up time and again. You're a saint.

    I'd be interested to see which topics have generated the highest number of near-identical new threads.
    Awww thank you!

    I think the most popular topics have been -

    - 2 year progress check advice

    http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/...d.php?t=107544

    - changes to the statutory requirements

    http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/...d.php?t=107232

    - how to engage parents

    http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/...d.php?t=107560

    - variations, variations, variations, variations, variations... and variations

    http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/...d.php?t=107471


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In a world of my own!!!!!!
    Posts
    980
    Registered Childminder since
    2010
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks Sarah, I have had these children since I started except the new one and have 2of these lo's on my previous variation so I am confident that their standard of care will not suffer but I just had a little niggle in my head wether I was stretching the rules.

    I can't wait for my 1st child free day since having my dd 4yrs ago, I won't know what to do with my self whilst she is at school
    Jane xxx

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    242
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Equal opps policy

    Am slowly working my way through Sarahs fab EYFS 2012 checklist. I can't think how to word my equal opps policy-Sarah has suggested that it needs to include info about how children with learning disabilities and difficulties are supported but to be honest I've never had a child with these so i'm not sure what to write- and also about reference to the Equality Act 2010 but I can't seem to find anything in there-unless I'm looking in the wrong place.!
    Help!
    Thanks Lisax

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,494
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lisa1968 View Post
    Am slowly working my way through Sarahs fab EYFS 2012 checklist. I can't think how to word my equal opps policy-Sarah has suggested that it needs to include info about how children with learning disabilities and difficulties are supported but to be honest I've never had a child with these so i'm not sure what to write- and also about reference to the Equality Act 2010 but I can't seem to find anything in there-unless I'm looking in the wrong place.!
    Help!
    Thanks Lisax
    I've answered your thread Lisa

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bristol, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    28
    Registered Childminder since
    apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have 3 under 3 and wouldn't want to take on any more. This can be a struggled at times, especially if they all want my attention at the same time.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1
    Non childminder member
    business
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Changes to EYFS

    What do you all think to the proposed changes by the DFE which will allow childminders to have more children and higher ratios as outlined here- ATL comment on over-haul of early years provision | Adults & Children

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,494
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frankk View Post
    What do you all think to the proposed changes by the DFE which will allow childminders to have more children and higher ratios as outlined here- ATL comment on over-haul of early years provision | Adults & Children
    We are talking about the new proposals in the 'campaigns and petitions' area of the forum -

    Campaigns and Petitions

    Why not come along and join in. There is lots of lively debate going on

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4
    Registered Childminder since
    July 10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Why have ofsted removed the age group and numbers from our registrations in the first place, everyone i speak have been conufsed by this and what how many they are allowed to care for, when i have spoken to ofsted i didnt get a clear answer and think this will only lead to people taking on more children they should have.

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
Variations and the revised EYFS Variations and the revised EYFS Variations and the revised EYFS

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk