Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Variations and the revised EYFS

A reminder guys!

Variations from Sept can only be set up -

- For continuity of care - for existing children, not to earn a bit extra money by taking on a new child

- In exceptional circumstances - when there is no other alternative, not as a matter of course

- With full knowledge of existing parents - not hidden from them in case they say 'no'

- If it is in the best interests of the children involved - not just to get a few extra children in the house because your husband has been laid off and you are struggling to pay the bills

- If you are absolutely sure you can meet every child's care and education needs - not if you intend to stay inside all day because you can't get the children on outings or supervise them all properly in the garden

- If you can prove to an inspector that you have considered all the risks before doing it - and reflected on what might happen to your business if you are caught breaking the rules!!

If you pm me, email me, phone me or send me a FB message asking me about variations I will repeat the points above.

I will not say 'yes' to you having 6 under 5s... I will not say 'yes' to you taking on 2 new children and pretending they are existing business... I will only quote the rules to you.

Here are some documents which might help you to make up your mind

Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - The numbers and ages of children that providers on the Early Years and Childcare Registers may care for

Variations

Changes to Conditions of Registration
    Last edited by Pauline; 06-10-2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Correcting link that wasn't working

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

What ?

So are you saying I can't have 24 children and keep them all on a piece of string ?

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think i agree with this as some will take complete advantage of this and there will be consiquences
    One life live it

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

To be perfectly honest I have 4 under 5 at the moment (OFSTED variation in place) and that can be a struggle, especially in the school holidays with my own children home as well. My house just doesn't seem big enough - and it is quite large really.

I really don't understand why you would want to have so many.

Mar 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Please can someone put my mind at rest with the old variations that were in place what happens to them now, I had one in place for a tue and weds do i need to re do paper work for those as one day still take place.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emhudson View Post
    Please can someone put my mind at rest with the old variations that were in place what happens to them now, I had one in place for a tue and weds do i need to re do paper work for those as one day still take place.
    Current variations continue until you no longer need them.

Any new variations will then need to be considered on their own merits

Mar 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah on your reply , so I dont need to do anything regarding current variations just leave as it is.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emhudson View Post
    Thanks Sarah on your reply , so I dont need to do anything regarding current variations just leave as it is.
    Yes that's right!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

All good advice, Sarah. I am astounded at your patience over the last few weeks, providing consistently sound direction as the same "how do I do this.... under new EYFS" topics come up time and again. You're a saint.

I'd be interested to see which topics have generated the highest number of near-identical new threads.

I'm just a bit worried that some threads have undergone a subtle shift from "what are the new rules on variations, and how do I follow them?" to "how do I tweak the new rules in my favour to acquire new business, and look like I only did it for continuity of care?"

Oh well, inevitably some will get away with it, and some will end up in tears.

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a variation in place for 4 under 5s for just half a day per week and that is enough! Ofsted chose to limit us to 3 under 5s for good reasons

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a few changes happening in September, 1leaving to go to school and a couple due to start in september and October,
    I have a variation in place for 4 under 5, 2 days a week, and this will end next week because this is 1 that is leaving.
    I have decided to only work 4 days a week now and gave notice to 2 lo's on 1 of the days thinking they would probably do an extra day at nursery but they have asked to come on different days.
    The days they want to come is the days I will be full from October so will have 4 under 5 on 2mornings, as the new child's contract was signed in March will this be allowed as continuity of care or should I not have my planned day off and keep them on that day?
    Jane xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jane5 View Post
    I have a few changes happening in September, 1leaving to go to school and a couple due to start in september and October,
    I have a variation in place for 4 under 5, 2 days a week, and this will end next week because this is 1 that is leaving.
    I have decided to only work 4 days a week now and gave notice to 2 lo's on 1 of the days thinking they would probably do an extra day at nursery but they have asked to come on different days.
    The days they want to come is the days I will be full from October so will have 4 under 5 on 2mornings, as the new child's contract was signed in March will this be allowed as continuity of care or should I not have my planned day off and keep them on that day?
    There are 2 main rules -

1. Continuity of care

2. Exceptional circumstances

If you can say yes to both and the Risk Assessment comes together ok then you'll be able to justify it.

Hth

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    All good advice, Sarah. I am astounded at your patience over the last few weeks, providing consistently sound direction as the same "how do I do this.... under new EYFS" topics come up time and again. You're a saint.

I'd be interested to see which topics have generated the highest number of near-identical new threads.
    Awww thank you!

I think the most popular topics have been -

- 2 year progress check advice

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/...d.php?t=107544

- changes to the statutory requirements

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/...d.php?t=107232

- how to engage parents

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/...d.php?t=107560

- variations, variations, variations, variations, variations... and variations

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/...d.php?t=107471

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah, I have had these children since I started except the new one and have 2of these lo's on my previous variation so I am confident that their standard of care will not suffer but I just had a little niggle in my head wether I was stretching the rules.

I can't wait for my 1st child free day since having my dd 4yrs ago, I won't know what to do with my self whilst she is at school
    Jane xxx

Nov 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Equal opps policy

Am slowly working my way through Sarahs fab EYFS 2012 checklist. I can't think how to word my equal opps policy-Sarah has suggested that it needs to include info about how children with learning disabilities and difficulties are supported but to be honest I've never had a child with these so i'm not sure what to write- and also about reference to the Equality Act 2010 but I can't seem to find anything in there-unless I'm looking in the wrong place.!
    Help!
    Thanks Lisax

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lisa1968 View Post
    Am slowly working my way through Sarahs fab EYFS 2012 checklist. I can't think how to word my equal opps policy-Sarah has suggested that it needs to include info about how children with learning disabilities and difficulties are supported but to be honest I've never had a child with these so i'm not sure what to write- and also about reference to the Equality Act 2010 but I can't seem to find anything in there-unless I'm looking in the wrong place.!
    Help!
    Thanks Lisax
    I've answered your thread Lisa

apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 under 3 and wouldn't want to take on any more. This can be a struggled at times, especially if they all want my attention at the same time.

Non childminder member
    business
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Changes to EYFS

What do you all think to the proposed changes by the DFE which will allow childminders to have more children and higher ratios as outlined here- ATL comment on over-haul of early years provision | Adults & Children

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frankk View Post
    What do you all think to the proposed changes by the DFE which will allow childminders to have more children and higher ratios as outlined here- ATL comment on over-haul of early years provision | Adults & Children
    We are talking about the new proposals in the 'campaigns and petitions' area of the forum -

Campaigns and Petitions

Why not come along and join in. There is lots of lively debate going on

July 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Why have ofsted removed the age group and numbers from our registrations in the first place, everyone i speak have been conufsed by this and what how many they are allowed to care for, when i have spoken to ofsted i didnt get a clear answer and think this will only lead to people taking on more children they should have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast