Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Working with other settings

I have 2 children attending on a Mon in Sept who are with a nursery the other 4 days. I'm thinking of ringing the nursery to see if I can have a look round and see the rooms and staff they are with. I thought I could take the newsletter I will do in Sept for the family and pass it over directly. I can't decide if they will be angry though as the children should have done 5 days with them but mum has pulled them out on the day she needs to work later as she doesn't want to pay for 2 sessions when she is over by 15 minutes. What do you think? Mum has ticked to say I can share information.
    Paula

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well we are all supposed to work inpartnership for the lo's benefit, so you can certainly ask.

I've had very different experiences of this. Our local pre-school couldn't be more co-operative and we work very well together.

OTOH, the local school acts like we don't exist - quite literally. All the CMs have supported events and run stalls at the school fayres, but one of my mums was told by the school office that there are no CMs in our community.

mar 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

You can only try! I have tried and failed with 2 of our local nurseries to even get a reply let alone share any information but the local school has been good at sharing the lo`s diary and passing on newsletters. Good luck

jumpinjen Guest

I have made a point in the past of engaging the staff member in conversation that i collect LO from - I never got any newsletters, observations etc from them but I had a fair amount of verbal information about what they were doing and the newsletter was pinned to the wall for me to read! They never seemed very knowledgeable about the LO and her particular interests and skills and the LJ was a few scribbled lines on blank A4 paper according to her mum but at least i could say to ofsted that i shared info as I chatted about what we did and had planned and noted what they were doing.... it is guerilla partnership working for resistant settings lol!

Jen x

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would definately go for it hun, they, hopefully will appreciate you working with them and will enjoy your communication. It seems intimidating at first as I have found in the past with new settings but I just go with the flow. I send them my newsletters, planning, next steps and they do the same with to me. I have had them phone me and tell me how they really are grateful for every bit of communication/info I have shared with them and they rate me so high they want to pass my details on to any parents who need a minder.
    It has given me the confidence to send any requests to new settings which before I think I would have felt I wasn't worthy, as such. But know I know I am especially that the setting is Outstanding and it welll renowned as one fo the best in my area.

Give it a go, if they don't appreciate you (which they will) you can at least hold your head high knowing you are doing your job well. x

Sept 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have an example letter that they give to local nurseries / schools with whom they need to share information? I'm tying myself in knots trying to write one (& I know it should be simple!). I have tried doing a search but haven't found anything - probably using the wrong phrases!

If anyone's happy to share so that I can get some ideas & obviously adapt to my situation / settings, I'd be really grateful.

Logan

Feb 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you manage to find a letter? I'm in the process of doing one too.

jan 89
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

HI I HAVE ONE il try and attatch not sure where i got it
    Attached Files Attached Files

Feb 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My mindee is going 2 days to nursery. I can't go and visit though - too busy on my work days and she's not there on my day off.

I have got a parent permission form for sharing information freely. I've prepared a transition report for them showing her next steps and done a little intro letter asking them to contact me if they need any more information.

I'm going to ask Dad to give it to them when he drops her off this week.

if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got