Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default EYFS 2012 - more frequently asked questions answered

More frequently asked questions - the revised EYFS

I am confused about variations from September - where can I get more help?

There is a lot of confusion about variations.

There is a variations advice document in free downloads which has been written after consultation with Ofsted and gives information which was correct on the day it was written -

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freere...tions2012.html

If you are still unsure you are advised to wait for a further guidance document from Ofsted.

Should I ring Ofsted about a variation request for September?

No, Ofsted will not advise you about variation requests from September and the start of the revised EYFS.

They will tell you to follow the ratios information in the EYFS (2012) - requirements 3.29 and 3.39 - 3.41 - and to contact your local authority for more advice.

I understand from Ofsted that they are intending to produce more guidance about ratios before September.

When should I start using the revised EYFS? Can I use it now?

The 2008 EYFS is a statutory document and the revised EYFS does not replace it until 1st September so you must continue using the EYFS 2008 until September 1st.

This does not mean that you cannot update your policies, procedures and other paperwork over the summer so you are ready to start using the EYFS 2012 on 1st Sept.

The Development Matters guidance document is not statutory, so you might want to start looking at it earlier than 1st September, especially if you have a new child starting in the provision.

Where can I find copies of the revised EYFS?

The revised EYFS (2012) is available to download from www.foundationyears.org.uk or the Department for Education website.

You can also buy copies from NDNA (National Day Nurseries Association) and Early Education.

Have Ofsted released any new documents about the revised EYFS?

Yes, they have recently released their inspection guidance which is an interesting read -

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/u...s-settings-req

It is always a good idea to check out the ‘inadequate’ boxes as well as the others just to make sure you haven’t forgotten something!!

When are Ofsted going to release further guidance about the EYFS and update their other factsheets?

Ofsted are working to produce guidance however Ofsted have not advised when guidance will be ready for distribution.

You can register to receive email updates of new documents from Ofsted via their website - http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/early-years-and-childcare

When will I receive a new registration certificate?

There is a process Ofsted have to go through - first they will send you a letter called a ‘notice of intention’ to change the details on your current certificate. 14 days later you will receive a new certificate.

However, certificates are not all going to arrive on 1st September - some will take longer to arrive.

How long can my assistant look after children on their own?

The revised EYFS states that assistants can only look after children on their own for ‘no longer than 2 hours’ a day. Assistants must have permission from children’s parents and Ofsted to be left alone with children and must have a valid paediatric first aid certificate.

It is very important that you record when an assistant is working with you on an attendance register and note when the assistant has sole care of the children in case of query in the future.

Has something changed regarding inspections after complaints?

Yes, Ofsted have changed the way they will handle complaints from September. In most cases a complaint will be followed up by a full inspection which will allow the inspector to check how the whole of your provision operates.

Minor complaints will usually be handed over to you to deal with internally.

My SEF needs updating - should I do it now or wait?

The online SEF will be closed for 3 weeks from the last week in August until the 3rd week in September!!

It is strongly recommended that you make sure your SEF is safe on your computer before the system shuts down.

Ofsted state that if you cannot show an inspector your SEF while the online system is closed you will not be penalised during your inspection.

I hope this helps answer some questions

Post Thanks / Like

Sarah do you ever stop !!! you are a truly amazing asset to us all xx I dont know where we would be without you xx Thank you very much for all your hard work x

Aug 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah

Penny1959 Guest

Thanks Sarah - clearly explained - good to have in one place

Penny

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah

Oct 10
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for all your info

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

thank you soooo much xxx

July 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah
    Cherry x

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

BucksCM Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    [B]Where can I find copies of the revised EYFS?

The revised EYFS (2012) is available to download from www.foundationyears.org.uk or the Department for Education website.

You can also buy copies from NDNA (National Day Nurseries Association) and Early Education.

[
    Thank you Sarah for all the hard work you put in to keep us updated.

Can I add that you can also buy copies from the NCMA for £5.50...the cheapest I've seen it. (The NDNA want £9.50 and the Early Education site want £5.75 for just the Development matters.)

I have to say though, I did just print mine off in the end!

Post Thanks / Like

Question EYFS guidance for parents

Hi

Really sorry if this has been asked already but can someone suggest a website I can download some brief/straightforward guidance for my parents regarding the new EYFS in September 2012

Thanks

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daviesntcp View Post
    Hi

Really sorry if this has been asked already but can someone suggest a website I can download some brief/straightforward guidance for my parents regarding the new EYFS in September 2012

Thanks
    There is a leaflet for parents here which you can adapt

www.foundationyears.org.uk on the EYFS page

Jan 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah,
    xxx

jan 89
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks just printing out for parents now sat and read the whole eyfs book today jotted notes now need to write up and try and find more about a few things

Mar2012
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Confuse about SEF

Hi Sarah
    I am very new to the childminding and never fill SEF form .
    By previous post I have understood is we are no longer to fill this SEF form online. Is it true.?
    Thanks
    Will appreciate your reply x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soni235 View Post
    Hi Sarah
    I am very new to the childminding and never fill SEF form .
    By previous post I have understood is we are no longer to fill this SEF form online. Is it true.?
    Thanks
    Will appreciate your reply x
    The SEF is currently being updated / changed by Ofsted and there will be new questions and guidance available soon.

The SEF is about self evaluation - you can do that without a form! Just write down when you change things and how you enhance your working practices.

When the new SEF is available it will be posted on the forum and I am sure there will be lots of help available