New EYFS - Evidencing Characteristics of Effective Learning?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    jumpinjen Guest

Default New EYFS - Evidencing Characteristics of Effective Learning?

Hi - sorry if this has been in one of the other threads about this but i was looking through the new Development Matters today and started wondering about the Characteristics - will we have to note when an observation shows a child demonstrating one of these characteristics? Or will we have to show how we encourage these characteristics as part of our practice?

Thanks, jen x

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking this and looking at redesigning my very broad observation sheet to include a column to link to one of the characteristics of learning.

In this fortnights nursery world there was a section on where to find support material on the revised EYFS. There are some books out soon which I hope will offer a bit of support

The New EYFS in Practice by Ann Langston (Out in October 2012)

Is your EYFS on Track? Self Evaluation starts with celebration by Terry Gould (Out in October 2012)

How children learn: the characteristics of effective early learning by Nancy Stewart.

And Penny Tassoni's Practical EYFS Handbook is being revised in September 2012.

There was a few more, but these are the ones which interest me most. Nursery world themselves are doing a 3 part guide on how children learn which specifically links to characteristics of learning.

Hope that helps xxx
    Wellybellyxxxxxxxxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The characteristics are not for day-to-day observations, assessments and planning.

They are to help you get an overall view of HOW the child is learning.

They link very closely to knowledge about learning styles and schemas.

By looking at what a child has learned over the months you can plot their progress - your summary assessments help you to do this.

You then use your knowledge of how the child learns to plan appropriate next steps activities.

The characteristics won't need updating day-to-day because children's learning styles tend to stay with them and develop.

I hope that makes sense

jumpinjen Guest

Thanks ladies!

My planning sheet currently has a chart in the footer which has the sections from the current EYFS such as enabling environments, positive relationships etc that I highlight as I go to provide an additional record of how I meet theses aspects on a daily basis - it keeps them current in my mind too.

A bit like what you do welly I think - I could always tweak it to reflect the new one later in the year.

I am well versed in learning styles and find it very useful knowledge to have when observing and planning for children - I'm glad that it is part of the new EYFS.

It all seems rather slim to me - will the principles into practice cards from the old EYFS still be relevant or do we not work from them anymore come September?

I would wait for local training but historically our EY team's training on EYFS has been about as clear as mud!!!

Thanks, Jen x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes from what I am reading the cards will be relevant - especially the orange ones because they relate specifically to the characteristics (albeit with slightly changed names).

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Recently did some online EYFS training and was told to hang on to the cards

Cx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    Recently did some online EYFS training and was told to hang on to the cards

Cx
    That's good to know - will make sure I don't bin them (having a bit of a paperwork cull ATM)

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

jumpinjen Guest

Would have been useful if they'd put everything we were going to need in one document rather than drip feeding bits and bobs we are going to need to patch together from all over, like birth to three, stuff rom old EYFS, stuff from new EYFS etc - think i will bury my head for a bit longer after all!!

jen x

may 92
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default new eyfs

sorry i carn't get my head round any of it.i am from walsall west midlands and we are not being told any think at the mo..glad of this forum.....

jumpinjen Guest

Hi there - I'm not far from you! Hello!

Jenni x

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    The characteristics are not for day-to-day observations, assessments and planning.

They are to help you get an overall view of HOW the child is learning.

They link very closely to knowledge about learning styles and schemas.

By looking at what a child has learned over the months you can plot their progress - your summary assessments help you to do this.

You then use your knowledge of how the child learns to plan appropriate next steps activities.

The characteristics won't need updating day-to-day because children's learning styles tend to stay with them and develop.

I hope that makes sense
    I think I saw it as more for my benefit to show I am meeting the requirements than it just being about the child. Glad it doesnt need to be done for every obs
    Wellybellyxxxxxxxxx