Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Welsh resources

Registered Childminder since
    July 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Welsh resources

Hello Welsh Childminders!

I would really like to introduce more Welsh into my setting. I'm English but have been living in Wales since I was a little girl, so I don't have a good enough excuse for talking to the children using a bit more Welsh.

I'm after some useful resources, either paid or free that you may have found useful in introducing more Welsh into your setting.

I'm thinking of posters, signs, books (stories and adult guides), games etc.

Like I said, happy to pay for resources, but free ones would be lovely too!

Any advice or points in the right direction gratefully received!

Thanks in advance!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Im not even close to being Welsh speaking (hangs head in shame). I should be as my Dad was fluent and myself and DS have the challenge of learning the language but keep finding other things to do as priority.

I have found Usbourne have quite a bit of welsh which could prove handy to you.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am no-where near fluent - I can speak to children but my Welsh collapses when I speak to adults! My daughters have both attended catergory 1 schools so are fluent but their confidence is low.

I look in charity shops and ebay and have got Welsh lotto games, puzzles of animals with welsh names below, one of my ex parents gave me a wooden Welsh alphabet flippy thing but one of my larger mindees stood on it and broke it! Usbourne have some books and word books and Welsh snap. I pick up loads of books from charity shops but I cannot read to advanced ones and actually understand it as I read IYSWIM. I got a Nadolig Llawen bunting off ebay at xmas from a lady in Yorkshire! Going for alphabet bunting now.

Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

Have u got a local welsh primary school. A whole back my next door neighbour asked me would I like to go to welsh classes with her they were for families of children who were planning on attending the school. The course run for 6 weeks and we were given lots of fun activities, books and games to do with the children I think the programme was called welsh and families and was supported by mudiad Meithrin. Maybe google it and see of you can find any on your area I found it a great help.

5. Likes shortstuff liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Also have a look to see if there are any Ti a Fi groups in your area. They are Welsh Adult and child groups also run by the Mudiad Meithrin. I have always been welcome in the groups and they have been supportive of me learning Welsh.

June 12
    Non childminder member
    I AM a childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure ****** have Welsh resources. There are some Welsh apps too (for iPhone only though atm) Magi Ann is one of them which is a series of reading books for beginners. Cyw (from S4C) also have apps.You can find examples if Wlesh nursery rhymes on You Tube too. I agree about finding Ti a Fi groups. I also attend a Welsh group run by Twf. I'm in North Wales and there are a few of these groups around.

June 12
    Non childminder member
    I AM a childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so it looks like I'm not allowed to mention the website name -oops naughty me! There is an english song about a little star, it's the first word of that without the last letter.