Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default We're moving to Wales!

Hi Welsh cms!
    DH has just accepted a job in Wales (could be sent anywhere! not that it's a very big place so we might want to know where to move, or anything) so we'll be moving soon(ish). I know that you have CSSIW instead of Ofsted (yay!) but don't know much else. Any tips or advice? Where do I go for further info? On areas of learning, things I'll need in our new house, all that kind of stuff. Has anyone else moved from England to Wales and carried on cm-ing?

And the big question, will I have to do another childminding course? I did my cypop5 in Autumn 2012. Is that likely to be ok or am I back to square one?

TIA.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Croeso

I am also an ex-OFSTED childminder in Wales. You will need to re-register with CSSIW. I didn't have to do the course again although they debated it, CSSIW told me to ask (the then) NCMA they told me to ask CSSIW. All my courses were up to date so they were happy to let me just apply. You have to send your P&Ps and evidence when you send your application form in. You will need to re-do DBS checks but the CSSIW are paying at the moment still.

When you know where you will be defecting to you will need to contact the local FIS - or you could try ringing CSSIW on 0300 7900126 (central number) and asking their advice - however CSSIW is divided into regions so they may not be able to put you through to the inspection team until you know where you will be.

It is a lot more relaxed (at the moment) than Ofsted - no EYFS, No agencies, inspections look at care not teaching, named inspector

We have the Foundation Phase which we need to be aware of but is not statutory unless you are delivering funded places (downside is not all areas use childminders for funded places)

Another childminder is re-registering here, after 2 years not minding, and she hasn't had to do the course again.

You don't have to be a mini nursery

You will need to have a valid 1st aid cert otherwise you cannot work.

Welsh language resources - they have lots of bilingual books - and they have their own alphabet!
    Last edited by tulip0803; 02-06-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I forgot the National Minimum Standards for regulated Childcare in Wales!!!!! http://wales.gov.uk/docs/dhss/public...hildcareen.pdf - the bible!!

Foundation Phase framework http://wales.gov.uk/dcells/publicati...ne.pdf?lang=en

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tulip0803 View Post
    Croeso

I am also an ex-OFSTED childminder in Wales. You will need to re-register with CSSIW. I didn't have to do the course again although they debated it, CSSIW told me to ask (the then) NCMA they told me to ask CSSIW. All my courses were up to date so they were happy to let me just apply. You have to send your P&Ps and evidence when you send your application form in. You will need to re-do DBS checks but the CSSIW are paying at the moment still.

When you know where you will be defecting to you will need to contact the local FIS - or you could try ringing CSSIW on 0300 7900126 (central number) and asking their advice - however CSSIW is divided into regions so they may not be able to put you through to the inspection team until you know where you will be.

It is a lot more relaxed (at the moment) than Ofsted - no EYFS, No agencies, inspections look at care not teaching, named inspector

We have the Foundation Phase which we need to be aware of but is not statutory unless you are delivering funded places (downside is not all areas use childminders for funded places)

Another childminder is re-registering here, after 2 years not minding, and she hasn't had to do the course again.

You don't have to be a mini nursery

You will need to have a valid 1st aid cert otherwise you cannot work.

Welsh language resources - they have lots of bilingual books - and they have their own alphabet!
    Thank you so much, Tulip, that's incredibly helpful. Have to admit, one of the first things I thought when DH told me about the job was 'woohoo, no more Ofsted'. More relaxed sounds just wonderful. I've been very stressed since starting minding.

Interesting reading through the national minimum standards and noting some of the differences but much of it is the same so hoping my paperwork and what I do on a daily basis will transfer fairly well. I guess I won't be able to deliver the Foundation Phase as I don't speak Welsh but that doesn't really bother me. I think it will be fun to explore some of the Welsh culture, stories, songs, history etc.

Good news about probably not having to do the course again. It's looking like we'll be in Cardiff (easy to escape back over the border!).

5. Likes tulip0803 liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    Thank you so much, Tulip, that's incredibly helpful. Have to admit, one of the first things I thought when DH told me about the job was 'woohoo, no more Ofsted'. More relaxed sounds just wonderful. I've been very stressed since starting minding.

Interesting reading through the national minimum standards and noting some of the differences but much of it is the same so hoping my paperwork and what I do on a daily basis will transfer fairly well. I guess I won't be able to deliver the Foundation Phase as I don't speak Welsh but that doesn't really bother me. I think it will be fun to explore some of the Welsh culture, stories, songs, history etc.

Good news about probably not having to do the course again. It's looking like we'll be in Cardiff (easy to escape back over the border!).
    I didn't speak any Welsh when I arrived. I am not fluent but I have learnt enough to do activities with the children, read simple books (hardback type), colours, body parts, songs etc. Not all childminders/nurseries/schools speak Welsh all the time and not all areas are Welsh speaking. It seems to be enough to respect the language and do basic Welsh. In my area they have been running basic Welsh for childcarers courses so they may do similar where-ever you move to. Do not panic

My DDs have both attended Welsh speaking primary school and have done fantastic at Welsh

When I registered, having come from OFSTED, my registering inspector said she had never seen such a comprehensive application!

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This link has some downloadable Welsh songs Twf | Twf songs

8. Likes sing-low liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know how good it is but ds and I are planning to learn welsh. We bought an usbourne book which came with a cd too. Didnt know if you wanted to start learning before the move x

July 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    Thank you so much, Tulip, that's incredibly helpful. Have to admit, one of the first things I thought when DH told me about the job was 'woohoo, no more Ofsted'. More relaxed sounds just wonderful. I've been very stressed since starting minding. Interesting reading through the national minimum standards and noting some of the differences but much of it is the same so hoping my paperwork and what I do on a daily basis will transfer fairly well. I guess I won't be able to deliver the Foundation Phase as I don't speak Welsh but that doesn't really bother me. I think it will be fun to explore some of the Welsh culture, stories, songs, history etc. Good news about probably not having to do the course again. It's looking like we'll be in Cardiff (easy to escape back over the border!).
    Hello! I live in Cardiff! We are desperately short on childcare here so depending on where you live in the city, I can always send enquiries your way. I've had two today but I'm full.

The CSSIW are lovely, a very helpful bunch.
    Let me know when you 'land' on welsh soil!
    :-)

11. Likes sing-low liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

You all sound so lovely - you make me want to move to Wales

13. Likes Toothfairy, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I am soooo jealous...I love Wales...
    We visited for the first time about 6 years ago now and I cried coming home. I felt that was where I belong...it's a very strange feeling...never had that before!
    We have been to some other beautiful places, but I never get that sense of belonging like I do with Wales!
    The last time we went was about a year ago, and I've said I can't go again for a while cos it's too painful to leave...I cried all the way home again...all 6 hours of it!!

Sorry, went off target a bit...

Super excited for you sing-low...good luck with everything

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble Beez View Post
    I am soooo jealous...I love Wales...
    We visited for the first time about 6 years ago now and I cried coming home. I felt that was where I belong...it's a very strange feeling...never had that before!
    We have been to some other beautiful places, but I never get that sense of belonging like I do with Wales!
    The last time we went was about a year ago, and I've said I can't go again for a while cos it's too painful to leave...I cried all the way home again...all 6 hours of it!!

Sorry, went off target a bit...

Super excited for you sing-low...good luck with everything

Sarah x
    That's one of the reasons we moved . MIL was (and still is) very upset with us she lives along the road from you in Raveningham near Loddon. I like your area but I like to come home again and I much prefer CSSIW.

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tulip0803 View Post
    I much prefer CSSIW.
    That would be a BIG bonus for me if we ever moved!!
    Hmmm...need to discuss with hubby again me thinks!

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

A comprehensive reply by Tulip as always

I have been in Wales for 15 years although I didn't childmind in England. Welsh courses are plentiful from basic stuff you can pick up by going to welsh toddlers groups to more advanced conversational welsh. I now know more than my hubby who grew up in Wales and so learnt the language at school. I live in a village with both English and Welsh medium schools and care for children whose first language is Welsh. Didn't really fancy them being able to talk about me so i learnt the language.

You will still be expected to have knowledge of the FP even if you don't speak the language.

As in England some local authorities are better than others at looking after their childminders. I am fortunate where I live as our LA engage well with the childminders and we are able to offer Early Education and funded places to 2 year olds.

Let us know when you have an idea where you are moving to

18. Likes sing-low liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HTSMumma View Post
    Hello! I live in Cardiff! We are desperately short on childcare here so depending on where you live in the city, I can always send enquiries your way. I've had two today but I'm full.

The CSSIW are lovely, a very helpful bunch.
    Let me know when you 'land' on welsh soil!
    :-)
    I come from Cardiff originally. Still have family over there. I can see Wales from here (South Gloucestershire). Makes me a bit jealous that just a few miles down the road and this childminding lark would be so much easier without Ofsted
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

July 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't you all move to Wales now! We'll be out of jobs!! ;-)

Honestly, I count my lucky stars that I don't have to deal with an Ofsted style organisation.... Yet!

21. Likes tulip0803 liked this post