Nvq3 good enough
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Nvq3 good enough

I want to become a childminder I have an nvq3 in early years do I have to do any other course before I can register as a childminder any replies would be great thanks Clare x

July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you still have to go thru extra courses with the county council you live in. I have a foundation degree in Early Years Leadership and work with EYFS every day but doesnt make a difference. The council will advise you of the courses they offer. I had to do 'introductory to setting up home based care' plus EYFS: introduction and EYFS: learning & development. U also have to do food hygiene, 12hr paediatric first aid and child protection course. Hope that helps. It is a lot of work but worth it in the end :-)

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Though it may be different in Wales.

Hopefully one of our welsh members will see the post and advise
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I'm a childminder in Wales, I became registers in 2012 and all I had to do was a course on home based childcare and a paediatric first aid course;
    - Food hygiene was not compulsory nor child protection

Hope it helps x

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Clare

I am also in Wales. Whatever qualification you have you still have to complete the childminding course. Childminding is different from other types of childcare as you work alone. The course will go through things like where to find support should you need it, How to protect yourself and your family from allegations, The National Minimum Standards for Child Care in Wales, accounts, statutory paperwork, policies & procedures, contracts, forms etc etc etc.

You also need to do paediatric first aid (needs to be refreshed every 3 years to be able to continue to childmind)

Although child protection is not required before registration as it is covered in the childminding course you will need to attend one every 3 years as I have been checked on inspection (inc the one in I had in Jan). They have also checked my food hygiene as it is good practice to have it.

It can take anything from 3 months to 12 months to register in Wales - My friend in Ceredigion was told approx. 12 months last year which seems accurate judging by the stage she is at - it is not a quick process. She also has level 3 and is the leader of the local Meithrin so inspected and known by CSSIW.

Having written that I have just noticed your location is Wallasey - same thing as above with OFSTED in England - the course needs to be done & paediatric first aid, safeguarding and food hygiene like Little Rabbits says. Either way your first port of call is your LA Family Information service
    Last edited by tulip0803; 21-04-2014 at 06:20 PM.