Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting the ball rolling...

Hi all,

I've currently booked on to 7 training courses over the next couple of months so I'm excited that I'm getting the process started but I've just looked at the CSSIW application and feeling completely overwhelmed.
    I'm convinced my house just won't be 'safe' enough! Any advice on things I can start doing to the house now in preparation?
    Thank you
    Zoe

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have children of your own? That was my first conclusion - my children are safe (ish!) so it was a pretty good basis to start

In a nutshell - stair gates, fire guard, cupboard and drawer catches, no trailing leads, nothing that can be pulled down, no curled-up ended rugs, socket covers ...... The list goes on but they are good starting points. We also have to remember that we work from our homes and therefore I've always tried to avoid things being too clinical. Children need an element of risk to be able to learn so don't beat yourself up if you miss anything. CSSIW are there to help and on your pre-reg inspection, they will give you a list of anything you need to do, you won't be turned down because you've forgotten something x

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The course will help you with the application form so put it away until you are doing it. If your area has a development worker they will help you with it - if not we will give you all the help we can.

As stargazer says safety is a good starting point. I have a stair gate at the bottom of the stairs, I have a fire guard on the fire place even though it isn't used, I have drawer/cupboard locks, fire blanket, smoke alarms, make sure if you have blinds they have safety cords or are tied up using a hitch thingy, medication put away. Bathroom products put away etc

Do not PANIC CSSIW are actually quite nice people and will help you - if you need to do something they will tell you to do it and give you a chance to sort it out. You do not need to buy everything before you register, you can buy as you go along

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both. I do have 3 children of my own but I also have a big St. Bernard and 3 cats and not sure what they'll think of that? She is the most gentle dog you'd ever meet though and a big part of the family I'm hoping with risk assessments in place this will be ok.
    We have stair gates, fireguard etc.
    Thanks again x

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zoehuman89 View Post
    Thank you both. I do have 3 children of my own but I also have a big St. Bernard and 3 cats and not sure what they'll think of that? She is the most gentle dog you'd ever meet though and a big part of the family I'm hoping with risk assessments in place this will be ok.
    We have stair gates, fireguard etc.
    Thanks again x
    I have 4 cats and until last year a largish dog (not a st Bernard though). You need to show how you can protect the children in your care. pooper scooping, cat litter trays, animal food, worming, injections, flea treating etc.

My animals can go upstairs where the childminding children don't go if it gets too much. They are taught to respect the animals. I have had many parents choose me because of my animals.