Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Quick question re: short term contracts

Hi Welsh Childminders,

I'm about to have a family visit at 10.30am and wanted to ask a quick question before they turn up.

I'm wondering whether to give them a contract to fill out that I've made myself for a short term contract rather than use one of my PACEY contracts. The little boy will be with me for three weeks and then never again.

Would you fill out a PACEY contract or fill out a two page contract you've created yourself? Would the CSSIW be ok with me giving out my own contract to sign or is that a no no? I would give them a PACEY child record form to fill and all my permission forms of course.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use my own contracts for short term and ad-hoc contracts. They are very simple and I ensure I get payment up front. CSSIW have been fine with them. I use my Pacey ones for proper contracts. CSSIW don't insist on Pacey contracts, Pacey want you to use their contracts to be able to fully access legal help if a parent doesn't pay. This shouldn't be a problem with short-term/ad-hoc contracts if payment is in advance.

Just make sure you get all other paperwork filled in too - permissions, child record. CSSIW want to know that you have used a contract (legal requirement in Wales) and that all other stuff has been completed.

July 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!!!! You star!
    I've never used anything but a PACEY contract so I was a bit nervous about using one I've come up with myself.

Thank you again!

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry coming to this a little late but I echo what Tulip says. I also use my own for very short term contracts.

July 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Manjay.

The meeting turned out to be a complete disaster. The little boy hit my son two maybe three times, bit him and tried to pull a little step from underneath him. He pushed my son, screamed and snatched toys off him. My son was inconsolable at one point. Mum kept telling me how badly behaved he could be and I'm sure she could see me getting more and more shocked.

I must think about the other children I have in my care, as well as my own children. For the three week period I would have this child, I don't think it's worth it considering the issues that would arise.

I've managed to hold off mum signing a contract and suggested he come along next week for a short, two hour trial session when I have my 20 month old son and a three year old girl but now I'm regretting my decision. My son and the little girl are so gentle, I think she'd also be traumatised by his behaviour.

I honestly don't know what to do!

Mum was talking about how he will run away from her, run out of parks and won't stop at pavements curbs, running straight out into the road. If he decides he doesn't like where you're going, he'll stop and walk the other way. He flipped out a couple of times while he was here; hitting mum and violently grabbing at her face.
    At no point did she raise her voice or (in my mind) manage his behaviour appropriately.

Sorry, this post has taken a complete change of subject!

Should I email/call her and cancel next week and explain why or should I wait for next week and see how it pans out? I must say though, I don't think I can do that to my son and the other child.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like youve already answered your own question. Stay strong and just imagine how your children will feel sharing their home with a child that shows those behaviours.

July 13
    Post Thanks / Like

She's emailed me this afternoon and asked if I would consider contacting his nursery and speak to the team leader to reassure me that he's not always like that.

I don't know. I think I saw a snapshot of normal behaviour. The way she was described him, he sounds like a horror most of the time!

I feel like I'm letting her and the boy down but I just can't risk him behaving like that around my lovely, calm, peaceful mindees and my children.

As I'm so new to childminding, I just don't know if in going down the correct route.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you feel about doing that? Dont feel pressured. Remember its your home/ business and family. Not forgetting your sanity.