Advise please
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Advise please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advise please

Hi this is my 1st post. Handed application in to CSSIW in August and have the inspector coming on Friday Morning. Am so nervous as not knowing what to expect when she comes and dont want to mess it up. Also I am not wanting to use the upstairs of my house for childminding but just wondering if I should have maybe risk assessed it? We are still in the process of renovating and a couple of rooms are not 100% finished. Any advice is much appreciated.

Registered Childminder since
    Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I'm in Wales too CSSIW are fine when they come out for pre inspection visits they'll go through your application form, look around your house for safety measures, have a little chat about the service you aim to provide and things like that. I only used 1 room upstairs as I sleep room and what was the only room they looked at and is the only one I risk assessed. If your bot going to use upstairs and you've got a stair gate at the bottom of the stairs then there's no way a child could go upstairs anyway. Hopefully all going well by the end of next week you'll be registered.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

I'm in Wales too. I agree with Jenna. They go through you application form and all the info that you sent in with it.

However my inspector checked all my house though I do not use it all just in case their is a hazard that needs to be dealt with (she even checked my cellar and attic as I have stairs up to it). I only use upstairs for the toilets I have a gate at the bottom of the stairs that stops them from going up - to be honest hey learn quite quickly that they don't go upstairs it is only new movers that want to climb the stairs.

If they want you to do anything they will ask you to do and write to confirm before they issue your certificate. My certificate states that I do not use upstairs except for the toilets.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both very much for your replies - really has put me at ease and feel a lot better :-) Feels like such a long time ago when I filled the application form in and will be over 8 months since I did the Cypop5. I just cant wait to get started now!

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

I was not going to use my upstairs for minding and had a stair gate in place. My Ofsted inspector still looked upstairs- what is she looking for... a drugs den? She found a shoe box of knives in the hall waiting to go up the loft. I said "oh ha ha I cleared out my kitchen drawer". Fortunately she saw the funny side.

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

It is quite a while since I had my pre reg visit but they are honestly there to help and point you in the right direction.

I did register some rooms upstairs initially although I don't use them now but as the children go to the toilet upstairs I have put catches high up on the doors so they can be kept locked. However at my pre reg my inspector wanted to look in all rooms to check (in her words) 'if you have any snakes in there'!!!!

What I always do is plan for the worst and that way you are covered as much as you possibly can be. I was once asked 'what if you have a climber who can get over the stair gate?'. Because I had already thought about this I was able to answer with a) the children wouldn't be out of my sight to enable them to do this and b) I have the added safety feature of the locks on the doors upstairs.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your reply Manjay. It all went really well - she was really happy with my application. No changes to be made or anything to add. So so pleased! She was so helpful and easy to talk to I don't know why I worried so much. Upstairs is to be registered too just incase I ever change my mind in the future. Will hopefully be registered by next week :-)

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats fab well done

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Still waiting to hear back from them with a registration date so hoping its all going ok now its been passed on to the panel. :-/

Post Thanks / Like

Yey :-) just had the phone call from CSSIW to say I'm now registered!! I already have 2 children down to srat ASAP. Any idea how long the Pacey insurance takes??

Post Thanks / Like

I though as soon as you paid? You tell them the start date! I registered with CSSIW in Sept and already been given the 2 weeks warning for my first inspection - argh!! X

Post Thanks / Like

Mysuri - really??? I knew she said to me I'd be inspected within the 1st 6months but was hoping it would be nearer the end of the 6months. Where abouts are you based?

Post Thanks / Like

My local authority sorted the insurance too. Came through straight away so am almost ready to go! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by derwen25 View Post
    Mysuri - really??? I knew she said to me I'd be inspected within the 1st 6months but was hoping it would be nearer the end of the 6months. Where abouts are you based?
    Barry vale of Glamorgan! You? I thought it was first 12 months! That will teach me!! Xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mysuri View Post

Barry vale of Glamorgan! You? I thought it was first 12 months! That will teach me!! Xx
    Im in Wrexham. Good luck with the inspection.