records we need to keep
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default records we need to keep

Right I'm getting all confused with this Eyfs. As we are in Wales we just follow the foundation phase of 3-7 is this right?
    Do we in Wales need to keep a learning journey for each child?
    If so what sort of things are written in it?
    Please can someone clarify this for me?
    Thank you

Ja-Lula-Bell*****minding

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We do not follow EYFS in Wales only childminders in England have to follow it.

In Wales we have the foundation Phase but unless you are inspected by ESTYN you do not have to follow it you just have to know about it (It covers all we do anyway).

A learning journal is not a requirement in Wales but it is Good Practice (going the extra mile). At present we are not required to do this but a new curriculum is under development from birth so things may change. A learning journal shows how a child learns and develops over time. It is something that you use to show examples of childrens work, observations etc to show progress linked to areas of learning. You keep the journal and show to parents (& inspectors) then give it to the child when they leave the setting.

CSSIW DO like to see at least a daily diary showing what a child has done and short obs etc and photos
    Last edited by tulip0803; 26-10-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Wales I do a scrapbook for all my mindees I put photos in it, short obs, wow moments pictures and such like. My inspector liked if they then get sent home when ***** leaves, however I do show parents regularly too so they can see what there child has been up to

4. Likes tulip0803 liked this post
    Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I echo what Tulip and Jenna have said.

What I would suggest is that you go through the NMS again and ensure you are fulfilling each specific part; For example Standard 6.10 requires that you provide regular information to parents about activities provided. One of the ways I do this is through children's individual scrapbooks. Standard 7.8 requires that you observe and record children to help plan for the next steps for the child's play. Again I incorporate some aspects of this in my scrapbooks. As I am also a provider of Early Entitlement for 3 year olds I tend to incorporate areas of learning into my scrapbooks but often this just helps me to decide if one area needs a bit of extra work.

If the child is old enough they help to choose what they want in their scrapbooks and often bring pictures from home to include.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh thank you all for your replies being new to the childminding scene it all seems so daunting at first but it's actually not as bad as it seems. X

Ja-Lula-Bell*****minding

7. Likes tracycoops liked this post
    Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ja-lula-belli View Post
    Oh thank you all for your replies being new to the childminding scene it all seems so daunting at first but it's actually not as bad as it seems. X

Ja-Lula-Bell*****minding
    I think that the key thing to remember when asking for guidance is to be aware that not everyone reading or replying to your posts will know that you are in Wales or in fact that we do work differently than England. If you have any paperwork or regulatory questions it is always best to ask in this section and one of us will usually be along to help