Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Contract help

Registered Childminder since
    mar 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Contract help

Doing a new contract today. Which policies do we need to give parents a copy of?( Where parents sign to say they received it) I know child protection is one of them but can't remember the others. I've lost my key to my padlock, don't want to rip the house apart until after parents go because for once this house is tidy! Lol

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was told by CSSIW that I needed to give parents copies of all my P&Ps so that they can refer to them whenever they need to. I give them all to them in a cheap plastic document folder. I get them to sign to say they have received, read and understood them all.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I list all my Policies on my Contracts because I expect my parents to abide by all of them. I have an 8 page Policy Document with them all in (13 of them).

I have one consent sheet which lists all the permissions I need, it lists all my Policies and my Complaints procedure. It then states that my parents have read, agree to and have received a copy of my Policies and Complaints procedure.

I give them a copy of all my Policies on paper because I want them to not be able to ever say I did not tell them something. It is a small cost (and an expense that can be offset for tax) to pay when you think of the income the Contract will generate.

4. Likes AliceK, smartbear liked this post
    mar 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear. I only gave out three policies to each of my parents! Thought that was all i was meant to do.. I'm due to update some contracts soon so will have to go through them all and get some copies...thanks x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chels55 View Post
    Oh dear. I only gave out three policies to each of my parents! Thought that was all i was meant to do.. I'm due to update some contracts soon so will have to go through them all and get some copies...thanks x
    You don't have to give them copies of any of them. I just think it is the polite and professional thing to do if I want them to take notice of them.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My policies are bound into my parent's info guide/prospectus, so they have the chance to see them before admission. They sign to say they have read them and understand they form part of the contract. I notify in my newsletter if I edit the content of any policy. I make it clear that copies are available on request, though only 1 parent has ever requested IIRC. Ofsted were happy with this set-up.

mar 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I was sure that 3 of them were requirements that's what I always did. I've just printed off copies of child protection. Complaints. Behaviour and medication/ illness. What else? I must be the worst person on this planet for organisation. Have spent the whole weekend catching up on piles of paperwork, all I want to do is look after the kids hate paperwork!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chels55 View Post
    I was sure that 3 of them were requirements that's what I always did. I've just printed off copies of child protection. Complaints. Behaviour and medication/ illness. What else? I must be the worst person on this planet for organisation. Have spent the whole weekend catching up on piles of paperwork, all I want to do is look after the kids hate paperwork!
    No, it is a requirement to have some Policies, there is no actual requirement to actually have any of them written down though most of us do because of course this is the best way to share them with parents and Ofsted.

I just find it easier to give them all to my parents.

I have a Parents Information folder for prospective parents to view. I then do a parents folder when they join me and this is when I give them the paper copy of all my Policies. The folder I give them has their copy of the Contract and copies of all the forms they have filled in and or signed for me. They have to be given a copy of your latest Ofsted report. I enclose a Parents Guide to EYFS. I do a welcome letter giving them my holiday dates for the year.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Chels is in Wales so is under CSSIW so the rules are slightly different, we have some policies that are requirements and others that are good practice and they have to be available to view so they need to be written down.

As I said my inspector told me when I registered with CSSIW in 2008 that I had to give each parent a copy of all my P&Ps. It does depend what P&Ps you have for your setting. Other childminders with other inspectors don't give out all their policies. I have had the same inspector since I started except for a brief 6 months when I wasn't due an inspection.

As Ricky says I feel it is professional to give out the rules that I want parents to abide by. I have my own copy of all my P&Ps along with other information for parents to view when they visit but when they sign contracts I give them the lot so that they can read them when they want.

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Standards 1 & 2 let you know what must be given to parents both before the placement starts and on contract signing. In addition to these requirements are a child protection policy/procedure.

I am the same as Tulip and provide parents with a full copy of all p & p's when we sign contracts. From my own point of view I know I would find it difficult to follow a list of P & P's if I didn't have them in front of me to refer back to so I feel it is unfair to expect parents to do the same.

12. Likes rickysmiths liked this post