First meeting with a parent
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First meeting with a parent

So iv just had a request to meet with a parent for the first time! I'm still waiting to be registered (any day now!)
    But I'm so niervous I just donno what she expecting me to say/do!
    Any tips would be grateful!
    Also in your 'parent packs' (I think thats what it's called) what do you include? It's obv the times, cost, activities/playgroups, meals.... Anything else? And if someone had one I could look at that would be awsome.

Tia Leah xx

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My parents pack includes:-
    • a brief personal introduction, about me and my setting/ethos.
    • a summary of the different types of childcare choices, with the pro's and cons of using a CM. At first this appears stupid: suggesting that a parent might not want to use a CM. In the long run I believe it helps. I've no wish to make a few quid out of a family whose needs/exectations are unsuited to what I provide: there'll only be problems later. I also include a summary of the financial side of CMing - so parents don't just sulk about the expense, but have some idea of my expenses, time, etc. There's also a few lines about the dangers of unregistered childcare and illegal minding, which I'm sad to say is rife around these parts.
    • Sample activities.
    • Sample meals/snacks.
    • Sample of our daily routine.
    • My Ofsted report.
    • My policies. I have no idea how many people read these, but they're all told they will sign to say they have done so. Even if they don't read them, I think this sends a message about the way I do things, and that I'm more than a dumping ground for children.
    • A step-by-step guide to the admissions process. This is good in stopping parents from trying to cut corners, rush the process, or claim they had no prior knowledge of things like being required to pay a deposit, etc.

Really, your pack needs to be personal to you. That involves sitting down and thinking about what you want it to achieve. To some CMs, a parent's pack is purely an advertising tool, by which to win clients (good or bad) at all costs. Mine is aimed at informing and selecting the 'right' clients who will have good relationships with me and not to store up problems for later.

And finally....... my parent's pack is never finished. I regard it as a 'work in progress', subject to regular revision in response to what parents say about it and issues that crop up which might've been better addressed from the outset. The first questionnaire I give to parents (a month after admission) concentrates heavily on the admissions process and the content of the pack.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just show yourself off as much as possible. Get some age appropriate resources out for the child to explore and interact with child as much as possible to show you're interested rather than parent thinking child is a business opportunity. I wouldn't go too much into specifics at this stage (fees, policies etc) as the parent just wants to gauge how the child will be with you and your setting. Maybe ask for an email address and email your parents pack beforehand or after the meeting so it can be read in their own time.

If all goes well ask them back for another meeting or settling in session with parent there as well.

Parents pack is similar to Bunyip's. You definitely want a section about yourself in there

4. Likes christine e liked this post
    July13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both. That's helped. I now this stuff but when it comes to it my mind just went blank lol. Ill be making sure I have everything tonight ready for Friday xx

6. Likes Rick liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't forget your statement of purpose, have one for the parents to take away with them. I have brief info similar to bunyip & Rick's about choosing childminder, routines, menus, aticivities etc which parents can take home. I have a portfolio for parents to view which includes my P&Ps, certificates, CRBs, insurances, previous inspection reports, Quality of care reports. I don't give parents a copy of P&Ps until they have signed contracts.

Also explain to parent that you are waiting for your registration to be finalised. Normally CSSIW give out your reg number to you and send the certificates, after translation, a few weeks later. You are able to mind from the time CSSIW issue you your registration number, they notified me by phone then sent a confirmation letter, and she can confirm this with the local CSSIW office.

July13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all. Iv just made a little booklet for the parents to take away with them, with info on myself, routines, meals ect...
    Ill also make up a file of all my polls & any other paper work incase they'd like to have a look then.
    Wish me luck xx

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Pob lwc/Good luck

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

hiya I wish you luck let us know how you get on

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

hi how did the meet go x

July13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rachelmama View Post
    hi how did the meet go x
    It's tomorrow afternoon Hun. Iv got everything ready & hoping iv got all the answers they'll need. Ill let you know how it goes tomorrow once they've been xx

13. Likes Rick liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tulip0803 View Post
    Don't forget your statement of purpose, have one for the parents to take away with them. I have brief info similar to bunyip & Rick's about choosing childminder, routines, menus, aticivities etc which parents can take home. I have a portfolio for parents to view which includes my P&Ps, certificates, CRBs, insurances, previous inspection reports, Quality of care reports. I don't give parents a copy of P&Ps until they have signed contracts.
    Can I ask, why don't you give parents a copy of P&Ps until they have signed contracts? Is that because of the cost of paper and printing?

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

hiya hope it all goes well for you good luck x

16. Likes Rick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck x

July13
    Post Thanks / Like

Sadly the lady has had to cancel today as her & her daughter are ill. But is going to ring me next week to rearrange. But in other good news, I spoke to my inspector/assessor (not sure what she goes under) for the first time today, and she made an appointment there and then to come see me to do the house checks. So hopefully ill be registered then! Xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Langaleah View Post
    So iv just had a request to meet with a parent for the first time! I'm still waiting to be registered (any day now!)
    But I'm so niervous I just donno what she expecting me to say/do!
    Any tips would be grateful!
    Also in your 'parent packs' (I think thats what it's called) what do you include? It's obv the times, cost, activities/playgroups, meals.... Anything else? And if someone had one I could look at that would be awsome.

Tia Leah xx
    I just keep it very relaxed and interact with the child and chat to the parents about the child. I give them a copy of my contract to take home with them and then meet up with them again with any other questions they may have. They'll probably have lots of questions but the main thing is to relax :-)

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

awww shame they cancelled but dont worry im sure it will be fine xxx and fingers crossed you will be reistered by then have you spoken to a development officer hun x

21. Likes Rick liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    Can I ask, why don't you give parents a copy of P&Ps until they have signed contracts? Is that because of the cost of paper and printing?
    They can take my own P&Ps which includes my inspection reports and yearly Quality of care reports away to borrow but I have printed and put so many P&P booklets together (in plastic folders) only to never see person again (they never return them even if asked). My one is bound differently so they do return it!?!

So I now give them their own copy when they sign contracts. I am in Wales and CSSIW advised me that I must give all parents a copy to keep. My P&Ps, statement of purpose and annual Quality of care report run to 71 pages! So it does boil down to cost in the end.