New child minder in need of SERIOUS advice!!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    jan 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New child minder in need of SERIOUS advice!!!!

Hi i have just become registered as a child minder and I feel really quite nervous!!!! I just wanted some advice about paperwork really!!! Should I use all about me booklets, Is planning done on a daily basis as well as weekly and how often should assessments be carried out. I was planning on using a tick list method as well as written observations. Also do I need to put together a welcome pack for parents? EEEEEEEk I am feeling quite stressed about it. thank you xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Em6358 View Post
    Hi i have just become registered as a child minder and I feel really quite nervous!!!! I just wanted some advice about paperwork really!!!

Should I use all about me booklets,

You need somewhere to record children's home interests, likes and dislikes, medical information, schooling or other settings etc... an 'all about me' form is as good a place as any to put it all.

Some childminders call it 'information about me' or 'child information form'

Is planning done on a daily basis as well as weekly

It is up to you! I plan for the week - the children do what they do and I write some bits down after the event - but that's me. I have quite a few after schoolers so I need to be mega organised.

We all work differently - try a few different ways and see what works for you!!

and how often should assessments be carried out.

I have part timers - I try to do 1 x outing; 1 x inside; 1 x outside; 1 x home observation a month. Every 6 months I write a summary assessment to check the child is making progress.

I CHOOSE to do this - it is not a requirement to do assessments beyond the 2 - 3 year progress check.

Scroll down here for more info - Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) 2012 | Foundation Years

I was planning on using a tick list method as well as written observations.

Tick lists are a definite no-no. Use the Development Matters guidance to note observations depending on what you see and hear the children doing and saying... make a note with a date when you have an observation (yours or from home) that links in with the type of things it says in Development Matters

Also do I need to put together a welcome pack for parents?

EYFS requirements 3.72 - 3.74 talk about what information you must share with parents.

You should put something together - a welcome booklet, a file of information, something you can email - it's up to you.

EEEEEEEk I am feeling quite stressed about it. thank you xx
    Don't get stressed, just take it one document at a time. Hope that helps start you off - there is lots of information in free resources at the top of the forum as well

3. Likes The Juggler liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a local childminder group or toddlers where childminders go, try and make friends with some and ask to see what theydo, you will see a variety that way and have an idea what sorts of things are possible then work out the way that fits you best. Ask your local authority if you have a development worker you could have a visit from, they are full of ideas.

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

You've posted in the CSSIW section -Are you in Wales? The EYFS doesn't apply to childminders in Wales ( I' m in Wales too).

I choose to plan a topic each month and do activities to support it. I do a daily diary for each child which is quite detailed and includes pictures and observations. I have made my own 'all about me' form which parents fill out before he child starts and we review when necessary.

Hope that helps

jan 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

Thank you sooooooooooooooooo much for all your help. You have really helped me loads xxthanks

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are in Wales the requirements are not quite as prescriptive as in England. We all do it differently and as long as you are meeting the standards in relation to planning and recording then you will be fine.

I don't do monthly/termly themes as I prefer to follow the children's interests. If they show an interest in a particular subject I will expand on that and incorporate activities that aim to cover all areas of the Foundation Phase. All my preschool children have a daily diary with basic info that parents need to know each day and some photos to show what the child has been doing. I then do a more detailed scrap book which has all my observations linked to next steps, photos, childrens artwork and anything else I think is relevant.

As you go along you will find a way of working that suits you. Good luck xx

Post Thanks / Like

I did my childminding course in 2010 and past all aspects all i needed to do was complete my policies and portfolio and get my house inspected.. However, my job at that time became full time in my primary school so I didnt become registered as such.. Am just wondering if anyone can help or give advice now.. Am I supposed to redo the unit and exam or just my files?? Advice welcomed.. :-) oh by the way im in Wales too if that helps :-D

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m155ejh View Post
    I did my childminding course in 2010 and past all aspects all i needed to do was complete my policies and portfolio and get my house inspected.. However, my job at that time became full time in my primary school so I didnt become registered as such.. Am just wondering if anyone can help or give advice now.. Am I supposed to redo the unit and exam or just my files?? Advice welcomed.. :-) oh by the way im in Wales too if that helps :-D
    I would contact your local cssiw office for clarification on this. It may be that you can just fill in the application form again without needing to redo the course.