Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Crossing over the boarder!

Hi All,

I have been a childminder in England for 3 years which I finished in September in favour of a TA job in a school.

However, We are now moving over the boarder in the Abergavenny area of S E Wales.

I think I might like to start up Childminding again once we get there but have a few questions about the differences.

Mainly I was wondering if there are any major ways in which the regulations differ, ratios etc? I noticed someone also said CSSIW visit unexpectently and as frequently as every three months??

Is anyone in this particular area and able to advise me on the demand and general childcare fees?

Is there still a start up grant to help with health and Safety in the home? ( I read around the £300 mark).

Has anyone on here been in a similar situation?

Many THanks for your help
    Stanfield

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello I am near Abergavenny

Yes the regulations do differ a bit in Wales - we don't follow the EYFS but we do follow the Foundation phase for children aged 3-7. Have a look here http://www.*************/childminder...s_-_cssiw.aspx for more information on registering in Wales.

General demand for childminding is good - all the childminders I know are full to bursting. To get a general idea of fees look here Monmouthshire Family Information Service - Childcare and events for families in Abergavenny, Caldicot, Chepstow and Monmouth and search for childminders.

Monmouthshire, don't seem to have much funding for supporting childminders (things are getting better slowly though ) There is a grant for safety stuff (I am not sure how much money, best to check) and they will fund the online course for you if you need to do it??? If you want to know when the next breifing session is best to contact Hannah at Monmouthshire FIS. Our CSSIW office is in Merthyr | South East Wales

Hope that helps a bit!

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Fab advice from Polly2 but just to add that CSSIW do NOT turn up at your door every 3 months! Inspections are every 2 years currently and you receive a pack to complete before they come out to inspect. Once this pack is returned they then do an unannounced inspection which should be within 3 months.

Good luck with the move

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the above info - especially the relief that I wont be inspected every three months!

I will get in touch with the FIS as my next step and have a chat with them.
    Stanfield

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi I was also a childminder in England and I moved to Wales. You will have to re-register completely with CSSIW and it took me 11 months to do it. CSSIW wheels move very slowly so you will have to hassle them! They try to register within 6 months of an applicaton being handed in though. You will be given as named inspector shortly after you hand your application pack in.

I had to attend a breifing session to tell me all about becoming a childminder . They even discussed back and forth about me re-doing the ICP course "for child protection" but I had attended a child protection course in Wales and just completed the Certificate in Childminding Practice just before I moved so they decided I didn't need to.

You will all (anyone over 16 years) need new CRB checks and in Wales we have to re-new them every 3 years. You will have to submit your policies & paperwork that you plan to use with your application form (My inspector told me mine was the most thorough she had seen before not surprising as I had been minding 4 years already in England). In Wales the final part of the registration process is the pre-reg inspection so it does seem back to front from England.

In Wales they focus much more on care than education although they want to see planning and obs but not on OFSTEDs scale.

Ratios are similar 6 children under the age of 8 of which not more than 3 under 5 and of those 3 no more than 2 under 18 months. Children of 3 & 4 attending school full time are classed as 5 year olds.

Good luck with your move