Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    june 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy 1st unannounced inspection

Hi all.
    Cssiw Inspector phoned yday saying she's missed me 3 times now so I hav to give more detailed view of my movements for next week. So now I kno she's coming I'm really worried. What do they look for / ask? What paperwork needs to be up to date etc.
    I don't seem to do much so I'm really panicking that I'm not doin enough now. I've had a tough 1st year with ppl raising false issues / a false complaint and I really don't need or want a bad inspection. Any help gladly received.
    Thank you

feb12
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink DANIELLE

Quote Originally Posted by mama&baba View Post
    Hi all.
    Cssiw Inspector phoned yday saying she's missed me 3 times now so I hav to give more detailed view of my movements for next week. So now I kno she's coming I'm really worried. What do they look for / ask? What paperwork needs to be up to date etc.
    I don't seem to do much so I'm really panicking that I'm not doin enough now. I've had a tough 1st year with ppl raising false issues / a false complaint and I really don't need or want a bad inspection. Any help gladly received.
    Thank you
    I got mine next week aswell,im stressing.I spoke to a childminder in my area and she just had her inspection.
    She told me to make sure my paper work is up to date,so look over that,they do check that your house is still safe,do you know who your inspector is? x

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't panic. They are there to help. It is a bonus when you have an idea when they are coming. I would suggest going through the latest version of the National Minimum Standards and just ensure you have at least the required paperwork in place. Anything over and above that is a bonus. You will find my inspection report on my website fi you want to have a look. This may give you an idea of the kind of things they look for. BUT bare in mind that I have been minding for 6 years and they don't expect you to have everything perfect for your first inspection (plus I have OCD where paperwork is concerned so I do way more than the NMS requires). If you want any specific help about paperwork then pm me your email address and I will help in any way I can.

jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this so from now on? Unannounced inspections??
    Some could have a fit depending on the time they enter my house, seeing the mess that is sometimes spread everywhere.
    So in return I could have a fit if I suddenly saw an inspector at my door!!

july 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Me too!!

Hi all,
    Im in the same boat, I registered in July and had a phonecall yesturday askin gif they could send my self assesment pack via email ready for inspection, I also receievd the parents questionaire's today in the post, Im starting to panic!! is my first visit un-announced? I thought I was told when they were coming for the first one then the second one in another 6 months was un-announced, Any help and advice on that mountain of paperwork would be grately appreciated!! I am dreading filling out the self assesment forms

Thanks everyone x

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfi View Post
    Is this so from now on? Unannounced inspections??
    Some could have a fit depending on the time they enter my house, seeing the mess that is sometimes spread everywhere.
    So in return I could have a fit if I suddenly saw an inspector at my door!!
    i THINK IN WALES AND SCOTLAND they do unannounced inspections and qoute me if wrong more frequently also

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Inspections are unannounced in Wales - within a 3 month time frame. It's the best way in my opinion. That way inspectors are not seeing a false representation of what goes on in the setting. It is much easier to keep up false ways of working for the one day of an announced inspection. Much harder to keep it up indefinitely

8. Likes Rubybubbles liked this post
    Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    Inspections are unannounced in Wales - within a 3 month time frame. It's the best way in my opinion. That way inspectors are not seeing a false representation of what goes on in the setting. It is much easier to keep up false ways of working for the one day of an announced inspection. Much harder to keep it up indefinitely
    oddly living in England I agree with your way! but I try and work everyday like they are coming

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

The guidance document on the bottom of this page is useful if you haven't seen it. Remember the more you write on your SAS the less questions the inspector should have to ask (assuming they have read it before they arrive)

june 11
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks manjay, just read your report. Well done, your setting sounds fab!!
    Apart from a daily register and up to date risk assessments, what other paperwork is there. I don't have activity plans as I attend a group every day, either am or pm where they will do an activity, so the time in my house tends to be free play. Is this wrong?
    Will the inspector look at any account keeping etc?
    How long do they stay for? Still really on edge about it all. Worried I'm not doin what I should.
    Does the report have to be given to parents afterwards?
    Thank yoooouuuuuu

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to ensure you at least meet the minimum requirements. If you haven't looked through them in a while it is really useful to go through and tick everything off. In particular think how you will show to the inspector how you meet standard 7, Opportunities for play and learning and Standard 8, Nurture and Well-being. Make sure you are aware of all the documents mentioned in the NMS like the Foundation Phase framework, UNCRC, SEN code of conduct for Wales, All wales child protection procedures etc

Going to groups and free play is not wrong but you do have to show you are meeting individual needs and how you plan to extend a child's learning.

Length of time they stay can vary. Mine was with me about 3 hours last time but their target nowadays is supposed to be an hour!!!

I have never known them to look at accounts but it is in the standards that they can ask to see them. I would say that this may well be used in the case of daycare business who are under investigation.

The report must be available to parents. Mine is always on my website but if not I would be giving a copy to parents. Remember there is a question on the parents questionnaire where CSSIW ask parents if you gave them a copy of your last report.

If you have any more in depth questions please pm me your email address.

amanda x