Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Park after School - Is there such as thing as "too often"

Hi, I have three of my own children and currently have three mindees after school, one age 3, one age 6 and one age 7. As the weather has been good last week we went to the park everyday after school until about 4.15. One of the mums picks her mindee up from there. All the children enjoy it and I do ask them after the school pick up if they want to go to the park or back to my setting.

But it has been brought to my attention that other cm's are saying that I go there too much and it is not varied enough, is this the case as I dont want the mums thinking this too but not saying it to me. Can you go to the park too much? If they came back to my setting and it was nice I would play with them in the garden.

What do you think?

Helen
    x

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think other childminders should concentrate on evaluating and improving their own practice, and stop worrying about what you're up to.

If you want my opinion, I think as long as you can justify what you do then there is no problem. Kids need to let off steam after school and there is no better place for that than out in the fresh air. If however you take them there to avoid having them in your home then that would be a bit different! But it doesn't sound like that to me.

Tell them to bog off!

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Milli147 View Post
    I think other childminders should concentrate on evaluating and improving their own practice, and stop worrying about what you're up to.

If you want my opinion, I think as long as you can justify what you do then there is no problem. Kids need to let off steam after school and there is no better place for that than out in the fresh air. If however you take them there to avoid having them in your home then that would be a bit different! But it doesn't sound like that to me.

Tell them to bog off!
    I agree! Kids are happy, parents happy, nothing to do with anyone else!!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see a problem with that. The children have chosen what they want to do and for the older ones it's great to be out after school. They will still be learning through their play though surely?

TheBTeam Guest

Not so much now, but when i had a good few after schoolers we used to stop off at the park on the field between house and school every day, they used to get the hump if for any reason we couldnt, i just made sure on the really warm days i took drinks etc with me.

If you are doing what the children want and everyone is happy I would tell the others to mind their own business, they are probably jealous cos there kids dont want to and they have to entertain them at home!

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

I always make the most of a nice day and go to the park after school. We don't get good weather all that often so enjoy it when we can. Children happy and parents happy, oh yes and childminder happy
    Ali xx

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine play in the garden everyday after school - in pretty much all weathers. My garden has lots of things for them to do, but not as much as a park! I would love to be able to go to the park, but one parent picks up at 4pm so not enough time.

Tell them to mind their own business
    Grindal

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No Park Today

Thank for all your replies - thought it was fine but other cm's can sometimes make me paranoid as try to keep myself to myself and wont get involved in all the playground talk.

But Wont be going to park today after all as just had a call from the school to say my little girl is not well and can I pick her up, earache, so gonna bring them back and let them play in the garden and have some messy play time ... wonder how many moans the children will have on the way back home when they find out no park.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Grindal,

Why not ask the parent to pick up from the park at 4.00. Thats what one of my mindees mum does, it also give her a change to observe my interation with my other mindees and she always stays for a chat. I found its a good way to get to know the mums and their families.

Helen
    x

Pipsqueak Guest

If the kids are enjoying it and you are enjoying it - then STUFF THE NOSEY OLD KNOW_IT ALLS

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    If the kids are enjoying it and you are enjoying it - then STUFF THE NOSEY OLD KNOW_IT ALLS
    couldn't have said it better myself

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helengreen13 View Post
    Grindal,

Why not ask the parent to pick up from the park at 4.00. Thats what one of my mindees mum does, it also give her a change to observe my interation with my other mindees and she always stays for a chat. I found its a good way to get to know the mums and their families.

Helen
    x
    I dont think a collection from the park would work for us TBH. I live in North London so parking is difficult at the best of times, especially at the park after school on a sunny day, and the actual park part of the park (where the swings and slides and things are) are a good ten minute walk from the nearest car parking spaces and could be upto about 20 mins.

Nice idea, but not all that practical for us!
    Grindal

onceinabluemoon Guest

We go to the park most days too. I dont have after schoolies now but used to take them every day.

The thing is, we live in England (or Scotland, Wales etc) not the Caribbean. It rains. A lot! and therein comes your variation in activities. I say make the most of the good weather and enjoy yourselves, plenty of time for indoor activities when it rains

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

when i start walking the school run we will be coming home THROUGH the park and there is no way that i wont allow the children to have half hours mad dash and play! how mean would it be eh? The get so much from the play park dont they, doesnt it lift your heart to see them enjoying themselves with such abandonment? I agree, ignore the others and carry on giving your mindees the fun that they deserve good for you x
    What's for you, wont pass by you

Feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My children and mindees generally play in the garden most evenings after school. We have gone to the park a few times but they prefer my garden. However, if they preferred the park, we'd go there. For goodness sake, we're supposed to be ensuring that these children get fresh air, exercise, meet new people, enjoy their time with us - what better place to do these things than the park? Childminders in my town go to the park every day after school. I just don't pick up from the same schools as them as I do other towns.
    Mrs.M x

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

why on earth!

We go to the park all the time after school, or into the garden, or out on a walk ect ect.....

The little ones love it as we have wind down between 1-3 due to sleeping children ect, and the older ones just love to race around, everyday they ask

following the children's interest

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes we go the the park after school. On lovely summer days, I've also taken a salad type tea and had a picnic there with the after schoolies. They love it. It is a change in their routine during term time. The parents thought it was fun for the children too

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

id tell them to mind their own business too... i go to the park most days its across the road from my house so drop off bags get changed and off we go. come home in time for me to do dinner...
    Dust its Fairy Dust

Post Thanks / Like

I'm betting these other cm's don't use the park very often themselves............

It's no-one's business but your own how often you go to the park so just ignore them and enjoy.

Hope your dd is OK

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Oct 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a garden so I go to my local park every day (unless we go to a different park, beach, library etc). And by every day I mean every day, rain or shine, unless the weather would be extreme (it hasn't yet). Usually we go 3-4 days every week to this particular park, and the children LOVE it.

It's a wonderful park with play ground, duck pond, wild garden, dog park, scented garden...

Carry on as you were, enjoy your park, and tell them to bug off!

xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast