Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Fairy gardens

Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Fairy gardens

The Smurfs houses in McDonald's happymeals at the moment would make excellent fairy houses.

It has also been suggested that if you put one of the battery tealights in that works well too.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

2. Likes bunyip, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    The Smurfs houses in McDonald's happymeals at the moment would make excellent fairy houses.

It has also been suggested that if you put one of the battery tealights in that works well too.
    :0) great idea! ... not that I need an excuse to go to macdonalds!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post

My granddaughter has six of these. We put the 'twinkling' red battery-operated tea lights in them when I saw your post. Looks like The Great Fire of Smurf-don.

5. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it only my family that sniggers when we hear someone talk about a fairy garden? We were visiting DS at uni recently and had a wander round some local shops. I saw some cute little bits in one shop and said they'd be lovely for my fairy garden...DS left the shop

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think childminders should give each other the heads up when the happy meal toys are particularly good!

We got one yesterday too. Fairies have never really taken off here, despite many attempts by me over the years. I loved them as a child. So our little smurf house is currently housing our hexbug, which is currently all the rage here.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I think childminders should give each other the heads up when the happy meal toys are particularly good!

I QUITE AGREE!

We got one yesterday too. Fairies have never really taken off here, despite many attempts by me over the years. I loved them as a child. So our little smurf house is currently housing our hexbug, which is currently all the rage here.
    I LOVE FAIRIES TOO, BUT NEVER REALLY BEEN A BIG HIT WITH ANYONE ELSE HERE EITHER!

SORRY ... DON'T KNOW WHY IN CAPS ... USING PHONE!

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

So off to McD's I'll go. Thanks for the idea. I've got a fairy door propped up against a tree in my garden. The children have never touched it as I said it would disappear and if the little fairy was out she'd never get home. I find all sorts of 'presents' left by the door it for the fairy.

12. Likes SYLVIA liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a big box of 'technology toys'. Technically they are all McDonalds toys.....going back to when my boys were young so probably 25 years! They always used to move in some way or another, wind up, twist, pull back, push, pull etc... so when the lads had finished with them I took them in to school and our LEA technology advisor discovered my collection and raved on every early years course about how they are great examples of 'how things work' and early maths. Children over the years gave me their old McDonald toys to add to what became their favourite box. Lots of sessions about sorting, finding how they work, learning to wind, how far did they go, how long did it take...
    When I left that school they presented me with a big box wrapped with a big bow...the year 6 had gone through the box and given me a selection...it had been part of a lesson - which ones and why should I take with me, it seems. ( I had, unknown to them, already acquired my own starting set from my boys back in our house) but it was a nice gift as the children new how much I liked them and welcomed any donations with a special thank you letter and a promise to care for them.
    The toys still work too, proving that McDonalds are good quality.
    I don't have any youngsters so don't get the opportunity now....good to hear that they are still producing good ones. I might just pop in in the holidays....love the tea light idea.
    Thank you for signposting.
    Fairy gardens.....I find the LO's enjoy the process of making them, explore them...then the interest wanes....so we make new ones in different places ....then borrow from the old neighbouring fairies ...and it all starts again. I love it when it's the school holidays, I clear away all children related items from my garden as I am term time only, but set up MY OWN fairy garden, without children interfering, using my favourite items. The last few LO's who have left have given me a garden centre voucher and I usually treat myself to nice little pieces.

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a fairy garden, with around a metre of landscape round it including a waterfall, river bridges and lots more. I've made a well, pond and goodness knows what else. OR should say I had a fairy garden because when I came back off holiday the foxes had eaten most of the bits, trampled over the plants and scattered the rest of the bits all over the garden. Back to the drawing board here but I really enjoy doing it

15. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you - what a great excuse to go to macdonalds!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

LOL! ....

guess what .... I just 'happened' to go to mcds yesterday! and now I am the proud owner of several Smurf houses!

18. Likes FussyElmo, Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    LOL! ....

guess what .... I just 'happened' to go to mcds yesterday! and now I am the proud owner of several Smurf houses!
    I have 5 and Im eyeing up the old wheelbarrow to become the fairy garden. i also have lots of tyres which never seem to get used so maybe paint a few of them
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door