Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Ideas welcome

Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ideas welcome

Hi all, my first time posting on the forum. I am currently caring for a child who will not be going to a pre-school, therefore i need to get her school ready. How do you all go about this?
    do you use printable pages, carry on as you normally would with all the eyfs children etc? We do recognising names, shapes, counting, independence in dressing and personal hygiene, just wondering if i am missing anything.
    Thanks xx

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would just carry on as you do for other EYFS children going to school in September, it may be worth going to toddler groups that have similar ages of children - in our town the childminders run a toddler session that is quite structured, with a set routine eg: a couple of craft activities then free play until snack time - all the children sit up together and have to wait quietly until snack is brought out for them to help themselves to - we all work as a team and talk to other childminder's children, help the children sort out any squabbles, children help tidy up before story and singing time. (We all take it in turns to plan a theme for the week - that person is then responsible for providing the craft resources and something like a rice table or playdough, we generally work in two's and someone else will do story & singing on a similar theme) - it's lovely to see how as the children get older that they feel confident to leave their childminder and edge closer to the front of the mat to interact more and join in with the singing.

I do Jolly phonics with my 3 & 4 year olds, but it may be worth asking the school this child will be starting which phonic style they follow and what their definition of "School Readiness" is. I have a laminated name card for each child that they trace over using tracing paper and I encourage them to try to write letters from their name on their art work. I do lots of number games eg: Uno, frustration, Snugglebugs to aid number recognition and have started doing dot to dot with them too.

3. Likes SYLVIA liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you ready? Good practice in school readiness - Independent Childminders

Sarah707 has made a series of guides to school readiness... I think it might have been part of her blog? Maybe she'll be along to signpost it.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I looked after a child last year who didn't go to pre-school.

I think it's the practical things you need to think about, so as well as carrying on encouraging her with number & letter recognition, counting, writing etc, I introduced her to the idea of lining up, putting her hand up when she wanted something, listening to others, waiting for her turn to talk, sitting on the floor while listening to a story. Then of course there's making sure they can do their own coats & shoes, open their lunchboxes, put things in their bags.

6. Likes hectors house, AliceK liked this post