Fine motor skills activity - theme GARDENING - 2 and 3 years old
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    04/4/11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fine motor skills activity - theme GARDENING - 2 and 3 years old

Can anyone help me with a fantastic activity idea to work on 2-3 years fine motor skills and using the theme "gardening"?

I am not thinking plant a seed, since this was already done.

Also ideas for circle time "gardening" theme much appreciated.

Thanks

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's better to think of the movements you are trying to improve and then how you can implement it, without trying to link a theme to it straight away.

With regards to circle time you could just talk about what children know about gardening there are so many different directions the conversations could go in.

I have given up trying to work to link everything to a theme.

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    04/4/11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    However this is an task that I need to do at a playgroup. There won't be much time to do it, so it can't be complicated or take a long time.
    My assessor who will be observing me asked for an art and craft activity based around fine motor skills and the playgroup asked for the theme to be gardening so it will fit in their planning.
    The only thing I know about the kids: 2-3 year olds....

04/4/11
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh and re: Circle time: I have ordered some books from the library and thinking up some songs too.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Painting stones; painting with soil; threading leaves ; make some weaving looms from sticks; children add garden stuff to it:flower heads, leaves long grasses; use seeds to fill an area of a picture with glue; paint flower pots; make a scarecrow...make little gardens on lids: add soil, flower heads, gravel, stones, grass cuttings...and perhaps colour a pic of a fairy on cardboard pop on a stick ...make it a fairy garden .....just a start with some suggestions off the top of my head. Will think on?...

7. Likes hectors house, Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cpgp View Post
    Oh and re: Circle time: I have ordered some books from the library and thinking up some songs too.
    Find a little seed is a gorgeous song for little ones!

Goes like this -

"Find a little seed,
    Plant it in the ground,
    Wait for it grow,
    Don't disturb it,
    Don't expect to see,
    Changes over night,
    If you wait a while,
    You'll find new life,
    Sun shine will come,
    Rain drops will fall,
    Your little seed will grow again,
    Soon there will be,
    A day
    when your seed blossoms and grows."

A simple little song perfect for this age group

It is an echo song too so each one of them lines is said twice.
    Add actions for gross motor movements.
    We did this for a class assembly one year and went down a storm and looked so sweet!

Will have to have a think for fine motor skills linked to gardening and come back to you if I can.

One thing that springs to mind is - how about tracing over dotted lines - the stems of the flower either with pens or finger tips in paint. You could see if some templates are available online and if not make some of your own.

You could also draw a variety of flowers with different shaped stems outside in chalk and give the children paint brushes and water to trace over your chalk marks with their wet paint brushes.

As I say I will have another think and let you know if I can think of anything else xxx

9. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    04/4/11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

This will need to be done inside due the setting's routine.
    I am expected to do another activity outside and that is already sorted.
    I saw on the net the idea of making bird feeders by threading cereals with holes in it (cheerios) on pipe cleaners, and make it in a shape like a hook to hang in tree and etc...
    Good idea?

Love the paint with finger tips over dots! Maybe will do that too!

I have already done an Autumn picture with leaves so don't want to use leaves again.

Also want to avoid soil/flower pot/etc as I think is a bit too obvious and I am sure is in their planning already...

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The cheerios/pipe cleaner activity is perfect! I love the painting stones idea. You could use cotton buds for paint brushes, or even use water instead of paint for some stones. You could get the children to add googly eyes and make them into garden animals/ornaments. Or they could glue feathers onto pictures of birds that they might see in the garden - then it links to your bird feeder activity.

12. Likes hectors house, FloraDora liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The cheerios activity sounds lovely - and easy to differentiate for differing skill levels too. Easy - pipe cleaners stand in playdough so child only has to place cheerios onto them , moderate child holds pipe cleaner independently , difficult replace pipecleaner with string / shoelace .....
    You can get coloured cheerios too - get some colour language or pattern making going to extend the learning.......

This might be appearing on my planning soon!

14. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    04/4/11
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh lovely!
    Will do the feather sticking at the bird picture to link to the bird feeder.

As I said, not enough time to do all the fun things, it is only a 3 hour playgroup with other activities going on, circle/snack time and outside play.
    Love the stone with goggly eyes idea too!!! Will do at home for sure!

Thanks everyone!

16. Likes Maza liked this post