Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: after schoolies

Registered Childminder since
    aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default after schoolies

Hi,
    Am looking for some inspiration, have just started with a couple of very active after school kids that are causing a little trouble with younger ones, I need a good activity/craft for them to do when we get back from school that will keep them seated and calmer....!! any tips?!

Post Thanks / Like

I find a set routine, giving age appropriate responsibility, firm boundary setting and giving them some choice ie asking what activities they would like, food choices for snack, letting them do simple cooking/prep toward snack making it clear that they can do different things because they are older. You won't be able to do all they ask and some things will take a bit of organising and prep for you. Mine wanted to do cloud catching, so we worked together to make a board game x

3. Likes MINWOOD liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Annabelle View Post
    Hi,
    Am looking for some inspiration, have just started with a couple of very active after school kids that are causing a little trouble with younger ones, I need a good activity/craft for them to do when we get back from school that will keep them seated and calmer....!! any tips?!
    I love after school care and the older children
    My experience of them is that they are often in need of a good run to get rid of their energy after hours of sitting down
    You could walk home and let them free to recharge...or take to a playground for just 15mins on the way home

They are often very hungry and I found that after a good snack they would calm down and become very engaged until dinner time and play with the younger ones very well...low blood sugar can cause disruptive behaviour

They also want to chill and often have a need for a space of their own...I always allowed a short time for tv...parents in agreement on this...or out in the garden to pursue their interests

If you collect at 3.15 and get home at ...say...3.45...they only have a short time to engage in an activity...you need to supervise while getting dinner ready.... it can be stressful all round

Giving them responsibilities does do the trick...like asking them to set up their own games, read to little ones, do construction that is not available at school and even play card games or Scrabble...mine loved that

Hope it works for you

5. Likes MINWOOD liked this post
    Glitter Guest

I have a box for the older ones (It looks like a large treasure chest) . It has good quality felt tips, paint sets, special sequins, small beads for threading, sharp scissors, balls of wool, etc.

I found the older ones like to have resources just for them. They are responsible for keeping it all tidy, and for letting me know if anything is running out. Once a week I put something new in the box (last time it was some polystyrene cups I found in the cupboard) and they usually think of something to do with it.

7. Likes MINWOOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not registered yet, but I have a couple of my DD's friends round after school for tea frequently, and I find their favourite activity is junk modelling.

I have a box full of toilet tissue tubes, empty plastic bottles, yoghurt pots, bits of fabric, etc... and they love to make things, it keeps them occupied for ages! xx

9. Likes MINWOOD liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO children who come in from school do not want to sit down as they have been doing all day - mine will go from activity to activity, inside and out.

I would suggest talking to them and asking what they want to do.
    Debbie

11. Likes MINWOOD liked this post
    July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I always walk my after schoolers home from school then they have a drink and something to eat. Then give them a choice between three activities that I vary. One is usually outdoors, one is craft based, and the other is toy based. After an hour we all come together for story time. Normally I have a book that I read with them over a few weeks. The craft activities that I offer early in the session are normally related, or relatable to the book that we have been reading. When we are reading it try to make it really interactive by asking them their opinions, lots of questions etc.

Then when I have them in the school holidays we normally do some extended project work based on one of the books we wee reading during the school term.

13. Likes MINWOOD liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I find there are 2 types of schoolies:

1. Those who are exhausted by a day at school, and just want to rest.
    2. Those who are frustrated by behind cooped up at school all day, and have boundless amounts of energy to run off.

(I somehow contrive to have at least 1 of each type at all times.)

Similarly, there are 2 types of CMs:

1. Those with a limitless supply of ideas, inspiration and things to do with schoolies.
    2. Me............

15. Likes loocyloo, holly161207, MINWOOD liked this post