may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: RECIPE IDEAS FOR SLOW COOKER

My family love this one
    Lamb neck fillets( no need to brown)
    couple of tins of chopped toms
    mint sauce (as much as you like, if you use lots it turns the meat green!)
    couple of spoons of honey
    Leave on low all day. Yum Yum
    Carol

Registered Childminder since
    January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

So after all this time I've just realised that the 'curry cooker' I bought dh years ago that got used twice and then never again is, in fact, a purple slow cooker..... Is there such a thing as being able to cook for too long in the slow cooker? Is there an optimum time for doing things. Or do I just bung it in in the morning, stick it on low and open the pot at dinnertime?
    Familiarity breeds contempt - and children Mark Twain

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by venus89 View Post
    So after all this time I've just realised that the 'curry cooker' I bought dh years ago that got used twice and then never again is, in fact, a purple slow cooker..... Is there such a thing as being able to cook for too long in the slow cooker? Is there an optimum time for doing things. Or do I just bung it in in the morning, stick it on low and open the pot at dinnertime?
    Thats all I have done today. Stewing steak, lots of veggies, gravy made with granules, bit of garlic and mixed herbs. Put it on about 10am and ate at 5.30.

I had a huuuuggee slow cooker and at the weekend bought a smaller one, soc an do hubby and myself casseroles and to stop us eating other ready meal type things just cos we are tired

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good I never realised you could cook puddings and things in them too. Dh went through a curry making phase, from scratch (back in the days when we had more time....) We quickly realised that a curry cooked longer usually tastes better so I got him a sharwoods curry cooker to help. It came with a recipe book which said to bung a jar of sharwoods sauce in with some meat/fish, a few onions - not cooking, as such, so it got ignored..... Then today I was looking into rice cookers and realised that a rice cooker seems to be pretty much a slow cooker which seems to be what I have in the kitchen. And as I absolutely hate cooking on Friday night, when it has to be all finished by 5 but we've been out in the afternoon and I have 2 LOs to feed, a slow cooker might just be my saviour. But do you trust yours when you're out of the house? Or would you only use it if you're in?

apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw a gorgeous looking recipe on 'lorraine' today.
    Chicken and chirizo gumbo!! The chef did it in the oven but it can be easily be adapted to go in a slow cooker. I wish i had smelivision lol

http://www.itv.com/lorraine/food/

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Chicken breasts
    2 tins of ratatouille
    1 tin tomatoes
    squeeze of garlic puree

leave for ...... ummmm .....a long time

Yummy !

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by venus89 View Post
    Sounds good I never realised you could cook puddings and things in them too. Dh went through a curry making phase, from scratch (back in the days when we had more time....) We quickly realised that a curry cooked longer usually tastes better so I got him a sharwoods curry cooker to help. It came with a recipe book which said to bung a jar of sharwoods sauce in with some meat/fish, a few onions - not cooking, as such, so it got ignored..... Then today I was looking into rice cookers and realised that a rice cooker seems to be pretty much a slow cooker which seems to be what I have in the kitchen. And as I absolutely hate cooking on Friday night, when it has to be all finished by 5 but we've been out in the afternoon and I have 2 LOs to feed, a slow cooker might just be my saviour. But do you trust yours when you're out of the house? Or would you only use it if you're in?
    I leave on when im out yes

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LOOPYLISA View Post
    I leave on when im out yes
    Excellent Obviously I'll try it when I'm in first....

Dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

On the days i work at the hospital i chuck it all in at 6am, get home from work at 4.30pm (usually staaaaaaaaaaaarving!) and eat BRILLIANT!!!

We like:
    * chicken casserole - diced chicken, carrots, onions, potatoes and a packet mix
    * bolognaise - made the usual way, just left to slowly cook all day - can later be spag bol, pasta bake, lasagne etc, easy for mindees also.

And our real favourite is:
    * veggie sausage winter warmer - veggie sausages, potatoes, carrots, onions, tin of kidney beans in chilli sauce, dollop of musturd, 200ml stock - can add extra veggies towards end, peas, sweetcorn, brocolli etc.

Could use a few more ideas so will be keeping a close eye of this thread. xx
    Last edited by Monkey26; 31-01-2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: missed a word

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i read they take no more power than a light bulb.

i often leave mine on overnight, a couple of weeks ago i put some stewing beef and gravy in mine, i put it in at 3pm and meant to turn it off before i went to bed but i forgot so it was on till the morning! didnt get up till 10am either. the meat was absolutley gorgeous, just pulled apart

did some chicken thighs in it the other day, never done chicken in it before, they were lovely, the meat just fell off and they were only in about 5 hours. i was suprised that they browned too so will try a whole chicken next time

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

http://crockpot.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/89/

breakfast in a slow cooker!

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    i read they take no more power than a light bulb.

i often leave mine on overnight, a couple of weeks ago i put some stewing beef and gravy in mine, i put it in at 3pm and meant to turn it off before i went to bed but i forgot so it was on till the morning! didnt get up till 10am either. the meat was absolutley gorgeous, just pulled apart

did some chicken thighs in it the other day, never done chicken in it before, they were lovely, the meat just fell off and they were only in about 5 hours. i was suprised that they browned too so will try a whole chicken next time
    Whole chicken is lovely

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a joint of lamb in mine at the moment, i just put some garlic and rosemary in with it and let it cook all day,, I never put water in with any of my joints , they cook in their own juices and never dry out but the meat comes out lovley and moist and just falls of the bone,, when i do beef i use the juices to make the gravy YUM!
    the only problem i have with it is it smells so nice all day!

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I got one last night and just put some fried off pork loin chops in with carrots, suede mushrooms, onions, leeks, peppers & new potatoes - I used the essence from the pan that browned the chops in and some boiling water to make the stock to cook it all in plus I added thyme, black pepper, garlic, tomato puree, a few drops of tabasco, & Worcestershire sauce & organic stock powder. Can't wait till later to try it!!!

Has anyone got a recipe for a slimming world low syn Rice pudding?
    Celest

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven Scent View Post
    I got one last night and just put some fried off pork loin chops in with carrots, suede mushrooms, onions, leeks, peppers & new potatoes - I used the essence from the pan that browned the chops in and some boiling water to make the stock to cook it all in plus I added thyme, black pepper, garlic, tomato puree, a few drops of tabasco, & Worcestershire sauce & organic stock powder. Can't wait till later to try it!!!

Has anyone got a recipe for a slimming world low syn Rice pudding?
    I did something similar yesterday - bunged everything in the slow cooker in the morning, came back at lunchtime to a lovely meal - mindees ate the lot!!! Enjoy

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I do a cider ham- just put the joint in and pour cider over the top- tastes beautiful!
    Otherwise I just do stews. Keep meaning to try other things.

oct 96
    Post Thanks / Like

when u cook a joint in it do u cook it on low my slow cooker as an hole in the lid does it make any differents

Post Thanks / Like

I have put a slow cooker on my wedding gift list - having read all these delish recipes is making me really hope I get it!!

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do loads in our slow cooker, I'll have to come on again tomorrow and add some of the recipes.

This is an easy one though

4 or so pork loin steaks
    chopped up onion, pepper, mushrooms
    bottle of bar-b-q sauce

Just bung it all in and leave it for about 4 hours on medium - we have ours with rice or potato.

It's very tasty and easy!

We roast a whole chicken too. We put 3 small screwed up foil balls in the bottom of the sc, wash the chicken and dry it, score the skin and rub on mixed herbs or garlic and then bung it in for 1 hour on high then the rest of the day on low. It is gorgeous. The meat just falls off and is really moist.

I also do spagbol with Dolmio sauce and I use the packet mixes of curry sauce, casseroles, etc. They are all fine in it too.

I'll type up some of my other recipes another day - if I remember!

oct 96
    Post Thanks / Like

that will b great need ideas 2 us my slow cooker xx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast