Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Picnic food ideas please

I'm sure, like me, lots of you are planning on eating out a lot over the Summer, whether its taking along a packed lunch on trips or just a picnic as an activity in itself. What are you all taking along these days? DD not keen on sandwiches so I can't do them too often.

I'm planning a bit of a bake off/cook off tonight to stock up on picnic type of foods that I can just freeze (or store for a few days) and grab as we go. Need some new sweet and savoury ideas please.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine all love veg rostti grated root veg, egg and gram flour. Cook small ones or one big one on greased baking tray in hot oven. I sometimes add grated cheese or melt goats cheese on top after cooking. They also enjoy chick pea salad, I wizz the chickpeas to a rough chop, add to cooked onion, peas, carrot, green beans. I add curry powder to as mine like a bit of spice. I put it in small empty yog pots seal with cling film and take spoons.
    Mini quiches without the pastry also go down well.

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not keen on sandwiches on a picnic so often take a packet of wraps and lots of different fillings - salad, sliced boiled eggs, cooked meat etc. I can then make the wraps up depending on what I fancy at the time.

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Savoury muffins are always good.

savoury muffins - my lovely little lunch box

Though our last few picnics have been warm soup and freshly made rolls!

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I'm not keen on sandwiches on a picnic so often take a packet of wraps and lots of different fillings - salad, sliced boiled eggs, cooked meat etc. I can then make the wraps up depending on what I fancy at the time.
    I like this idea Mouse. I hate making sandwiches and it would be good fun for the LO's too

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Savoury muffins are always good.

savoury muffins - my lovely little lunch box

Though our last few picnics have been warm soup and freshly made rolls!
    Mmm I need these now 😂😂
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by watford wizz View Post
    Mine all love veg rostti grated root veg, egg and gram flour. Cook small ones or one big one on greased baking tray in hot oven. I sometimes add grated cheese or melt goats cheese on top after cooking. They also enjoy chick pea salad, I wizz the chickpeas to a rough chop, add to cooked onion, peas, carrot, green beans. I add curry powder to as mine like a bit of spice. I put it in small empty yog pots seal with cling film and take spoons.
    Mini quiches without the pastry also go down well.
    Mmmmm chickpeas sound good.

We take cold pizza, quiche, sausages, chicken drumsticks, hard boiled eggs, pasta salad, bean salad, meatballs or veggie balls! (aka falafels) or current favourite...a block of puff pastry rolled out and topped with a smear of tom puree and then sliced peppers/tomatoes/goats cheese/olives/anchovies (on my bit!) And baked till cooked. Generally some or all of the above toppings or whatever else is fancied.

11. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone. We made the savoury muffins which went down well, and we have a stash in the freezer to grab and go. Lovely website Floradora - I'm going to do another couple of things from it today. Watford Wizz I also made a chick pea dish similar to yours with whatever I had in - thank you for the inspiration. It was a really nice change. Loocyloo, thanks for reminding me about puff pastry! I remember we talked about yummy, simple things we all make with it round about Christmas time last year. Great for the kids to make too - especially if we get them to do the plait style - keeps them occupied for longer!