Default SIMPLE SPARKLY CLAY ORNEMENTS

Really simple to make

Making the clay

Two cups of corn flour
    One cup of bicarbonate of soda
    Three quarters of a cup of warm water
    Glitter
    Ribbon ...optional

Mix the dry ingredients in a pan then stir through the warm water. Mix over a medium heat, stirring as it starts to bubble and come away from the sides of the pan. When it has started to dry and resemble a soft play dough consistency, take it off the heat and leave it to cool for a few minutes. Turn it out onto the counter and knead it for a couple of minutes to make it super soft and pliable. It should look and feel like bright white play dough!

Let the children knead it more adding the glitter .... You can do this when it's still warm
    Then roll out
    Using christmas cutters cut out some shapes
    Use a straw to make a hole in the top of the ornament if you want to add ribbon and hang them up

You can leave them to dry in room temperature for a day or pop them in the oven for about an hour on 100 degrees C or 200 f

No need to paint them ... We added lots of glitter so they were really sparkly .... Use what colour you wish but the silver glitter does look nice

Star shapes look really nice and glisten in the sun

Easy peasy

Angel xxx

Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They turn out well then Angel?

Just have an adversion to using my bicarb if they didnt work
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    They turn out well then Angel?

Just have an adversion to using my bicarb if they didnt work
    Yes they are really easy ...must be if I can do them ha ha

Tried to take pictures but they are dark,we are doing more so I will put some pics up then

Have a go t they are easy

Angel xxx

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Be tomorrows after school activity
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

6. Likes angeldelight liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Angel I have just tried this an it was a complete disaster, it has gone in the bin! and I used all my Bicarb up Is meant to be made with flour rather than cornflour?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Sorry Angel I have just tried this an it was a complete disaster, it has gone in the bin! and I used all my Bicarb up Is meant to be made with flour rather than cornflour?
    Well mine turned out lovely

Was it the actual mix that was not right ?

I hate it when you have to use cups rather spoons for measurements ...I can never seem to get it right either

But for these I used large cups ... Small mugs I suppose they are

I will try and get some pics up

Xxx

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Be careful where you buy your bi-carb from or baking powder, or cream of tartar (I use it for playdough) - Asda are not selling the big 130g tubs costing £1.30 but have changed to silly little individual sachets (30g - 6 sachets of 5g - a teaspoon full) but the price is £1.09 - meaning it has gone up nearly 4 times the price, I have phoned and e-mailed Asda and Dr Oeker but they said people in their market research liked the individual sachets. I found normal tubs in Sainsbury's and have stock piled it - I did threaten them with letter to watchdog but haven't had time yet! Asda phoned back and said it was the price of the packaging, I said I don't give a about the packaging I only want the product inside!

10. Likes *daisychain* liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Be careful where you buy your bi-carb from or baking powder, or cream of tartar (I use it for playdough) - Asda are not selling the big 130g tubs costing £1.30 but have changed to silly little individual sachets (30g - 6 sachets of 5g - a teaspoon full) but the price is £1.09 - meaning it has gone up nearly 4 times the price, I have phoned and e-mailed Asda and Dr Oeker but they said people in their market research liked the individual sachets. I found normal tubs in Sainsbury's and have stock piled it - I did threaten them with letter to watchdog but haven't had time yet! Asda phoned back and said it was the price of the packaging, I said I don't give a about the packaging I only want the product inside!
    i know! i nearly fell over in horror when i saw those silly little packets! and there were 4 of us all standing there looking at them in asda, saying 'how silly'.

tesco & morrisons both sell bicarb in tubs! i have a few too now !!!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Yes but we all know that people couldnt possibly measure their own bicarb etc out

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    We tried this today too! It was a disaster, all dry, crumbly, wouldn't roll and when we did get flat it broke as soon as they put the cutters on it. I left them just to play, making snowballs! Think maybe I over cooked it, ended up adding much more water than suggested and still only just stuck together :-(

14. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine was a crumbly mess !! Not sure where I went wrong , then I added water and it became gloop !

16. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a method for this that uses double the amount of bicarb to the amount of cornflour....I don't know if this will make a difference to those that tried this?

Post Thanks / Like

What a shame it didn't turn out well for some of you.

I was going to try this but not so sure now.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!