@homechildcare agency briefing
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default @homechildcare agency briefing

I'm not going into depth, because I'm not sure who, if anyone is actually interested in this. Although if you have any questions feel free to ask. What I will say is they didn't convince me to join the agency as I don't see any benefit for myself. The benefits they can provide, support and training I can access cheaper and at no cost to parents!!

2. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be very interested in any feedback you can give. Although I haven't got any hint of an agency near me, it's always good to know what's going on.

Are they trying to attract existing childminders, or do you think it's more aimed at recruiting new ones?

4. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am also interested in any feedback, like Mouse, currently there isn't any sign of any agency near me. I think the training and support seems to be a marketing factor and perhaps people who are considering becoming a childminder will think that only agencies can provide that. It would also be interesting to know if local authorities discuss agencies during their briefing sessions for potential childminders.

Post Thanks / Like

The way they are promoting is based on lack of support from LAs (guidance, training and updates) all things that they will be providing. For established CMs they are also promoting extra opportunities of working with the agency as mentors, or progression via employment in the agency. Tbh I'm happy to source my training etc elsewhere (which is cheaper). I also have no interest in working for the agency. For new CMs they may easily see the benefits of all the additional support etc (I know personally of a lady who was impressed by what they had to say) but sometimes it's because they are not aware of other sources where they can get the same support, training etc. The things I didn't like at all were the fact that their EYFS software is mandatory for all members at £50 per year, and parents also have to pay £5 per child per month (capped at 2 children).

Post Thanks / Like

Smiley there was a member of my LA there offering her full support, although I also felt that they will still signpost independents as they need the childcare places especially with the 30 hours looming. Our LA is trying to get the early implementation.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Did they say if they'd had much interest from childminders or parents?

I can fully see why people looking to set up would consider an agency, but I wonder how many parents would actually go through one for their childcare, especially if they have to pay.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Natlou. Is there anything you came away wishing you'd asked or commented on , or felt they didnt answer. Happy to send in questions before Tuesday.

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Natlou, yes I agree with you about sometimes it's because they're not informed of other sources and that's worrying. I certainly don't like the sound of the compulsory software and think that is one step to take away childminders self-employment status. I would think each agency will do things differently and charge differently and I certainly will not be joining one.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't honestly think there's anything to entice a parent to use them to find a CM, they don't seem to be offering any other than website advertising. They did mention a "matching night" "****" - eek! I can't imagine anything worse!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

They've got 15 CMs going through registration at present.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

So Natlou if Im an agency minder with them am I allowed to also find my own mindees?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    I don't honestly think there's anything to entice a parent to use them to find a CM, they don't seem to be offering any other than website advertising. They did mention a "matching night" "****" - eek! I can't imagine anything worse!!!!
    Childminder speed dating!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes mamatothree they don't find them for you.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    Yes mamatothree they don't find them for you.
    so how can they charge them? what for?

17. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The benefit of having a well trained CM who has annual inspections (maintaining quality). Btw it's the CM who passes on this charge, parents pay the CM who then pays the agency (remember £5 per child per month!)

Post Thanks / Like

The CM also pays £25 per month. So I have 13 on my books currently so the agency would bill me £90 per month!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Grief!!

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

That's ridiculous (and also genius) I thought at the very least Agencies would find and match parents with suitable childminders! What's the point if they don't even do that? All they're doing is smiling and nodding and taking the credit for the Childminders hard work. All whilst creaming money off the top from both sides of the financial parties. Shocking. O_O

Post Thanks / Like

I know that's what I thought, they were so matter of fact about it too! Don't you fancy the matching nights either then greenfarie lol :-D

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

So what does that £25 a month get you? Just the support? Does it include first aid, child protection training, pli insurance, paperwork (contracts the lot) learning journey ..... So a one stop shop no additional costs,no annual registration fee etc?

What is the £5 per month per child for? What do the childminder/parents get for that £60 a year?

And what if the extra £50 (eyfs package) for?

So far I'm adding this up to £300 (£25 per month) plus £50 (eyfs package) and another £60 per child all each year? That's a lot of money. Minimum of £410 per year if you have one child on your book and increase by £60 fo each additional child.
    Last edited by blue bear; 29-01-2016 at 08:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast