@homechildcare agency briefing
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    982
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wow the cost is going up and up!! You'd think it might actually put childminders off joining but I suppose new minders won't know any different. Wonder how much agency staff will be paid

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Blue bear:- you get support, updates, 2 visits per year (3 for new minders), annual inspections, training courses which include first aid, safeguarding, food hygiene and others. You don't get PLI, paperwork etc that would be at a further cost. Your workings out are correct except I forgot to say the first month is £55 for your registration fee. The thought of going through the registration process again - no thankyou!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The £5 to parents is just for parents reassurance that they are getting a minder who is continually developing and annually inspected to maintain quality. My parents know that I access training etc and aren't concerned about how often I am inspected, they certainly wouldn't be happy to pay this fee.

    The mandatory software is orange moon (although they didn't say that on the night) I'm not sure if it's live yet - will have to check it out. I think it's similar to the one that can't be named BD.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sylvia I suppose it depends how much you currently pay out - advertising (childcare.co.uk), training courses, software (tapestry, BD), Ofsted reg. Some CMs may have high costs in these areas already so paying a monthly fee spreads it out for them.

    If our Ofsted fee rises which sounds inevitable, the agencies could become more appealing to some CMs.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,857
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    Sylvia I suppose it depends how much you currently pay out - advertising (childcare.co.uk), training courses, software (tapestry, BD), Ofsted reg. Some CMs may have high costs in these areas already so paying a monthly fee spreads it out for them.

    If our Ofsted fee rises which sounds inevitable, the agencies could become more appealing to some CMs.
    I'd love to know how they decided on their charges, makes me wonder if they know what the ofsted fee increase might be so they can set their prices competitively.
    Do you know if the agency influences the hourly rate the childminder charges? It makes me wonder if in order to remain competitive against independent childminders whether agency childminders will (at least in the initial stages) have to end up absorbing the cost of the £5 per month per child In order to get going.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think you're right about CMs absorbing the parental fee. My parents wouldn't be happy to pay it especially as there is no real benefit to them. Therefore I think CMs may increase their fee to cover the charge at no benefit for themselves.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Somewhere West of Watford!!!
    Posts
    9,085
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    Blue bear:- you get support, updates, 2 visits per year (3 for new minders), annual inspections, training courses which include first aid, safeguarding, food hygiene and others. You don't get PLI, paperwork etc that would be at a further cost. Your workings out are correct except I forgot to say the first month is £55 for your registration fee. The thought of going through the registration process again - no thankyou!
    But you would have to get your PLI from them because without Ofsted Registration current PLI from Pacey, Pre school Learning Alliance, MM wouldn't cover you.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes they do their own PLI but that's an additional cost.

  9. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
  10. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,099
    Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ive given further feedback from last nights meeting on the 'questions for @homechildcare briefing' thread , it covers the insurance point above.

  11. #30
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    178
    Registered Childminder since
    2009
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Play Assistant
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My DW got an email a few nights back for something detailing a revolution in Childcare. Along the lines of "****" ?

    There is a Facebook page where you enter an email, the claims are you will be given exclusive stuff and test their exicting new website and childminder finding software before it goes live. The word FREE is pushed aswell, really.... is this really free or just a way of getting agency stuff out there?

    Suggested my DW left it alone until I find out exactly what it is.

  12. #31
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayse74 View Post
    My DW got an email a few nights back for something detailing a revolution in Childcare. Along the lines of "****" ?

    There is a Facebook page where you enter an email, the claims are you will be given exclusive stuff and test their exicting new website and childminder finding software before it goes live. The word FREE is pushed aswell, really.... is this really free or just a way of getting agency stuff out there?

    Suggested my DW left it alone until I find out exactly what it is.
    Oh dear!...someone is trying to 'resurrect' an old idea which was, at the time, quite successful to start with.
    It was called 'Meet The Minder'....I am sure many Cms will remember that?

    whoever that someone is needs to look at history....repeating it may not necessarily win their battle.
    MTM was launched in several areas....years later it fizzled out though...maybe they need to learn a lesson from that.

    I remember the launch of MTM in my area, we are talking at least 10 years ago, more I am sure....it was a big event and it was reported in the press .

    I organised it with other cms and with the help of our local CMs association and the LA attended as well....after its launch I also attended several MTM with other cms.

    Did MTM work?....I would say it did due to its own special features until I recall it being used to promote Network Cms against the rest...parents being pushed towards those who belonged to a Network
    This will probably be a very similar experiment.

    The only difference between then and now is that then it was all open and public and not hidden in another secret website or FB page.

    The main problem with the agencies saga since it began in 2012/3 is that the perceived 'secrecy' surrounding them is rather a secret to those who are in charge of this coming 'revolution'
    would it make a good 007 plot?

    or should we prepare for battle and take up arms to fight this revolution and make us all 'Miserables'?

    Sooner or later all the players in this game will have to declare their hand...from what I read some are already doing so as the DfE renews its push towards agencies some are coming out to flag up their model.

    Many Cms...thousands perhaps.... are unhappy at how the agencies are evolving and the little tit bits they are fed via the press...we need to start asking why it has been made to look like the worst secret in EY.

    The very idea of Cms agencies has to be fought even if there is not a sign of one in cms' own patch....it is the principle that is wrong!
    Last edited by Simona; 24-02-2016 at 09:25 AM.

  13. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,778
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Oh dear!...someone is trying to 'resurrect' an old idea which was, at the time, quite successful to start with.
    It was called 'Meet The Minder'....I am sure many Cms will remember that?

    whoever that someone is needs to look at history....repeating it may not necessarily win their battle.
    MTM was launched in several areas....years later it fizzled out though...maybe they need to learn a lesson from that.

    I remember the launch of MTM in my area, we are talking at least 10 years ago, more I am sure....it was a big event and it was reported in the press .

    I organised it with other cms and with the help of our local CMs association and the LA attended as well....after its launch I also attended several MTM with other cms.

    Did MTM work?....I would say it did due to its own special features until I recall it being used to promote Network Cms against the rest...parents being pushed towards those who belonged to a Network
    This will probably be a very similar experiment.

    The only difference between then and now is that then it was all open and public and not hidden in another secret website or FB page.

    The main problem with the agencies saga since it began in 2012/3 is that the perceived 'secrecy' surrounding them is rather a secret to those who are in charge of this coming 'revolution'
    would it make a good 007 plot?

    or should we prepare for battle and take up arms to fight this revolution and make us all 'Miserables'?

    Sooner or later all the players in this game will have to declare their hand...from what I read some are already doing so as the DfE renews its push towards agencies some are coming out to flag up their model.

    Many Cms...thousands perhaps.... are unhappy at how the agencies are evolving and the little tit bits they are fed via the press...we need to start asking why it has been made to look like the worst secret in EY.

    The very idea of Cms agencies has to be fought even if there is not a sign of one in cms' own patch....it is the principle that is wrong!
    I would not say **** is 'secret'! Their website is easy to find: Find a Childminder for FREE with ****
    (in case it is starred out it is **** dot co dot uk)
    They are using Facebook to promote its launch because it is free and so widely used.
    From all I have read (their vision is on their website, top right button) it is simply a free directory of childminders that parents can use to contact CMers without paying a fee. I guess they are using advertising to raise the cash.
    I am following it and we'll see what it come to.

  14. Likes singingcactus liked this post
  15. #33
    Simona Guest

    Default

    I see where you are coming from but the MTM I mentioned is not the same because it was a face-to-face meeting not online.
    The reference to secrecy was about agencies not the new website.

    From what I understand parents have so many options on how to find childcare...pacey used to have their own too...am I right?
    so this is a new addition

    It is a website so they advertise it in other ways too....FB is not the only option as thousands do not use FB.

    They also use Twitter for free...they seem to follow quite a few cms too!

    Being free it will be welcome to parents and cms alike and cut costs for both!

  16. #34
    Simona Guest

    Default

    For those who do not receive newsletters from 4 Children they have announced another round of agency briefing.

    Check it out if you are interested....they are being help in 3 different parts of the country!

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
@homechildcare agency briefing @homechildcare agency briefing @homechildcare agency briefing

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk