Soon to be registered CM with an agency!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  31
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51
  1. #21
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    This was very much a point of discussion when we were fighting against Truss and the regime's determination to impose agencies upon the world of CMing.

    Yes, we may well see CMs turning against CMs. I think a lot of it will depend on whether we still see agencies as a threat to independent CMing or just something we no longer need to worry about.

    At the heart of the matter is this: did we have a genuine case against agencies when they were Truss's big issue, or were we all just a bunch of silly CMs getting our nickers in a twist over nothing circa 2012-13?

    I still say now what I said then. Agencies have the potential to create local monopolies with the clout to damage independent CMs through overpowering resources such as advertising, networks, access to training, resources, etc. etc. They are playing the same game as us, but playing it by very different rules: including the way they inspect their CMs. We had issues as to whether or not Ofsted were to be the sole arbiters of quality with regard to childcare. Are the agencies ever likely to say their own CMs "require improvement"? Really?

    As I said years ago, I am going to find it difficult to give advice to an agency CM, when that is the agency's job. The big thing was always that CM agencies would "remove the burden of paperwork". So I'm gonna be pretty pee-d off the first time an agency CM wants my advice on policies, risk assessments, record-keeping, "do I have to complete a medication form for nappy cream?" etc. Woe betide the first one begging for copies of my risk assessments, etc.
    Totally see what you are saying and agree with a lot of it.
    I will say this again...the main worry for many cms about agencies was 'deregulation' and still is...I literally have the T shirt I wore in our campaign....it says ' Say No to the deregulation of cms'...somewhere Pacey have it on their forum!

    My personal feeling is that agency cms will not come to ask about Risk assessment or policies....that will be well looked after and prescribed by the Agencies which are no more than a glorified network...remember those networks where special cms had everything done for them, all guidance digested and then just emailed to them? Oh and they all ended up with fab grades!


    Networks created a 2 tier of cms....they created an exclusive club where only those who belonged were able to do funding?
    I remember telling Truss that face to face at Portcullis House...she acted but unfortunately was carrying the agency idea already.

    Agencies will do the same if we lock those cms out...agency cms may just want to connect with the rest and not be in a bubble
    I do not ask for support in this forum but like to read what others cms do....that is how I feel it will be with
    Agency CMs...I may be wrong

    I recall very clearly Pacey offering support to help agencies to develop to get them to offer the best for children looked after by their cms....why the resentment now and the wish to split cms in 2 again?


    Cms against Cms will be a disaster and can only happen if Cms let it happen and instigate it..I won't be part of that...it would be self destruction for cms.

    Agencies will not be a threat if we keep alert and continue to rise to Sir Michael's expectations
    Last edited by Simona; 12-01-2016 at 11:31 PM.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Somewhere West of Watford!!!
    Posts
    9,085
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't see Agencies taking over our work the only issue is the perception of parents and our ability to draw in custom if there is an Agency near buy who are more visible on the High Street as it were. However I will worry about that if and when it happens in my area. I am in one of the largest Counties in the Country and we don't have a single Agency yet!

    Also EmmaCP newly Registered Independent childminders can offer the 3-4 Funded Places before their first Graded Inspection and have been able to for a number of years now.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Somewhere West of Watford!!!
    Posts
    9,085
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmmaCP View Post
    Phewph! Thank you for being welcoming, it's a relief. I feel so very anxious at the moment. So it's nice to think there are people I can talk to who have been through this already.

    As for doing the right thing... Honestly I still don't know. I didn't know about agencies until I went for my training at @homechildcare. They were just going through the process of becoming an agency and so after the childminder training it was pitched to us. All of the soon to be childminders on the course I was on weren't impressed but I started to do some research. In the end this is what I thought:

    I like the fact that I could pick up the phone or email and have someone help me with anything.

    Getting registered is a lot quicker with an agency.

    I can be graded straight away so don't have to wait so long to take funded children on.

    I am given my own personal mentor who will help me with anything and is guaranteed to visit 3 times in be first year.

    I have the use of EYFS software which will help with the documentation of children's learning and also gives parents some reassurance that this is monitored.

    I am inspected yearly.

    I understand that you maybe thinking why would you want so much interference? However I have spoken at length with the agency about this and they assure me that they do not interfere with my paperwork, I am free to do my own planning, I can have as little involvement or as much from them as I want. In short I do not work for them but they are a support network for me and a direct access to CPD and also someone keeping an eye on the quality of childcare I am providing. Why would I not want that? Surely parents will love that too? I am passionate about childcare, I want to offer the very best and if there is someone there to help me get to that 'outstanding' grade and stay there year to year then I'm all for it.

    I will be inspected by the agency but the agency itself is inspected by Ofsted so I have been told its exactly the same. In fact so far the trainers on the course that I have seen are Ofsted inspectors. They are under so much scrutiny that they will be doing nothing short of perfect I am sure. I suppose that's why I am so nervous! That and I am putting a lot of pressure on myself!

    Yes the cost is a little more than just being registered with Ofsted in that you have to pay for each child that you have on your books (£5 per child) however I am being transparent about this and explaining to the parents about this extra cost. I know some nurseries that have started to use this software also pass the cost onto the parents so this is not a new concept at all and even with this cost I will be competitively priced.

    I hope this answers some of your questions and thank you again for being welcoming.

    If you pay £5 for every child on your books then if you have 6 under 5s you will be paying the same as the £35 pa current fee to Ofsted. Any more children and it will cost you more. For example if you had 10 part timers making up the week. Good though for cm who may not be able to fill all their vacancies.

  4. #24
    Simona Guest

    Default

    I have a feeling that cms may have not understood that an agency does not have to be on your doorstep to operate in your area!

    I think it is easy to work out why.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,494
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    I am struggling to believe that I am being asked to explain why an agency childminder is not welcome on a Facebook group called INDEPENDENT Childminders!

  6. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
  7. #26
    Simona Guest

    Default

    I think that I have explained why I find it difficult to isolate agency cms from anything that would be of benefit to them....I am keen to avoid the 2 tier system that was in place before.

    It is my personal feeling And I find it difficult to understand...the same way I found difficult to accept why non network cm were isolated from the network ones in the past.

    I also have said both my association...PLA and others...such as NEYTCO have welcomed agency cms so they get equal support.

    It is the forum decision and while I respect it I do not feel it is helpful...no offence to anyone.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,986
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I think that I have explained why I find it difficult to isolate agency cms from anything that would be of benefit to them....I am keen to avoid the 2 tier system that was in place before.

    It is my personal feeling And I find it difficult to understand...the same way I found difficult to accept why non network cm were isolated from the network ones in the past.

    I also have said both my association...PLA and others...such as NEYTCO have welcomed agency cms so they get equal support.

    It is the forum decision and while I respect it I do not feel it is helpful...no offence to anyone.
    I fully respect your right to "agree to disagree" on this point.

    As I said earlier, my understanding is that the Independent CMs' FB page does exactly what it says on the tin: it is a FB page for independent CMs. I don't go on it cos I have issues with FB. Agency CMs aren't to go on it because they're not independent, so it's not for them.

    This sort of thing does happen in other areas of CMing and childcare in general. The following is not an exact comparison (comparisons tend not to be exact anyway) but there are points of convergence by way of an example. My occasional CM group holds occasional trips to women-only sessions at a local swimming baths; they also book occasional women-CM-only spa days or pamper evenings. My view is that they are entitled to do that and it's not my place to demand admission or protest that I've been excluded, or think that the women members have turned against me.

    I imagine the independent CMs' FB doo-dah meets the needs of independent CMs in those areas which an agency should, by definition, already be meeting the needs of agency CMs (hence agency CMs don't need the independent CM's FB doohicky.) I guess those areas are, to a greater or lesser degree) something like:-

    1. Help with matching childminders and parents together

    2. Removing some of the burdens of registration for childminders

    3. A support network and a more secure way of working

    4. Help with handling day to day issues and emergencies

    My source for the above list is DofE's own description of an agency's basic function, taken from: Childminding Agencies - #OfstedBigConversation (dated Valentine's Day - ahh, how sweet , 2013.)

    As synchronicity would have it, and I have to extend my sincere admiration of your foresight in this matter Simona, you were already predicting on that very same webpage that the existence of agencies would create "a two-tier system". I absolutely agree with this. It is the existence of agencies, not the reaction of independent CMs, which has created the two tiers and whatever 'split' may inevitably follow.

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Somewhere West of Watford!!!
    Posts
    9,085
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I have a feeling that cms may have not understood that an agency does not have to be on your doorstep to operate in your area!

    I think it is easy to work out why.
    I am fully aware of that though I have to say I don't see that as a helpful model for Parents of Childminders but hey ho!

  10. #29
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Mmmmm....we cannot stop agencies Bunyip but what we can do is prevent cms from joining them 'if' they find support elsewhere and can be made to reflect before they abandon ship...or once aboard ....they find they want to get off?
    That would mean agencies will flop because that support is not needed.

    What if an agency cm finds her support poor?

    I totally understand the loyalty here but... Your example is a bit different but I see your point
    if PLA and many other organisations can support both ...I see no reason at this very moment to exclude them ?..let's try it first.

    I am of the opinion that agencies themselves...or those who run them...should be excluded as their joining any support group would cause me to wonder why they need it....but that is obvious when they are looking for cms to mentor their members....unfortunately agencies are being represented already from what I can see

    I am proud of my little input in breaking the 'Cms Network' monopoly and 2 tier system...do we really want to look forward to cms being against Cms?

    I can't agree to that......it will break us when we are most needed.
    If this happens both DfE and Ofsted are guilty of causing the very inequality that was there in the first place and cms fought hard to remove

    I will look into this and ask questions but unfortunately I cannot but feel very uncomfortable...and I hope my feelings are respected and not laughed at.

    One thing I have not understood as I am not on FB...why are these agency Cms excluded theere but able to join here?

  11. #30
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I am fully aware of that though I have to say I don't see that as a helpful model for Parents of Childminders but hey ho!
    Good and keep that in mind but it can easily happen and I can see how!

  12. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,986
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Mmmmm....we cannot stop agencies Bunyip but what we can do is prevent cms from joining them 'if' they find support elsewhere and can be made to reflect before they abandon ship...or once aboard ....they find they want to get off?
    That would mean agencies will flop because that support is not needed.

    What if an agency cm finds her support poor?

    I totally understand the loyalty here but... Your example is a bit different but I see your point
    if PLA and many other organisations can support both ...I see no reason at this very moment to exclude them ?..let's try it first.

    I am of the opinion that agencies themselves...or those who run them...should be excluded as their joining any support group would cause me to wonder why they need it....but that is obvious when they are looking for cms to mentor their members....unfortunately agencies are being represented already from what I can see

    I am proud of my little input in breaking the 'Cms Network' monopoly and 2 tier system...do we really want to look forward to cms being against Cms?

    I can't agree to that......it will break us when we are most needed.
    If this happens both DfE and Ofsted are guilty of causing the very inequality that was there in the first place and cms fought hard to remove

    I will look into this and ask questions but unfortunately I cannot but feel very uncomfortable...and I hope my feelings are respected and not laughed at.

    One thing I have not understood as I am not on FB...why are these agency Cms excluded theere but able to join here?
    I take your point, and I'm not laughing at you. In fact, I'm not laughing one little bit when it comes to agencies.

    I think we were collectively taken in by one of the regular con-tricks of the so-called "democratic process" over the introduction of agencies. We all patted ourselves on the back that, whilst agencies became a reality we were not all forced to join one. This is one of government's regular cons (and particularly well-suited to a Con-Dem coalition that consistently confused "mandate" with "absolute power").

    They hinted and consequently had us believing we might be all forced into an agency. So that when we fought against being forced into agencies, they got through what they essentially wanted (ie. the creation of agencies) and "compromised" by not forcing us all to join one. We thought we'd won, but really the ConDemNation had won: it got what it wanted all along, whilst simultaneously leaving us feeling relieved that it wasn't worse than it might have been. It's one of the oldest and easiest tricks in the ruling class's book of dirty tricks.

    But it doesn't mean the idea of forcing us all into agencies has gone away.

    Now the regime plays the patient waiting game. Agencies get going, inspect and judge their own CM's as good (why shouldn't they?) and Ofsted starts to save money on inspections. If government can 'prove' the agency system is working and saving public money, then how long before they force us all into it? Independent CMs are a costly burden when it comes to inspecting us.

    Has nobody worked out that the proposed increase in our Ofsted fees is just the beginning?

    So, when we're being all nice and friendly and welcoming, and support agency CMS (or, to put it another way, we do the agencies' work for them) we're running the serious risk of making the agency scheme work and thereby contributing towards our own downfall.

    Any turkeys out there wanting to vote for Christmas?

  13. Likes smartbear liked this post
  14. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bunyip you've raised the exact point that a raised with a fellow CM today about agencies saving Ofsted money and if they become successful they are bound to try every trick in the book to get rid of us independents and get us to join the agencies. As Simona said we need new CMs to see that they can get support without being in an agency. I was also discussing today that I am always willing to help new CMs. I've introduced them to other CMs, passed enquiries their way, offered support with paperwork and passed on info. I do this because I am happy to and I'm sure they'll return the favour down the line (which has already happened) I have no interest in getting paid by an agency to do something I am happy to do for free! Last week I set up my own FB group for all CMs in my area to share info, help with emergency care, pass on enquiries etc. It's already working really well which goes to prove we can do this without an agency sticking their noses into our businesses. I hope the OP hasn't been put off, as I know we've diverted. But as above I'm more than willing to give the same support and usual forum banter as I do with independent CMs :-)

  15. Likes loocyloo liked this post
  16. #33
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I take your point, and I'm not laughing at you. In fact, I'm not laughing one little bit when it comes to agencies.

    I think we were collectively taken in by one of the regular con-tricks of the so-called "democratic process" over the introduction of agencies. We all patted ourselves on the back that, whilst agencies became a reality we were not all forced to join one. This is one of government's regular cons (and particularly well-suited to a Con-Dem coalition that consistently confused "mandate" with "absolute power").

    They hinted and consequently had us believing we might be all forced into an agency. So that when we fought against being forced into agencies, they got through what they essentially wanted (ie. the creation of agencies) and "compromised" by not forcing us all to join one. We thought we'd won, but really the ConDemNation had won: it got what it wanted all along, whilst simultaneously leaving us feeling relieved that it wasn't worse than it might have been. It's one of the oldest and easiest tricks in the ruling class's book of dirty tricks.

    But it doesn't mean the idea of forcing us all into agencies has gone away.

    Now the regime plays the patient waiting game. Agencies get going, inspect and judge their own CM's as good (why shouldn't they?) and Ofsted starts to save money on inspections. If government can 'prove' the agency system is working and saving public money, then how long before they force us all into it? Independent CMs are a costly burden when it comes to inspecting us.

    Has nobody worked out that the proposed increase in our Ofsted fees is just the beginning?

    So, when we're being all nice and friendly and welcoming, and support agency CMS (or, to put it another way, we do the agencies' work for them) we're running the serious risk of making the agency scheme work and thereby contributing towards our own downfall.

    Any turkeys out there wanting to vote for Christmas?
    Yes we need to be alert that agencies will become compulsory because they save so much money to Ofsted...the main pusher and endorser of them and with a drastically reduced budget now....so cms can be their saviours and be dispensable...who is next?

    You are well informed Bunyip and I share many of your points especially the point on rising Ofsted fees....they do not fool us...cms are not stupid! We have offered to cover the whole of the registration/inspection fee...so why not take that hint?
    Who is arguing against that?....the usual suspects I fear

    Supporting agency cms is not doing the agency work...on the contrary is highlighting the agencies' shortcomings as many know nothing about childminding...especially Agency 12 and the likes of them such as schools who will use cms to do their work and cover the 30 hours leaving cms to do just the childcare while they take the glory for education!

    Natlou....I think you have got the point and glad to hear you would offer equal support to agency cms....lets keep our minds open to this

  17. Likes FloraDora liked this post
  18. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,986
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    Bunyip you've raised the exact point that a raised with a fellow CM today about agencies saving Ofsted money and if they become successful they are bound to try every trick in the book to get rid of us independents and get us to join the agencies. As Simona said we need new CMs to see that they can get support without being in an agency. I was also discussing today that I am always willing to help new CMs. I've introduced them to other CMs, passed enquiries their way, offered support with paperwork and passed on info. I do this because I am happy to and I'm sure they'll return the favour down the line (which has already happened) I have no interest in getting paid by an agency to do something I am happy to do for free! Last week I set up my own FB group for all CMs in my area to share info, help with emergency care, pass on enquiries etc. It's already working really well which goes to prove we can do this without an agency sticking their noses into our businesses. I hope the OP hasn't been put off, as I know we've diverted. But as above I'm more than willing to give the same support and usual forum banter as I do with independent CMs :-)
    It's undeniably a cohesive argument you have there, Natlou. I feel quite bad trying to contradict it. I completely understand the argument that "we're all CMs, so let's stick together and help one another, whether independent or agency CMs."

    My concern is that government, Ofsted, etc. will not be interested in the detail of who helped agency CMs to be successful. They won't say, "oh, our agency idea was pants and produced totally cr4p agencies who were only interested in creaming off some profit, but didn't those lovely people on the CM Forum just do a sterling job in baling us out." They'll just decide their agency policy was successful and press to make us all join one because it's far cheaper and more efficient for them when it comes to inspection, etc.

    One problem is that agencies are already looking rather better than LA's. Much as it pains me to say it, a mere glance at the @homechildminding website suggests their enquirer's briefing covers more in an evening than my LA 'support' ever covered in three bl00dy years!

    I'm finding this debate helpful. It's something I can see both sides of and keep turning over and over in my little head.

  19. Likes FloraDora liked this post
  20. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I completely get your point Bunyip. Unfortunately @homechildcare has a way of getting under people's skins, they are very clever. Today I heard my new CM acquaintance refer to orange moon (their agency name) in the same sentence as BD that well known provider of obs, policies, contract etc online so the agency has already got a finger in that pie! This is going to be very interesting, roll on the 28th!!

  21. Likes FloraDora, rickysmiths, bunyip liked this post
  22. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,830
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I wonder, when there are enough agencies childminders dotted around the country that they form their own FB groups and online support sites, will they welcome non-agency childminders with open arms?

  23. Likes BallyH, bunyip, Kiddleywinks, smartbear liked this post
  24. #37
    Simona Guest

    Default

    I cannot express in words what I feel after reading the comments here....good grief!...Cms have actually pushed the self destruction button and now forming open and clear antagonism...so the 2 tier system is alive and well

    and there is me thinking that the reason CMs were against agencies is because we truly have a concerns about the care the children will receive?...the fact one part of the sector is now deregulated as per govt's wish?...the fact many LAs are concerned about the support agencies will give their CMs and who will provide them with training?
    Pacey itself offered to support agencies to get it right for the children'...all forgotten ?

    I do not think cms in this forum are aware who is behind training some agencies?
    not long before you get to find out.


    All of a sudden it is all about all the 'nice Cms' in the forum helping agencies to be a success?...NO that is not what this is all about....this is about preventing cms joining an agency because there is NO reason to do that and every reason to get out of them if you have joined them


    Who allowed Agency 12 here in an open forum when others agencies are quietly getting on with their training and development?
    When I challenged Agency 12 because of her appalling knowledge of cms and safeguarding ....I was told I was training her for free...that was not so.
    Now that agency 12 is safely registered she can get plenty of cms to join and happily deliver the 30 hours together and the rest of the govt' agenda on childcare!!...she will get plenty of support from the 'agency taskforce' itself and those trainers willing to train agencies.


    I have attended a lot of meetings to discuss agencies....very few Cms were ever interested because it was 'out of sight...not close to them ...or I will never join' kind of attitude...
    Having labelled ourselves Independent...Can we really declare ourselves Independent CMs still? we are far from being independent

    Natlou...I was really looking forward to some feedback from your meeting as I hope my little suggestions in our emails were of help?
    why do you think @homechildcare are very clever?...I think quite the opposite but they are really seeing into the future and taking the opportunity.

    Mouse...you are probably correct Agencies will have their owh forum and FB page and independent cms will not be allowedin...that is not the reason to behave like they do....tit for tat?
    They need to obviously keep 'their model' safe and secret I would say....Look at Leap Ahead...not that difficult to see how they operate...they are the trail blazers but not all details are public.

    Bunyip...I think you have listened very much to all discussions and are very updated...I do think though you are defensive ...in a nice way I say this ...and my questions went unanswered....why are agency cms welcome in the forum and not their FB page?
    there are several ICM FB pages...it is like a competition...glad to be out of that

    You accept that cms will be split in to 2 tiers and accept cms will be against cms?....for some of us that will never be Ok to accept....it may please 4 Children whose like of childminding is not that obvious.

    What is happening now is that Cms are seeing the reality of agencies come to fruition.

    Look at Rickysmiths' statement in this forum....did she not ask recently ... ''and how many agencies have Cms on their books''? ...despite the proof that yes they do have members....even Nursery World lost track of that.

    Soon parents will be very aware of agency cms and soon they will start asking that awful question we all wanted to avoid...another prediction here to go along the 2 tiers.

    Good luck to all cms...stay united ...do not fall by disunity....I hope many of you will stand against the govt's wish to split the childminding sector.
    Last edited by Simona; 17-01-2016 at 09:24 AM.

  25. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,986
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've chopped the previous post up to respond to just a few points, so please be aware this might leave things looking a bit out-of-context.

    Natlou...I was really looking forward to some feedback from your meeting as I hope my little suggestions in our emails were of help?
    why do you think @homechildcare are very clever?...I think quite the opposite but they are really seeing into the future and taking the opportunity.
    I think the answer is in the question. What makes @homechildcare very clever? Answer: for one thing, because "they are really seeing into the future and taking the opportunity."

    Bunyip...I think you have listened very much to all discussions and are very updated...I do think though you are defensive ...in a nice way I say this ...and my questions went unanswered....why are agency cms welcome in the forum and not their FB page?
    there are several ICM FB pages...it is like a competition...glad to be out of that
    The contrarian in me should perhaps be disappointed that I'm "defensive" and not "offensive" - I must be going soft. No matter. Tbf, I think I have answered the question "why are agency cms welcome in the forum and not their FB page?" Sarah answered it much more succinctly. I apprehend that I have not answered the question in a manner that many CMs will want to hear, but I answered in nonetheless.

    You accept that cms will be split in to 2 tiers and accept cms will be against cms?....
    Short answer: yes, I do. For one thing, my experience has always been that CMs are against CMs to some degree, certainly within my decidedly short childcare career.

    At it's most basic, and whilst I accept a lot of CMs do support other CMs, it is naive to deny the very obvious point that CMs are in competition with other CMs. We are each of us constantly drawing lines as to how far we go in 'supporting' fellow-CMs. I know a few of us now refuse to share paperwork with new members on the Forum, because we've had bad experiences of new CMs popping up on here, harvesting the fruits of our labours, then disappearing into the internet equivalent of the sunset (and some of us then find our paperwork being sold by someone else on flEaBay. )

    I've helped a number of local CMs get their businesses up and running from the pre-reg stage, knowing they'd eventually be in direct competition with me. I'm happy to do that. I'm happy to pass them enquiries I can't use. I'm not happy that 1 or 2 have thought they are entitled to be given the details of every single enquiry I get, whilst they can't be ar5ed to advertise properly. This includes them thinking I'll pay for childcare.co.uk membership then break the rules of that site to find clients for them.

    So, we all draw lines when it comes to who we'll support and how.

    I had 'childcare professionals' telling me I shouldn't be a CM while I was still in the basic-training room. Ever since registration I've faced a local CM group who deliberately set out to damage the businesses of any CM who won't join their little clique and play by their rules. Support? No - another example of an existing CM-against-CM situation.

    You yourself stated there already was a 2-tier system due to networks , and you yourself prophesied that agencies would create a new 2-tier system. As I said previously, I believe we should recognise that the 2-tiers are the result of the existence of agencies, and we should not accept the blame for the 2 tiers.

    One final point, and I'm conscious that it's a little unfair of me to pick out a single word for attention, so forgive me. I do it to further the debate, not to criticise or run down your perfectly coherent argument. You've mentioned in this and other threads about "the fact one part of the sector is now deregulated as per govt's wish". If, as you suggest, agency CMing is "deregulated" childcare, is it not reasonable for us to be a little wary of deregulated childcarers, in a similar way (albeit to a lesser degree) that we are wary of unregulated/unregistered childcarers?

    Just throwing a few points out there for thought and discussion.
    Last edited by bunyip; 17-01-2016 at 10:38 AM.

  26. #39
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Bunyip...2 things that you have triggered reflection on.

    1. Can cms be possibly forced into joining an agency?
    Having had this nagging doubt from the start I feel 'kind of reassured' we cannot be from discussions I have had with those who seem to know

    But ...of course...Ofsted could leave cms with no option!...if you know what I mean.

    2. Having 'reacted' in different ways to agencies...mostly in a negative form as we seem to be reacting now...how about some pro active actions?

    I would assume that NHS nurses work alongside nurses from an agency when the latter are called in to fill vacancies?
    The same could be applied to teachers who work alongside those who come to their school from agencies to fill teachers shortfall?

    Just 2 thoughts and lots to think about maybe?

  27. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,986
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    1. Can cms be possibly forced into joining an agency?
    Having had this nagging doubt from the start I feel 'kind of reassured' we cannot be from discussions I have had with those who seem to know
    I'd say "yes, we could".

    One of Life's little rules: "some things are impossible, but some things just take a little longer."

    Example. Back in the 1980's we were fighting the proposed Sunday trading laws with USDAW. Government, business, the media and 9-5 office types went to great lengths to reassure us that nobody would ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER be forced to work Sundays, not even in new contracts or new employees. Likewise, every single shop-worker working Sundays would always and forever be paid on a higher rate. Now, and for some time, it has been absolutely standard for shop workers to have to work Sundays and on their basic rate, and the Sunday laws are due to be relaxed even further.

    Example: previous to being a CM, I worked on London Underground. RMT and even the pro-management lackeys in TSSA were warning that Transport for London would try to close station ticket offices. We were constantly reassured "it'll never happen" I may even have the letter somewhere from the CEO to all staff that it was complete nonsense, impractical, trades union scaremongering for political ends, etc. I believe it has taken them less than 12 months to close the majority to ticket offices, all before they'd even completed the risk assessments and safety audits to consider the implications.

  28. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
Soon to be registered CM with an agency! Soon to be registered CM with an agency! Soon to be registered CM with an agency!

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk