Latest agency status, from EY Report 2015, Wilshaw this week
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,755
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Latest agency status, from EY Report 2015, Wilshaw this week

    '46. The introduction in September 2014 of childminder
    agencies, where parents would be able to find a
    local childminder by contacting an agency, has
    yet to take off. To date, Ofsted has registered five
    agencies. As of June 2015, no childminders were
    registered with agencies.'

    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...eport_2015.pdf

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,824
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'll have a proper read tomorrow.

    The bits I read did seem quite complimentary to childminders, so I hope I haven't just read the good bits!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    330
    Registered Childminder since
    May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Where can we get a hardcopy please?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've skimmed it at the min, but it looks pretty good so thanks for the share. No CMs registered with an agency that calls for a big LOL!!!!

  5. #5
    Simona Guest

    Default

    This is the bit I found very interesting...incentives to bring those CMs who have resigned to come back??
    Ofsted created the crisis and now face reality when 30 hours and lack of places is looming large?
    Wilshaw did use praise for cms when last year he told parents to put their child in a school not the 'local cm'.

    50. There are 15,000 childminders who have resigned their registration
    between 1 September 2008 and 30 April 2015. Pressures on capacity may
    create incentives to consider drawing childminders from this cohort back
    into the sector. However, the level of performance of these childminders is
    less likely to be high, with only 60% good or outstanding. Feedback from
    the sector suggests that some resignations will have been in response to
    higher expectations in the EYFS about support for children’s learning and
    development. Because childminders are home-based and self-employed,
    it is also likely to be the case that many inactive childminders are not
    taking children because childminding no longer suits their home life and
    circumstances.

    Another bit that made me laugh is that the EYFS was reviewed by Dame Alice Tickell? that I am aware of her name is Clare!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,824
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post

    Another bit that made me laugh is that the EYFS was reviewed by Dame Alice Tickell? that I am aware of her name is Clare!
    A quick goggle search tells us that she is Dame Oriana Clare Tickell. Perhaps Alice is his pet name for her

  7. Likes tulip0803, Kiddleywinks liked this post
  8. #7
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    A quick goggle search tells us that she is Dame Oriana Clare Tickell. Perhaps Alice is his pet name for her
    I wonder if she has noticed her change of name? I follow her on Twitter...no comment so far.

    Natiou82...certainly a relief no one has registered with an agency yet.....I wait with baited breath to hear about our EY team's own agency as they were the last to be registered recently.
    So far they have told us they have passed the registration...will any cm join?

  9. #8
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    '46. The introduction in September 2014 of childminder
    agencies, where parents would be able to find a
    local childminder by contacting an agency, has
    yet to take off. To date, Ofsted has registered five
    agencies. As of June 2015, no childminders were
    registered with agencies.'

    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...eport_2015.pdf
    At the time this Ofsted report was published there were actually 6 agencies registered as Agency 12 was registered in June.

    We now know they are called City Childcare CMA and listed on the Ofsted website
    Ofsted | Search results: Inspection Reports

  10. #9
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Aarrgghh! It's Black Friday for me.

    Our LA Cm agency has just announced on Twitter they are the 1st in the country to register 'a' CM.
    So I went to check their website ....as they posted the link too.

    Achieving for Children | Childminder Agency
    Last edited by Simona; 28-08-2015 at 10:04 AM.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,755
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Aarrgghh! It's Black Friday for me.

    Our LA Cm agency has just announced on Twitter they are the 1st in the country to register 'a' CM.
    So I went to check their website ....as they posted the link too.

    Achieving for Children | Childminder Agency
    and finally a price list for registering with an agency- £300 per year

  12. #11
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    and finally a price list for registering with an agency- £300 per year
    That we knew for a long time...however...I believe that is just the m'ship package in order to join.
    unless this has changed from our last meeting training is in addition and our LA is not cheap....my eyes and ears are wide open shut!

    Also ...as mentioned...the agency will support their CMs while at the same time supporting ICMs....conflict of interest to be sure! And I was not the only one to raise this issue
    Last edited by Simona; 28-08-2015 at 11:19 AM.

  13. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
  14. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,755
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    That we knew for a long time...however...I believe that is just the m'ship package in order to join.
    unless this has changed from our last meeting training is in addition and our LA is not cheap....my eyes and ears are wide open shut!

    Also ...as mentioned...the agency will support their CMs while at the same time supporting ICMs....conflict of interest to be sure! And I was not the only one to raise this issue
    The £300 annual package includes 'Up to 16 hours bespoke training, networking and workshops to add to your CPD'
    But what that actually means...?

  15. #13
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    The £300 annual package includes 'Up to 16 hours bespoke training, networking and workshops to add to your CPD'
    But what that actually means...?
    I found the info confusing so I sent them a tweet
    I was asked to email them so they would address this for me.....no thanks!

    I remember the info given at the meeting and it does not add up...unless my memory is dodgy!

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    537
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We will no doubt discover more soon!

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,824
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Our LA Cm agency has just announced on Twitter they are the 1st in the country to register 'a' CM.
    I wonder how many parents are flocking to sign up to use that solitary childminder? I wonder how many cms an agency feel they will need before they can start offering their services to parents?

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    in the never never land fighting off fae
    Posts
    6,857
    Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Aarrgghh! It's Black Friday for me.

    Our LA Cm agency has just announced on Twitter they are the 1st in the country to register 'a' CM.
    So I went to check their website ....as they posted the link too.

    Achieving for Children | Childminder Agency
    Maybe they offered this cm a free membership
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

  19. #17
    Simona Guest

    Default

    I am not really worried whether the cm was 'deregistered' for free or paid a hefty sum to do so or thought that getting a 10% discount was such a bargain!

    The main concern here is that there are another 10 cms waiting to do the same and I am sure that will happen.

    We can take this seriously, joke or be sarcastic about it but in a way history has been made and childminding will never be the same...some will accept agencies, others never will.

    The issue remains the same...there will be 2 tiers of cms and we were unable to stop this from happening.
    Also remember talking about agencies is one thing...having one on your doorstep in quite another....they do have a very wide reach

  20. #18
    Simona Guest

    Default

    2 CMs are now registered with my LA agency and 12 are in the process of registering.

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,960
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    As a new childminder, with 3 children via the agency ...£300 is not a lot! Help and support to register etc... Though what they will do on the DBS check for £20 is beyond me!
    I hate to say this but I think it is quite an attractive package for newbies.
    So the issue is how will this effect current independent childminders?...childcare.co.uk are now advertising and more and more parents will be accessing it...but really ...when you think about the access to parents, courses, this forum, advice and Sarah's info ( &#128079 we do really well financially on annual costs.
    Big thanks to admin for this.
    I think ( and hope) that the agencies will Bob alongside current independent childminders, if your ofsted grade is ok or your word of mouth reference is fine, parents won't want to pay an agency either.
    Must be an unsettling thought though Simona...it's the unknown.

  22. #20
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    As a new childminder, with 3 children via the agency ...£300 is not a lot! Help and support to register etc... Though what they will do on the DBS check for £20 is beyond me!
    I hate to say this but I think it is quite an attractive package for newbies.
    So the issue is how will this effect current independent childminders?...childcare.co.uk are now advertising and more and more parents will be accessing it...but really ...when you think about the access to parents, courses, this forum, advice and Sarah's info ( &#128079 we do really well financially on annual costs.
    Big thanks to admin for this.
    I think ( and hope) that the agencies will Bob alongside current independent childminders, if your ofsted grade is ok or your word of mouth reference is fine, parents won't want to pay an agency either.
    Must be an unsettling thought though Simona...it's the unknown.
    That is only the basic package....there is much more to pay on top of that....that is my understanding.
    Attractive?...depends on how cms see this...those registering are CMs giving up their Ofsted registration to return to a Network prescriptive style and I know why they are doing it as I know who is running the agency.

    Will it affect local CMs?......of course it will and will have repercussion on CMs as a whole ....competition is only part of it......luckily we have people monitoring this at local level.

    My view is that agencies will not Bob along ...they are a threat to CMs after 35 years of trying to achieve equality...it is not a Question of competition ...it is a question of accepting 'deregulation' for CMs and accepting agency as a fait accompli....the vast majority will reject this

    I can' t comment on childcare.co.uk or the support given here as I have not experienced it but appreciate the support it provides for many CMs.....the miniute we accept agencies we are doomed and unfortunately it feels like that is exactly what is happening as long as the agency is not on our doorstep nothing to worry about....I differ on that.


    At a time when Ofsted is calling for closer links within the sector CMs are being divided in 2 distinctive groups and 2 tiers are being created just like when we had the dreaded CMs Networks...history repeats itself!

    Luckily I am out of it but will continue to voice my strong resistance to agencies and what it will mean for CMs in the long run....it is not the Unknown ...it is reality.
    Only time will tell.

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
Latest agency status, from EY Report 2015, Wilshaw this week Latest agency status, from EY Report 2015, Wilshaw this week Latest agency status, from EY Report 2015, Wilshaw this week

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk