Minister is taken to task today
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    not where I should be...
    Posts
    10,845
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Minister is taken to task today

    Starts at 43 mins - Politics Show today

    BBC iPlayer - Sunday Politics South - 08/02/2015
    Debbie

  2. Likes VeggieSausage liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    My happy place
    Posts
    663
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    Starts at 43 mins - Politics Show today

    BBC iPlayer - Sunday Politics South - 08/02/2015
    I watched this and you came across brilliantly. Well done you. And weren't your kids really good?

    I also thought your setting was terrific.



    (Can't say the same for Sam G.)

    L

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,494
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    not where I should be...
    Posts
    10,845
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am very proud of the children, they were so excited about being filmed.

    Trio were mentioned and if this link works it shows the prices given so far and if you click on the bronze, silver and gold it explains what is included for the money.

    Annual Subscriptions/Renewals
    Debbie

  6. Likes VeggieSausage liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,795
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    I am very proud of the children, they were so excited about being filmed.

    Trio were mentioned and if this link works it shows the prices given so far and if you click on the bronze, silver and gold it explains what is included for the money.

    Annual Subscriptions/Renewals
    But, I believe those membership levels with Trio are not to do with joining their 'CM Agency' where you up your independent Ofsted registrations? It is just a general membership scheme to get some training, paperwork templates, helpline and shop discount?

    Just want to check in case any mistake these as CM Agency prices (as that is also part of this thread)... have I got that right?

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Neverland
    Posts
    2,137
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Well done Debbie

    Unfortunately it seems ministers themselves are unaware that agencies will not necessarily reduce the paperwork burden on childminders - observations etc cannot be done by the agency and that is where the bulk of our paperwork actually lies.
    Accounts can be sent to a book keeper and or accountant, everything else, training, cpd, first aid, learning journeys, obs, and accident/incident forms still can't be done by someone else because of joining an agency can they?!

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    not where I should be...
    Posts
    10,845
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    But, I believe those membership levels with Trio are not to do with joining their 'CM Agency' where you up your independent Ofsted registrations? It is just a general membership scheme to get some training, paperwork templates, helpline and shop discount?

    Just want to check in case any mistake these as CM Agency prices (as that is also part of this thread)... have I got that right?
    I haven't heard anything yet about any other rates. Will feed back if something comes forward. I am talking with them this week.
    Debbie

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Surrounded by pesky Smurfs
    Posts
    4,551
    Registered Childminder since
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well done . But I'm annoyed that they are still spouting off about US being flexible. Most CMs I know have family of their own. When do they get time with their own kids as a family?
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

  11. Likes lisbet liked this post
  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,573
    Registered Childminder since
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well done Chatterbox. Sam G is my local MP -I worry about his opinions. I don't understand what paperwork burden they think they would take from individuals and give to the agency?

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    My happy place
    Posts
    663
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    Well done Chatterbox. Sam G is my local MP -I worry about his opinions. I don't understand what paperwork burden they think they would take from individuals and give to the agency?
    Have you thought of asking for a meeting with him (as he's your local MP) and showing him the kind of paperwork involved in childminding?

    (If he was my MP, I don't think I could resist!)

    L

  14. Likes Kiddleywinks, lisbet liked this post
  15. #11
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Thanks for sharing the link CC
    I am absolutely fuming after that...and I hope that CMs will join me and.... the others already complaining about this programme...one thing is talking about agencies the other is making a very unfair playing field for Independent CMs...this was absolutely the intention

    Trio Childcare are out of order...as for Sam Gyimah...my heart sinks every time I listen to his waffle
    Last edited by Simona; 09-02-2015 at 08:51 AM.

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    not where I should be...
    Posts
    10,845
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Thanks for sharing the link CC
    I am absolutely fuming after that...and I hope that CMs will join me and.... the others already complaining about this programme...one thing is talking about agencies the other is making a very unfair playing field for Independent CMs...this was absolutely the intention

    Trio Childcare are out of order...as for Sam Gyimah...my heart sinks every time I listen to his waffle
    Sorry Simona - what have Trio done exactly that is so wrong? Julia states quite clearly that she is only becoming an agency because there needs to be one out there who understands both childminders and what quality is?

    Not sure why you are attacking them verbally.
    Debbie

  17. #13
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    Sorry Simona - what have Trio done exactly that is so wrong? Julia states quite clearly that she is only becoming an agency because there needs to be one out there who understands both childminders and what quality is?

    Not sure why you are attacking them verbally.
    I understand that Trio offer good support to cms in your area...so why do they have to become an agency if cms are happy with that?
    I am not happy with the way the programme flagged up agencies but not enough said on how good and efficient cms are at running their own business, sorting paperwork and getting support training where available if not from their LA.
    Do we need an agency to understand cms and quality? Not in my view because our grades at inspections are very good from what Ofsted reports tell us.

    both cms and parents have a choice...that was not on offer in the programme

    I was, am and will always be against agencies...I believe the vast majority of cms are against agencies....are we now to accept them....I am puzzled as to why I am attacking them?
    I would have thought it was obvious why....deregulation, loss of individual inspection and someone running cms business

    there has been a lot written about that programme which I am sure you have seen
    last but not least Gyimah mentioned pacey...there are 2 other cms associations very much against agencies...I would have liked them to be interviewed as well.

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    not where I should be...
    Posts
    10,845
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I understand that Trio offer good support to cms in your area...so why do they have to become an agency if cms are happy with that?
    I am not happy with the way the programme flagged up agencies but not enough said on how good and efficient cms are at running their own business, sorting paperwork and getting support training where available if not from their LA.
    Do we need an agency to understand cms and quality? Not in my view because our grades at inspections are very good from what Ofsted reports tell us.

    both cms and parents have a choice...that was not on offer in the programme

    I was, am and will always be against agencies...I believe the vast majority of cms are against agencies....are we now to accept them....I am puzzled as to why I am attacking them?
    I would have thought it was obvious why....deregulation, loss of individual inspection and someone running cms business

    there has been a lot written about that programme which I am sure you have seen
    last but not least Gyimah mentioned pacey...there are 2 other cms associations very much against agencies...I would have liked them to be interviewed as well.
    Trio did not particularly want to become an agency but there doing so because they believe in quality childcare and want to see an agency, if going ahead, run to the benefit of childminders. I know you don't believe in agencies but there are people who do (I never will be one of them though). I help a lot of new people start and some of them want policies written for them, risk assessment templates, training organised etc.. Whilst agencies provide choice, Trio are trying to give that with a quality aspect. No one needs to "attack" them as you have the choice.

    I think that the programme was not about paperwork and what we do and independence it was about are agencies going to work and are they in fact needed and wanted?

    To question why just Pacey when there are other organisations - I believe it is because Pacey are at the forefront and as a known body working with the Government, whereas others are not. I know there are others out there but where do we see them?
    Debbie

  19. #15
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    Trio did not particularly want to become an agency but there doing so because they believe in quality childcare and want to see an agency, if going ahead, run to the benefit of childminders. I know you don't believe in agencies but there are people who do (I never will be one of them though). I help a lot of new people start and some of them want policies written for them, risk assessment templates, training organised etc.. Whilst agencies provide choice, Trio are trying to give that with a quality aspect. No one needs to "attack" them as you have the choice.

    I think that the programme was not about paperwork and what we do and independence it was about are agencies going to work and are they in fact needed and wanted?

    To question why just Pacey when there are other organisations - I believe it is because Pacey are at the forefront and as a known body working with the Government, whereas others are not. I know there are others out there but where do we see them?
    It is good to debate this CC...I believe there is an alternative to agencies for cms as I believe there is a very serious reason why govt and Ofsted want them.

    I do know about the other 2 associations that represent cms...I also know they are extremely active in the agency issue and I personally communicate with them regularly as do other cms....there are plenty of articles from them on the issue of agencies...both are part of OBC...both met Truss et al and both raise pertinent concerns on agencies.

  20. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    not where I should be...
    Posts
    10,845
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    It is good to debate this CC...I believe there is an alternative to agencies for cms as I believe there is a very serious reason why govt and Ofsted want them.

    I do know about the other 2 associations that represent cms...I also know they are extremely active in the agency issue and I personally communicate with them regularly as do other cms....there are plenty of articles from them on the issue of agencies...both are part of OBC...both met Truss et al and both raise pertinent concerns on agencies.
    I agree with you about agencies - who wants them? umm very few...
    Debbie

  21. #17
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    I agree with you about agencies - who wants them? umm very few...
    Let's hope cms retain their nerve and say no...we do not need them and can run successful businesses.
    Spare a thought for cms in my area...we have 2 potential agencies coming up...our hands are full! roll on our meeting in 2 weeks' time!

  22. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
  23. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,573
    Registered Childminder since
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipop kid View Post
    Have you thought of asking for a meeting with him (as he's your local MP) and showing him the kind of paperwork involved in childminding? (If he was my MP, I don't think I could resist!) L
    I have emailed suggesting that I am happy to be involved in any research purposes for him to understand a childminders point of view.

  24. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
  25. #19
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    I have emailed suggesting that I am happy to be involved in any research purposes for him to understand a childminders point of view.
    Sam Gyimah has been very busy recently visiting many nurseries and advertisiting this on Twitter
    I wonder how many cms settings he has visited or intends to visit in the near future?
    Will he end up being another Truss who said she visited many but ended up being a handful?

  26. #20
    Simona Guest

    Default

    As has Nicky Morgan...off visiting so many schools and advertising it at every opportunity.
    I don't think I have ever heard her mention cms?

    Strange that Morgan rarely mentions EY. either...does she know we are part of the education mob and under her dept?

  27. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
Minister is taken to task today Minister is taken to task today Minister is taken to task today

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk