Likes Likes:  52
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Simona;1382492]You Smiley fox...you kept it all to yourself!!
    Mind you it took me ages to find the right St Bede's school in the 1st place as you know...there are sooo many and never found the link to their website that's why I asked if you could share

I think I didn't initially share because I couldn't quite believe it!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Just popped on to website to see for myself what St Bedes is all about. If I was a childminder locally it doesn't give me confident vibes about the service they might provide for me!
    You would think if the website designers are going to use fictional characters they would choose a childcare one, Mary Poppins, Euphegenia Doubtfire etc... though I have a LO who would love the action packed, shoot em up childcare that I would imagine you would get from Bruce - good role model for promoting characteristics of learning, solving problems, seeking challenges.

The idea of when you have low days being able to do supply in the nursery might be a positive for some - if you don't have your own children to care for though.
    That idea is possibly very attractive to some cms...a bit of variety and working with others settings...I would like it myself as an opportunity to engage and discover how other settings operate

What I am worried is that the website says 'Cms will be self employed in their own setting'...or such like...did I read that correctly?
    What employment status will they have if they opt to do supply cover???

RS...I will reflect on that...if not the Minister I know where else to refer this

Does anyone not remember when the 20 Agencies Triallist were named one of them allowed their website to go live while still under construction?

it caused a few laughs and worries then ...it went a bit viral with people joking about it and sending links to one another to take a look...I did not think it was funny .

History repeats itself and CMs deserve better...

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    It all seems really worrying to me. A large 'academy' with 6 nurseries already looking to recruit childminders, It all sounds very business like.

Seems that I'm making the right decision to give up in Sept 16 if this is the way its going.

The website looks more like a dating agency rather than someone looking for a childminder. The mugshots don't look like any childminders I've seen .. lol (Apoloies Bunyip if you are similar looking to one of these chaps)

I find Bunyip to be more Iron Man than Batman but does have the batman voice down to a tee
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

4. Likes JCrakers liked this post
    Simona Guest

In addition to St Bede's Academy ...has anyone been able to access the websites of the 3 Ofsted registered agencies and found anything useful?

The other school now registered is Northumberland Church of England Academy (NCEA)...is it a coincidence that this one like St Bede's is an Academy?
    I believe Trio Childcare is now registered as well but I am missing the 4th one despite searching the Ofsted website...has anyone found any more?

PS: I think it is @Home Childcare...so 3 agencies in the North and one in the south.
    Last edited by Simona; 05-03-2015 at 10:26 AM.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

@homechildcare still say their service will be unveiled in the coming months! @homechildcare.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting if it is @homechildcare as that is local to myself and funnily enough we are about to lose our local pacey team and I'm at a loss at to what our LA support looks like. I'm also starting my level 3 training with them so I'll be keeping my eyes peeled and ears open x

Simona Guest

None of the 4 websites give any info on anything
    St Bede's has a section with question on charges which they do not respond to

NCEA has nothing on being registered but they were advertised in NWorld with 4 Children's support...that ad is enough to make you yell....Google it and read it

Trio talk about scaremongering but no further info

@Home Childcare say they will announce further plans in future

Why the secrecy if they are registered?..all we want to know is how many CMs have switched over to them and how many they are currently registering...simple!
    Not even Sue Robb would answer that last week but our LA told us what they would charge...ha ha ...I am still laughing

In addition CMs agencies can now access a DfE grant to set up...£1,000 which is U turn on being self funded...smell a rat?
    Last edited by Simona; 05-03-2015 at 05:44 PM.

9. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

The @homechildcare site looks VERY interesting. On the page for parents, it's says the cost of care is £4.17 per hour, and you only pay for what you use. At £4.17, I wonder what the childminders gets paid?

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    The @homechildcare site looks VERY interesting. On the page for parents, it's says the cost of care is £4.17 per hour, and you only pay for what you use. At £4.17, I wonder what the childminders gets paid?
    This is why I would not go near an Agency. I bet the Childminder gets minimum wage, and has no choice but to take whichever 3 EY children she is given, regardless of how they 'gel' together. And I further bet that at the first accident/incident, it will be put down to poor standards on the childminder's part; then it will be 'bye-bye' (unsupported) childminder. The Agency will be blameless, and will write it off as having made a poor recruitment choice.

Shudder!

12. Likes Ripeberry, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop kid View Post
    This is why I would not go near an Agency. I bet the Childminder gets minimum wage, and has no choice but to take whichever 3 EY children she is given, regardless of how they 'gel' together. And I further bet that at the first accident/incident, it will be put down to poor standards on the childminder's part; then it will be 'bye-bye' (unsupported) childminder. The Agency will be blameless, and will write it off as having made a poor recruitment choice.

Shudder!

FAQs

But this price and all the info is all about 'HOME childcarers'= athomechildcare-employed nannies, not childminders.

No mention of children going for child care at a child minders house at all on this website, that I can find...?? Only that more info about how they will support childminders will come out in future months.

14. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

St Bedes says first childminder being signed up very soon and their Facebook page says many more in the pipeline!

16. Likes blue bear liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    FAQs

But this price and all the info is all about 'HOME childcarers'= athomechildcare-employed nannies, not childminders.

No mention of children going for child care at a child minders house at all on this website, that I can find...?? Only that more info about how they will support childminders will come out in future months.
    Good spot, Moggy. I will be watching that with interest. Can't see the Agency being anything other than a profit centre, though, with a team of 'employed' home childminders on their books, all earning minimum wage, and all being disposable. (Like a Temp Agency.)

Here's hoping I'm wrong, for the children's sake.

L

18. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    St Bedes says first childminder being signed up very soon and their Facebook page says many more in the pipeline!
    I couldn't help it
    So much for the huge success it was predicted.

20. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Simona Guest

Do not trust anything just because it is not 'in print'.
    Lots is going on behind the scenes despite the fact agencies are hardly in the news

Keep your eyes and ears open and keep asking questions.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Is it possible they have to finish their training first......?

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    Ah, just spotted. The Case study described the kids as being 'cared for in their own home'

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    Is it possible they have to finish their training first......?
    Kiddleywinks Who is finishing their training? ...........the Cms joining or the agency itself?

K1rstie.....@Home Childcare are an 'AGENCY' already for nannies although they also offer CMinding services and have branched off in Home Childcare

It says in one of their various website pages 'we employ you'....so I assume those cms who have given up end up being employed by the agency...not sure as I do not want to speculate.

As we already know Cms agencies can employ cms or allow them to remain self employed...the consequences are not to be taken lightly by any cm wishing to join or the agency itself if things go wrong.

One thing no one has spotted is that £4.17...if that is true is what they pay hourly...is well below the minimum wage
    I understand that not paying the MW is illegal....can anyone confirm that?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I might be wrong but I think in a private 'domestic' situation you don't have to pay minimum wage, however, I can't see that an agency can call itself a private domestic anything!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I might be wrong but I think in a private 'domestic' situation you don't have to pay minimum wage, however, I can't see that an agency can call itself a private domestic anything!
    If an agency employs anyone in any shape or form or situation or role ...they are an employer and would use PAYE...correct me if wrong
    @Home Childcare will not be a private domestic anything...they will be registered.
    Maybe you are thinking of a private arrangement between ...say...a cleaner and whoever requires the cleaning? that is a private arrangement and usually people receive cash in hand....usually around £10 in my area.

For an agency that goes on and on about giving CMs a 'choice' this is a very poor one ...if those wages turn out to be true....that is why I am asking cms to keep their eyes and ears open and ...ask questions.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Kiddleywinks Who is finishing their training? ...........the Cms joining or the agency itself?

K1rstie.....@Home Childcare are an 'AGENCY' already for nannies although they also offer CMinding services and have branched off in Home Childcare

It says in one of their various website pages 'we employ you'....so I assume those cms who have given up end up being employed by the agency...not sure as I do not want to speculate.

As we already know Cms agencies can employ cms or allow them to remain self employed...the consequences are not to be taken lightly by any cm wishing to join or the agency itself if things go wrong.

One thing no one has spotted is that £4.17...if that is true is what they pay hourly...is well below the minimum wage
    I understand that not paying the MW is illegal....can anyone confirm that?
    I spotted that £4.17 cost-to-parents above and it was for employed-nannies and signaled as a 'prices from...' or such-like. How they achieve that rate is not explained but could be with nanny-share or who-knows-what other costs on top. No relation to agency-childminder rates which no one is publishing yet, it seems.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast