CMs agencies...more concerns
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Simona Guest

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Our plans are to have inspection report and an up to date RAG rating for every childminder online

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by agency12 View Post
    Hi,

Our plans are to have inspection report and an up to date RAG rating for every childminder online
    Whose inspection report? The agency gets inspected by Ofsted not CMs ...so you mean monitoring visits would be published?

Post Thanks / Like

I will keep my official Ofsted rating thankyou. I know parents don't always read the ofsted reports but I still think parents will choose an ofsted registered CM with an official rating rather than a RAG rating from an agency. Especially since I can't see agency CMs offering a cheaper service due to paying fees to the agency.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    I will keep my official Ofsted rating thankyou. I know parents don't always read the ofsted reports but I still think parents will choose an ofsted registered CM with an official rating rather than a RAG rating from an agency. Especially since I can't see agency CMs offering a cheaper service due to paying fees to the agency.
    The problem is that agencies will be allowed to 'inspect' cms...it is in the guidance

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...date=&to_date=

My EY team has applied to become an agency and they have stated they will inspect cms and grade them...that is the first worry when these people running agencies ...and anyone can....are NOT trained to inspect but will reassure parents cms have had an inspection.

The RAG grading is soooooo out of date it is unbelievable anyone would use it...it has no scope for aiming beyond good.
    Maybe Agency12 needs to look at what is happening in terms of QA

Not all agencies will charge parents...we need to wait and hear although many agencies will not divulge that information.
    Our EY Agency will not charge but then the whole package is laughable anyway.

It is worrying too that an agency would still ask now: what do cms want?
    CMs please read all the document in that link...too many are still not well informed....agencies have been pushed in the background because of other matters

Do not wait until you have to say : I didn't know that!

If anyone is going to any OBC meeting please raise this to the Ofsted panel...I am off to the London OBC in June with a list of questions.
    I would say Ofsted in their 'once over' ...God forbid I would take that description seriously....will expect an agency to evidence that without asking cms first.

keep informed and dust off all the publications !!!

6. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

The whole thing is scary
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    The whole thing is scary
    More than scary it is frustrating as agencies have been forgotten but I am sure lots is going on behind the scenes....not just on this issue but many.

Follow PLA and their plans for the sector...a good challenge for all.
    I think it is just a question of rekindling the challenge about agencies and getting answers!

9. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just noticed a fifth agency has registered a few days ago.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    I see their application is number 10. Will be interesting to see if the others ever register.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Yes and that agency is in my LA...which I have been writing about a lot as we have huge concerns about it.
    PLA tweeted yesterday they are now registered.

That agency is a Social Enterprise called Achieving for Children...it is between Richmond and Kingston

So now I have an agency right on my door step....our next CMs forum will be great fun.
    I believe that when agencies apply they are given a number such as CA0001 etc etc...looks like no 10 has achieved registration before the others possibly because their plan is exactly how they run their Network.
    Slowly slowly they will all register.

Post Thanks / Like

My local authority seems to be laying off pedagogy staff rather than creating anything that
    could become an agency

Simona Guest

My local authority seems to be laying off pedagogy staff rather than creating anything that
    could become an agency
    Thanks for your reply
    I am not clear why LA are laying off 'pedagogy' and creating anything that would become an agency?

Post Thanks / Like

Who are the slowly slowly they will all register ?
    Cm's with a handle on EYFS and a few ofsted inspections under their belt (especially the outstanding ones) would be crazy to join an agency.

I can see local authorities getting in on the act, Richmond is a start - but unless they make it somehow obligatory, or especially difficult for cm's to operate unless they 'agency-up' they will be a LA with a childcare team called an agency in name only

Simona Guest

Who are the slowly slowly they will all register ?
    Cm's with a handle on EYFS and a few ofsted inspections under their belt (especially the outstanding ones) would be crazy to join an agency.

I can see local authorities getting in on the act, Richmond is a start - but unless they make it somehow obligatory, or especially difficult for cm's to operate unless they 'agency-up' they will be a LA with a childcare team called an agency in name only
    Richmond LA is not the agency...Achieving for Children is...very different I'm afraid.
    Each cm who remains 'independent' is an agency in itself because the main choice is remaining 'registered' with Ofsted...that is exactly what Truss believed ...but things have moved on since and she is now busy culling badgers.

As you are a nursery can you explain why you feel adequately knowledgeable and competent in being an agency for CMs?

What is 'agency up'?...I would call it 'agency down' to use your jargon.

I fail to understand what having a 'handle on the EYFS' actually means...or is it that we have a good knowledge of the framework?

As for who gets registered you will have to wait and see....some of us are still digging and questioning!
    Last edited by Simona; 06-06-2015 at 07:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Achieving for children seem to be top heavy with council folk - they even offer council pensions to employees - I'm not sure how autonomous they are (or would wish to be)

The obvious contenders for agencies are the likes of 'achieving' or indeed PACEY - i'd like to know if St Bedes CA000001 got 'outstanding' and who/what they compared it to, with so few of us it's difficult to get an overview

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

Does agency 12 ever answer a question or do they think they are like politicians and only answer a question with another question or some other sort of drivel, it is just like listening to government officials.
    Teacake2

19. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Simona Guest

Achieving for children seem to be top heavy with council folk - they even offer council pensions to employees - I'm not sure how autonomous they are (or would wish to be)

The obvious contenders for agencies are the likes of 'achieving' or indeed PACEY - i'd like to know if St Bedes CA000001 got 'outstanding' and who/what they compared it to, with so few of us it's difficult to get an overview
    Achieving for Children is a big Social Enterprise and its remit is very wide.....included in that is now being a CM agency.
    You can read lots of articles in the press...you would find them fascinating!
    The letter I have received from its CEO is even more interesting!

AfC is a SE between 2 LAs which have merged so I am sure it is , as you say; 'top heavy with council folk'....maybe you mean those who worked for Richmond LA and Kingston are now employed by AfC? in which case you are correct.

They would have pension schemes in place because every employer has to do that now...see recent govt legislation...is that related to agencies or this thread?
    AfC ...is it independent?...well not really a concern for you as you are a nursery....but a concern for cms like me who fought the agency idea and questioned a lot of things...and, as said, now have an agency on our doorstep...I am sharpening my focus even more to keep an eye on them.

Anyone can be an agency....or at least that is the govt's idea and what Truss said to me and my colleague when we met her in 2012.
    As long as an agency de-registers cms and follows the Ofsted guidance...voila' ...job done.
    If, as you say, the obvious contenders are AfC or Pacey...why have you applied to register?

Either you have little knowledge of CMs or you are here asking questions to inform your agency model? and prepare for your registration visit...or something else?

You did ask me a question about who will register in future and I have not answered that one...you will find out soon....but I think they may have a bit more understanding than that you appear to have from your questions.
    Also ask 4 Children...DfE strategic partner!
    Also look at who Darrel Care is...very revealing!

St Bede's has received its registration visit....I don't know if they received Outstanding...but if they did, is possibly because they have all the required paperwork and support in place, have a model that is acceptable to DfE and Ofsted and have submitted a good plan which, I am afraid to say, you do not seem to have or give impression you do.

Teacake....Agency 12 has been approved as a member of this forum and asks a lots of questions but rarely replies...so I apologise if this is boring people.
    Leaving her questions unanswered may give agency 12 more room for speculation and wild assumptions.
    You may remember at the very start of this saga that many potential agencies invited cms to attend meeting where lots of questions were asked of us...to inform their model....many cms were furious at this tactic....many voiced their concerns.

Sadly it is what agency 12 is using...coming here and asking lots of questions but never give an answer.
    This is extremely concerning but obviously not to those members reading as there are no objections raised ,although the thread is read widely.

Very sad really for Cms to be used in this way!

The London OBC on 24 June has CMs agencies on the agenda...I shall seek many clarifications then!
    Last edited by Simona; 07-06-2015 at 08:05 AM.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am reading and am not in favour of agencies but as I can see no point in discussing anything with a prospective agency and therefore giving them ideas, I am not joining in a discussion.
    I read in the hope that I read something that makes me think people setting up agencies actually know the market and what they are doing.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I am reading and am not in favour of agencies but as I can see no point in discussing anything with a prospective agency and therefore giving them ideas, I am not joining in a discussion.
    I read in the hope that I read something that makes me think people setting up agencies actually know the market and what they are doing.
    I do not feel I am giving ideas when replying...often it is more a case of addressing 'misinformation' and looking/quoting from the info agencies have in order to set up.
    Few are in favour of agencies but they are coming.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard that it costs £200+ for every ofsted inspection (ofsted charge £35) as the government cut back then education will take its share, there is no way they can continue- agencies will happen - some cm's wanting more support will lean towards the agencies, others will stay with ofsted - but ofsted's relationship with cm's has to change - and I don't see agencies as necessarily the bad guys in this - as the 30 'free' hours deadline approaches cm's (and nurseries) have to talk sustainability- there will be 'interesting times' ahead - both the independents and the agency registered will be in the same boat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast