Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Thank you for your reply Sarah...I think I am not the only one questioning Dudot...others have expressed the same concern

If Dudot is reading and listening please note:
    if any of our comments are published those require our permission before they go to print

That would be the professional way to do business...I think
    It's a quaint idea, but anyone who believes that for one minute really ought to steer clear of the internet.

.....and the "professional" way to play football is to bite the opposing defender. I do wish we could lose the utterly meaningless P-word from this and all businesses.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=gwm;1376520]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Going against general thinking here, but I actually think agencies might be a good thing for some childminders.

The problem is, there don't appear to be any!!
    [Yes, in theory. It might suit some childminders if they want to care for children but want to offload the administrative side of their work. But, not having seen any childminding agency in operation, I can only imagine an interested childminder paying a hefty fee to join and for training and support. They might be one of the agency childminders which Ofsted want to visit as part of their inspection of the agency....when it is being inspected. They will get their two unannounced visits per year. They will be expected to take children at very short notice as they cover emergency childcare for parents.....what with all the disputes and illnesses!!! I would think that they would be expected to take on many of the two year olds - so, a lot of chopping and changing during the day to fill up the 15 hour weekly slots. We were told at local forum that some childminders were considering working weekends and opening 7am-7pm so, with that ringing in my ears, I would think that working hours would be extended greatly. I would also imagine that all of the agency childminders would have to operate in a similar way so, personal imput or changes would not be acceptable. If the fees are to be reduced for parents then, I would imagine that the agency will set the hourly rate for the agency childminder and therefore you would have a situation as we have with supermarkets and suppliers...they will keep cutting the rate until the agency childminder is working for pennies. UOTE]
    Or as the big stores have done - only have self service after after 10pm in their 24 hour stores- agencies will have cctv and microphones to keep an eye on children instead of paying staff - Don't laugh people it could happen.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=mum67;1376588]
    Quote Originally Posted by gwm View Post

Or as the big stores have done - only have self service after after 10pm in their 24 hour stores- agencies will have cctv and microphones to keep an eye on children instead of paying staff - Don't laugh people it could happen.
    It seems that that the perfect solution has already been found

Cardboard boxes recognised as ‘child minders’

4. Likes Pauline, mum67 liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I only did my pre reg course at the beginning of last year and never once was agencies mentioned to us. I did notice at the end of a couple of the sessions a newbie asking about the changes that are coming in and the tutor hushing her and then speaking in whispered tones whilst she scanned the room for anyone listening, not sure if it was about agencies but seems strange that we were never made aware of any of this seen has it was obviously on the horizon by then.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    It's a quaint idea, but anyone who believes that for one minute really ought to steer clear of the internet.

.....and the "professional" way to play football is to bite the opposing defender. I do wish we could lose the utterly meaningless P-word from this and all businesses.
    I am very sorry Buyip if you think that my request is quaint or laughable...sadly you did not think the same of the other cm who posted her concerns
    I would still ask that any comments receive permission before printing

As for the word professional ...it depends how you look at it...the Theasurus has 30 meanings ...I know which one I meant

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am very sorry Buyip if you think that my request is quaint or laughable...sadly you did not think the same of the other cm who posted her concerns
    I would still ask that any comments receive permission before printing

As for the word professional ...it depends how you look at it...the Theasurus has 30 meanings ...I know which one I meant
    As a "request" it's fine to want a member of the press to get permission for a quote. As a "require"-ment or expectation, it's naive and fails to take account of the fact that the press (yet another 'profession') have few professional qualms about tapping the phones of the dead to get a story.

I maintain that the P-word is as dangerous as the F-word (flexibility), as your count of definitions only goes to show. It means so many different things to so many different people, and very rarely the same thing to both the speaker and the listener. Content is everything, yet the context is never made clear: it's most commonly abused as a 'value-added' tagline. Everybody in a job is told, and believes, they are a 'professional'. Some use it to hide misconduct: Vanessa George and the authorities in Rotherham could all describe themselves as "professionals", and their colleagues would have been assiduously encouraged to 'respect' them as professionals. It can also, inadvertently, lead to those 'outsiders' (who don't carry the 'professional' label) feeling patronised and offended. I've spoken with plenty of mums who are sick of having the 'professional' views of professional teachers, professional health workers, professional carers put upon them and made to feel totally inadequate because they are 'only' parents - not "professional" parents and therefore, by extension, mere "amateurs" at raising children.
    Last edited by bunyip; 04-09-2014 at 09:54 AM.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=mum67;1376588]
    Quote Originally Posted by gwm View Post

Now, didn't I say my "left child lockers" idea would be a winner...............

...........................one day.

Simona Guest

As a "request" it's fine to want a member of the press to get permission for a quote. As a "require"-ment or expectation, it's naive and fails to take account of the fact that the press (yet another 'profession') have few professional qualms about tapping the phones of the dead to get a story.

I maintain that the P-word is as dangerous as the F-word (flexibility), as your count of definitions only goes to show. It means so many different things to so many different people, and very rarely the same thing to both the speaker and the listener. Content is everything, yet the context is never made clear: it's most commonly abused as a 'value-added' tagline. Everybody in a job is told, and believes, they are a 'professional'. Some use it to hide misconduct: Vanessa George and the authorities in Rotherham could all describe themselves as "professionals", and their colleagues would have been assiduously encouraged to 'respect' them as professionals. It can also, inadvertently, lead to those 'outsiders' (who don't carry the 'professional' label) feeling patronised and offended. I've spoken with plenty of mums who are sick of having the 'professional' views of professional teachers, professional health workers, professional carers put upon them and made to feel totally inadequate because they are 'only' parents - not "professional" parents and therefore, by extension, mere "amateurs" at raising children.
    I do not know if this member has been identified as 'press'...that is why I asked was she/he a cm and where the comments would appear
    Nothing we are saying is new...or controversial or unprintable

I have just spoken to an organisation working with the govt to deliver 2 year old funding...at the end I was asked if I could be quoted in their forthcoming conference with LAs...I said yes
    I am not sure how to describe that but I felt it was the professional way to do it
    The person also added that they are working to raise the status of cms...professionalism in other words

I know you have reservations on the use of the word and I respect that ...but then I have reservations about many LAs DOs who overnight became 'consultants' who.... rather than being consulted by us to obtain support became very dictatorial on their advice

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not know if this member has been identified as 'press'...that is why I asked was she/he a cm and where the comments would appear
    Nothing we are saying is new...or controversial or unprintable

I have just spoken to an organisation working with the govt to deliver 2 year old funding...at the end I was asked if I could be quoted in their forthcoming conference with LAs...I said yes
    I am not sure how to describe that but I felt it was the professional way to do it
    The person also added that they are working to raise the status of cms...professionalism in other words

I know you have reservations on the use of the word and I respect that ...but then I have reservations about many LAs DOs who overnight became 'consultants' who.... rather than being consulted by us to obtain support became very dictatorial on their advice
    The word "press" appears on the OP's header on this thread. Always worth checking the facts...............if only the press did likewise.

I agree about the DOs. In fact I had reservations about the dictatorial tendencies of one of mine from the first time we met.

Simona Guest

The word "press" appears on the OP's header on this thread. Always worth checking the facts...............if only the press did likewise.

I agree about the DOs. In fact I had reservations about the dictatorial tendencies of one of mine from the first time we met.
    I have just spotted it even though I looked for it when you mentioned it before
    Why would this person hide under the Dudot name? say who you are and get on with it

Non childminder member
    Press
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your replies. I am sorry that I have not been able to reply to this thread sooner.

I understand it is early days with regards to government legislation for childminding agencies and that it is difficult for childminders to be able to determine fully whether agencies will be 'good or bad' for them depending on a variety of factors, therefore I decided to gather data and research from other channels instead.

I can guarantee that I would ask for your individual permission as a matter of courtesy and personal moral conscience. I can confirm and assure you that no comments were used from here in the end, but your sentiments on the subject have been helpful.

As a general point, and with your interests at heart, if this should be a concern for anyone I would point out that content on this forum is readable both as a member of the public without logging in, and indexed on Google. I am not a lawyer so this does not constitute legal advice (as it is a complex field), but my understanding from experience is that, like Twitter, any comments and opinions in this open setting could well be regarded as resting in the public domain, and therefore "fair game". For instance, if anyone was defamed here, action could be taken against the author.

I understand your reservations with regards to previous dealings with the press at large, and with quotes being used out of context and being misled. I can only say I had no intention of doing so.

The reason I joined the forum under a pseudonym is because I didn't want to be accused of possible spamming. I'm writing on behalf of a child safety publication in this context and would be happy to reveal its name if asked.

Once the agency guidelines have had some time to breathe, I am sure I shall be returning to this topic in the future. I'm sorry if I have worried anyone with regards to my intentions. You are all valuable people in a tough profession, and that requires utmost respect.

Thank you all for your time and input. It is greatly appreciated. I hope we can be friends

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12