NEWSFLASH - AGENCIES GET THE GO AHEAD!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Simona Guest

Well it appears that the passing of agencies in to law is just that....a NEWSFLASH!
    After the rivers of words and the million of questions?

There has been little reaction anywhere...apart from the few comments here...where is everyone?
    is there another place where people are venting their anger?
    do share

Registered Childminder since
    apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Why is it the end? Agencies are not the end of childminders they will only be successful if childminders join.

We all knew this bill was going through it had never been amended BUT it does not mean that its the end of childminding that will only happen if we let it.
    Exactly. we need to stand our ground and remain Independent. I for one, will not join an agency. I have just given up my job because I want the autonomy back that you get with childminding. Regimented Nursery land is not for me!! I would rather fight to the end and go work elsewhere if push came to shove. However that would have to be a very big Shove!

Anyway how long will all this setting up agencies take?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MAWI View Post
    Exactly. we need to stand our ground and remain Independent. I for one, will not join an agency. I have just given up my job because I want the autonomy back that you get with childminding. Regimented Nursery land is not for me!! I would rather fight to the end and go work elsewhere if push came to shove. However that would have to be a very big Shove!

Anyway how long will all this setting up agencies take?
    Of course we will try that but...I read often that no one trusts the power that be not to make agencies 'compulsory'
    What we need to address is HOW we can match the package agencies offer their members and where this will be available to independent CMs...there are plenty of suggestions being made out there
    I look forward to the feedback from the Truss meeting and the 4 associations next week

4. Likes MAWI liked this post
    Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I still feel like I'm missing the point......HOW are these agencies possibly going to be sustainable? They will surely have to finance themselves through either extra fees from parents (and surely there will be plenty of parents happy to do a little bit of leg work themselves rather than pay someone else to do it?) or, more likely, take a fee/cut of the hourly rate from childminders. Most childminders don't make a particularly spectacular living as it is and I know I for one would struggle to make it worth my while to carry on if I had to add agency fees to my loooong list of expenses. Granted I'll have to pay a higher fee for my ofsted inspection in order to stay independent but I'm guessing the agency fee will be considerably higher. It just seems so ill conceived I feel like I'm missing a vital piece of information as to how its all going to work!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Emra81 View Post
    I still feel like I'm missing the point......HOW are these agencies possibly going to be sustainable? They will surely have to finance themselves through either extra fees from parents (and surely there will be plenty of parents happy to do a little bit of leg work themselves rather than pay someone else to do it?) or, more likely, take a fee/cut of the hourly rate from childminders. Most childminders don't make a particularly spectacular living as it is and I know I for one would struggle to make it worth my while to carry on if I had to add agency fees to my loooong list of expenses. Granted I'll have to pay a higher fee for my ofsted inspection in order to stay independent but I'm guessing the agency fee will be considerably higher. It just seems so ill conceived I feel like I'm missing a vital piece of information as to how its all going to work!
    The trials at the moment are only 'concentrating' on future possible models...business or otherwise.....not clear what the 'otherwise' would be but I have an idea that it may involve schools from what I read ....while the others will be business and therefore charge for the services they provide to cms and parents alike: registering, matching, home visits, providing paperwork and support, claiming funding and offer training etc etc

They have no cms as members yet only volunteers and putting together a package for quality to support cms who join
    At the end of the trials in March an 'independent' body' ...no one knows who they are and who are they independent of ...will evaluate the trials in April...I think the results will be published in May
    From then on the agencies have until Sept to set up a business plan with the inspection framework being in place by then too and the new EYFS in place as well

In the meantime Ofsted are looking at ideas on how to inspect agencies...hence the consultation
    This has been well co-ordinated by Truss, DfE and Ofsted....I think that is very obvious

Agencies...or some of them will need staff to carry out visits, face to face support and acquire training packages for cms
    That will be reflected in the fee they charge cms and parents and yes they have to finance themselves as this has been made clear by Truss...no money for them...although I wonder if any will be found in the end ?

An agency is a middleman or broker...like those who administer c/vouchers and therefore will need to make a profit to pay their staff

So until there are clear figures out it is best to stay out of them...only @Home Childcare have published figures so far
    As I said before watch out for LAs to suddenly come out with a package for cms...they have the expertise and many CMs have called for the support to remain at LA level

Not too long until we find out more

Forgot to add that agencies will also need to wait to be told how much an inspection will cost them before including that in their cost
    Last edited by Simona; 14-03-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Well it appears that the passing of agencies in to law is just that....a NEWSFLASH!
    After the rivers of words and the million of questions?

There has been little reaction anywhere...apart from the few comments here...where is everyone?
    is there another place where people are venting their anger?
    do share
    the reason I havent replied is unfortunately I had a feeling it would go through no matter what. Yes I have fought the corner for independence but could see how underhanded ignoramus Truss was going to be.

I will not sign up but am not surprised in the slightest.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not getting worried yet, my LEA are very good, they may or may not become a agency, and if they do I may or may not sign up.

My feelings are;

Yes I like being independent, and I feel confident and in control to maintain my outstanding grade, however, I know not all CMs are. The agencies will be amazing for those CMs.

I'm not worried about loosing business because I live in a very popular area, and there are not enough childcare options as it is.

Also I was originally against the 4under5s, but have recently discovered, to my delight, that I was wrong, and so I am very open to the fact that agencies may also not be as bad as we first thought.

HOWEVER, I also worry that there will be a financial strain on LEAs which will force them into becoming agencies, and in turn, those who are not signed up to agencies, will incur extra costs. What about our insurance, registration fees and so on? But for now, there is no point worrying, I certainly won't be ending my business because of it!

Good luck everyone! Xx

Simona Guest

You may be interested to know that Truss was tweeting happily last night and a few cms were involved in the exchange

This what she was saying: hi - I have had a series of meetings with childminders and keen to do more. No changes for new/existing independent childminders

I tweeted back to her :Don't think you realise what you have done to #CMs No change for #indycms? That is not how we see it Unblock us

Well it may not surprise you that the tweets have been...again....deleted from her account and the blocking remains well in place
    I get confused by this woman...does she want to engage or not? or is it with just the 'chosen' ones who agree with her? but then I don't know any IC who agree with her anyway

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry but I have to vent my feelings on this woman, why should I support someone who is not only ignorant, ill mannered and only wants her way and that way is the only right way, but more than anything else why should I support a person who found it necessary to have an affair with someone in her early career so that she could get her own way and progress up the ladder, she is not someone to be trusted and thought it fine to destroy another marriage to boost her career.
    All this was on Wikipedia.

Teacake2

Post Thanks / Like

Feel it's a very sad day for childminding as think agencies will lower standards for children if individual childminders are not inspected. I remember and worked through the days prior inspection and it was not good. Will fight to the end to stay independent !!

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hector were you at the conference in Taunton yesterday? they're still not giving out much info on agencies at all are they?

13. Likes hectors house liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by watgem View Post
    Hector were you at the conference in Taunton yesterday? they're still not giving out much info on agencies at all are they?
    Yes it was me who who asked everyone in the room to put their hands up if they would be joining an Agency - and when no-one did, Lorraine Davey said it was unfair to put people on the spot - errr no, that was the response - no-one will be joining an Agency!

What workshops did you do, I did the "It's not just baby talk" with Penny Tassoni and then the Outdoor Play one - I did wonder if you were there - I did say to another childminder that I forgotten to contact you before the conference to arrange to meet up, she said "We can look at everyones badges, whats her name" - I said "I only know her as Watgem" we were rebels and wrote "Frome Independent Childminders" on our badges!

15. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Luckily the LA i live in isnt trialing agencies and they dont want them.

Im clinging to hope. I worked for 4children in childrens centres which last i heard they lost lots.of tendars last time round...so what do they do next? Try something new! And.probably fluff up at some point. So. Im just hoping as i know 4children are fab at inspiring.new.ideas.and good.on paper. Not so good practically!

Sooooo....im hoping agencies.just go.wrong and people moan about them sooooooo they end.up going before they begin

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Yes it was me who who asked everyone in the room to put their hands up if they would be joining an Agency - and when no-one did, Lorraine Davey said it was unfair to put people on the spot - errr no, that was the response - no-one will be joining an Agency!

What workshops did you do, I did the "It's not just baby talk" with someone Tassoni and then the Outdoor Play one - I did wonder if you were there - I did say to another childminder that I forgotten to contact you before the conference to arrange to meet up, she said "We can look at everyones badges, whats her name" - I said "I only know her as Watgem" we were rebels and wrote "Frome Independent Childminders" on our badges!
    HH....Would that be Penny Tassoni...president of Pacey?

I do not think that any savvy Cm would join an agency without knowing first what they are joining...who runs the agency...the quality of the staff ...the package on offer to them...the cost of the membership...and much more including how agency will be able to provide them with work and match them to the family from heaven?
    I also hope parents will be weary of this very vague promise
    What we do not have is any info on the 'conditions' put on cms to join the trials?

Some cms have decided they will join even before the C&F Act has come out or Her Majesty signature dried on paper but there is always time to withdraw, I also feel these cms have decided possibly out of frustration at the current reforms, ever increasing paperwork, mystery and constant changes
    I also believe that a cm can join and then come out of an agency...at the moment that is....we need to see that in black and white and what conditions the agencies impose to withdraw from their membership

Truss has gone through a lot of pain to stress current established Cms do not have to join because agencies are for new cms and to attract high calibre people...even then only if they wish to join as it is not compulsory to do so for a new cm...that will have to be seen depending on the LAs and what happens to them in the new Childcare Act?

Watgem...many keep saying that we do not have a lot of info on agencies....agencies are self funding so the govt has limited its scope there...there is information out there
    You may remember when Truss was asked about the 20 trials...she said she was unable to give info because the 20 had asked for confidentiality...there is the answer

I have been saying all along...watch the LAs ...that is where all will evolve but I also think we need to put our efforts in supporting our associations and being proactive in them...that is where we will have to build our support in future

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    HH....Would that be someone Tassoni...president of Pacey?

I do not think that any savvy Cm would join an agency without knowing first what they are joining...who runs the agency...the quality of the staff ...the package on offer to them...the cost of the membership...and much more including how agency will be able to provide them with work and match them to the family from heaven?
    I also hope parents will be weary of this very vague promise
    What we do not have is any info on the 'conditions' put on cms to join the trials?

Some cms have decided they will join even before the C&F Act has come out or Her Majesty signature dried on paper but there is always time to withdraw, I also feel these cms have decided possibly out of frustration at the current reforms, ever increasing paperwork, mystery and constant changes
    I also believe that a cm can join and then come out of an agency...at the moment that is....we need to see that in black and white and what conditions the agencies impose to withdraw from their membership

Truss has gone through a lot of pain to stress current established Cms do not have to join because agencies are for new cms and to attract high calibre people...even then only if they wish to join as it is not compulsory to do so for a new cm...that will have to be seen depending on the LAs and what happens to them in the new Childcare Act?

Watgem...many keep saying that we do not have a lot of info on agencies....agencies are self funding so the govt has limited its scope there...there is information out there
    You may remember when Truss was asked about the 20 trials...she said she was unable to give info because the 20 had asked for confidentiality...there is the answer

I have been saying all along...watch the LAs ...that is where all will evolve but I also think we need to put our efforts in supporting our associations and being proactive in them...that is where we will have to build our support in future
    Yes it was Penny Tassoni - I don't know why I put "someone" I knew her name, I must have been going to write something else and got side tracked Sorry Penny Tassoni, author of many child development books and president of PACEY!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12