Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Publication of consultation about agencies

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised by this bit:

Longfield added that measuring support is important because childminder agencies have been particularly popular in areas that have seen a reduction in local authority assistance for childminders.

I didn't know agencies had been particularly popular anywhere

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I was also surprised by that!

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Purnima Tanuku, chief executive of the National Day Nurseries Association, said: “Creating agencies will mean childminders are effectively taken out of direct regulation by Ofsted. “Parents must be aware that the individual childminders are not inspected by Ofsted and agency bodies have to be competent and qualified to carry out the necessary checks.”

'Errr, since when will individual childminders NOT be inspected by Ofsted??!!

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Think she probably means individual childminders in agencies won't be inspected, although we know some may be

6. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Think she probably means individual childminders in agencies won't be inspected, although we know some may be
    Ah, thanks. Yes I've re read it again and it was me - tired and bog eyed

Simona Guest

WOW....I am rather puzzled as to why this thread has only received 5 replies and so very few views? where is everyone?
    There is an additional one in the Ofsted section but with little input so far

Where are all the CMs that were so very concerned about agencies and eager for the consultation to come out?
    It is out now .....where is the reaction?
    Does anyone have any initial reaction? any views? if you have already responded would you input your views to help those who are unsure?

Ofsted | Inspecting childminder agencies: consultation document

Will anyone give their views after careful consideration of the questions posed?...I am aware it has only just come out but and it closes on 21 March but no opinions so far?

I am also aware that the questions are all 'closed' and designed to give Ofsted the response they want....do they actually need it as they are pushing agencies relentlessly even though they are not even in 'existence'...their word in the very consultation.....they don't know which model to inspect and there is no feedback on the trials?

Can Ofsted build an inspection framework for agencies that are not operational or exist as yet and whose membership is unknown?

Maybe we are tired of consultations and know nothing will change?...don't blame anyone for feeling that but that is where this govt has drawn strength throughout their reforms...from the poor response to all consultations
    This is the last of the series...nothing else needs to be consulted upon...in fact the DfE has recently taken decisions without even one question to the EY sector...see 2 year olds in schools...did they ask us what we felt about it? could we help?

I am also puzzled by the muted response from the rest of the sector
    By the fact that of the 4 associations who represent CMs only Pacey so far has responded...in fact their response was so quick it made me feel they knew the consultation was coming out anyway...but where are the others?

Pacey has stated they will respond on behalf of their members...but has encouraged CMs to respond independently too...should they not respond on behalf on the whole Childminding sector rather than just their members?

That's puzzling too because recently we have heard and read a lot that they are working together...they have met...there was supposed to be a joint letter ...has it happened?

Pacey has also recently decided to support the DfE in building a robust agency inspection framework to ensure quality for all the children in the care of agency CMs ...if so they are involved and the quick statement is no surprise

I am disappointed at the moment ...I think that is clear....but also concerned that something is not quite right.
    Last edited by Simona; 25-01-2014 at 08:31 AM.

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think everyone is exhausted by the whole thing and the underhandednrss perceived and also the feeling that its a done deal Simona.
    Another long tome to read where our responses are not seriously sought is most likely not very appealing.(just guessing why you haven't had many responses)
    This doesn't change the fact that I'm sure we're still grateful for all the work you and others have put in on our behalf.
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

10. Likes Kiddleywinks, hectors house liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jadavi View Post
    I think everyone is exhausted by the whole thing and the underhandednrss perceived and also the feeling that its a done deal Simona.
    Another long tome to read where our responses are not seriously sought is most likely not very appealing.(just guessing why you haven't had many responses)
    This doesn't change the fact that I'm sure we're still grateful for all the work you and others have put in on our behalf.
    Thank you for your comments...ALL CMs matter in this consultation not just the few who are vocal in pursuing answers
    There is no need to be grateful ...there is a need to act in huge numbers as we did for the ratio issue.

The DfE is very well aware of our frustrations because all is focussed on agencies and no replies for independent CMs...but that is what they are hoping to achieve: saturation that leads to being passive or saying 'it is a done deal'

Yes we are exhausted and this consultation has been kept last but it is the MOST important for CMs...all I am trying to do raise some enthusiasm...I am sure we will find it somewhere....if we don't respond the big charities will and they want agencies
    Lets not give up

12. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a family member who works for an education union and they know everything before us and are usually part of the pre consultation process...... so Pacey will be in the same situation, hence their quick reply, their lobbyists will have been writing their reply earlier this week probably.

I think this forum plays an important part in being there as a community, supporting each other, signposting best practise advising in areas they have experience in, and just as somewhere where you can read about other people's thoughts on this profession. It is also brilliant for highlighting the governing and legal issues that are current, which I appreciate because I love knowing about political aspects of everything and I have learn't over the years the importance of keeping up to date in the current thinking in your profession. But I do have time now to react quickly to things and I can prioritise ( so much so that DH is currently ironing whilst I write). It isn't as easy when you are juggling young children, home, extended family and working- the political agenda isn't always a priority even though you know it is important, so is spending time with your family or switching off and reading a novel.

So if only a few people post about current affairs that is still good as it is highlighting the bits that affect us ..which some people will browse about later.

I sort of rely on you Simona to signpost me to articles as you seem to know the websites that write fair comments about things, so it must be really frustrating not to get feedback....I will try to improve!

14. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Simona Guest

My apologies Flora Dora...I was suffering form a bout of frustration last night and this morning it all came out
    I think Sarah 707 felt the same a while back when she was really down due to lack of response for us ICMs when all is about the flipping agencies
    She was prompted to write a letter while I wrote one too due to be published next month.

I have various concerns at the moment around 'politics' but won't bore you with them...all I wanted to do was to reawaken our opposition to agencies and staying vocal and making sure we respond properly to that consultation

my main source of info is twitter as there is a very close EY community and we know each other well...that is also where I pick up most of the newspaper articles and NWorld and much more

I noticed that for the ratios issue and 2 year olds in school their response was quite formidable but...when it comes to the agency consultation not much is said...so we need to push it to avoid the 'I agree' tick box

Sorry again if my frustration came out the wrong way...if you know what I mean!

16. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    My apologies Flora Dora...I was suffering form a bout of frustration last night and this morning it all came out
    I think Sarah 707 felt the same a while back when she was really down due to lack of response for us ICMs when all is about the flipping agencies
    She was prompted to write a letter while I wrote one too due to be published next month.

I have various concerns at the moment around 'politics' but won't bore you with them...all I wanted to do was to reawaken our opposition to agencies and staying vocal and making sure we respond properly to that consultation

my main source of info is twitter as there is a very close EY community and we know each other well...that is also where I pick up most of the newspaper articles and NWorld and much more

I noticed that for the ratios issue and 2 year olds in school their response was quite formidable but...when it comes to the agency consultation not much is said...so we need to push it to avoid the 'I agree' tick box

Sorry again if my frustration came out the wrong way...if you know what I mean!
    Absolutely no need to apologise, I was trying to say I understand how you feel....but It came out the wrong way....!
    I didn't mean to make you feel like you need to apologise!

I need to get a handle on twitter!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was at a childminder conference today .. With about 60 plus childminders ... This consultation was publicised as well as everyone being told not to say agree and then to put comments in commentbox. Lots left saying they were going to do it and would tell childminding colleagues.

Simona Guest

Thanks Lucy...great feedback

Looking at the consultation I have not found anything to do with Safeguarding children cared for by an agency CM nor any questions on how the agency has a duty to safeguard children
    What happens if there are concerns about a CM?
    who are those concern referred to: the agency or Ofsted?

If a CM has an allegation made against her...what is the procedure for an agency to investigate/ ...do they have adequate training to deal with that?
    Ofsted will of course investigate but the CMs are not directly registered with them...so what happens next?

I have lots of scenarios in my head but no clear answers...safeguarding was, from the start our main concern about agencies, but so far I cannot find one proposal that deals with this

Simona Guest

This morning I reported my concerns about the questions in the agency consultation to my association...they will offer guidance

Please take your time to respond and look carefully at each question
    Even Q6 is not as straightforward as it seems