Another AGENCIES update...please read!! (26 Nov)
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default Another AGENCIES update...please read!! (26 Nov)

This is on the Foundation Years website...does it really tell us anymore...do not miss the bit that says 'they will attract more talented people in the profession'!!

Childminder Information | Foundation Years

Childminder agencies

What are childminder agencies

Childminder agencies are a new way to provide access to high quality home based childcare. They will help tackle the worrying trend that has seen the number of childminders falling dramatically in the last twenty years and encourage more talented people to enter the profession. The Government wants to see an expansion in the numbers of independent childminders and, in due course, those working with agencies. It will be entirely voluntary for childminders to join agencies and for parents to use them.

Why are they different and what are they aiming to achieve

Childminders are an important and valued part of the UK´s childcare offer. Many parents find the flexibility and approach offered by childminders a reassuring service in its own right and as a complement to nursery care. Agencies are, therefore, good news for parents as they will improve parental access to a choice of home based childcare with added peace of mind their carer is high quality and well supported.

Who is delivering childminding agencies

Government wants to encourage lots of organisations to take up the opportunity of delivering childminder agencies – from schools and children’s centres, to private businesses including nanny agencies and nurseries, and local childminder networks. The first agencies are expected to be able to register and be inspected by Ofsted from September 2014, subject to the passage of legislation.

I hear there are trials being run

Yes, that’s right. There are a number of organisations trialling the approach over the next few months throughout England. Further information can be found on the Government website.

What are the trials looking at

The trials are testing out:
    •how agencies can be set up by different organisations;
    •how agencies will recruit and work with childminders;
    •how agencies plan to deal with training, suitability and accountability of childminders;
    •different agency business models and which models are likely to be most effective;
    •how agencies might make the most of different funding streams, including the new childcare voucher system;
    •how agencies might work with Ofsted; and
    •how agencies might work as a part of a community childcare facility, linking with other organisations and working with parents.

Timescale for the trials

The trials are now operating. No end point for the trials is being set by Government. It will be for the trial participants to decide this themselves, in the context of the passage of the legislation around agencies currently before Parliament.

What help is available during the trials

4Children is the DfE’s strategic partner for early years and childcare and is the main point of contact for organisations throughout the trials. They will:
    •establish communication routes for the trial organisations to network
    •create a library of documents on the site that can help
    •provide business development support and challenge by phone or through a visit
    •help join up work with Ofsted and across the sector
    •share learning with others

View case studies from the trials

Download the Frequently Asked Questions

Registered Childminder since
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Simona I would agree that there is nothing there that they haven't already said in fact it sounds more like marketing blurb than anything else to me. In terms of attracting more talented people to the profession I am unclear on what basis they think this is going to happen frankly - but what do I know.

Sam x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They are just trying to make it sound like a more inviting prospect

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    They are just trying to make it sound like a more inviting prospect
    who are they trying to kid?
    I find it insulting and honestly I think these 'businesses' have few takers at the moment
    Sarah...please go and read the latest comment on the LinkedIn group...we can then discuss...action needed I think!

On the website there is a page for 'case trials'...if you click there is not one comment as yet! should we start putting our 'independent' opinions there?
    Child Minders | Foundation Years
    Last edited by Simona; 26-11-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

A " new way to provide access" ??? Should that not read an ALTERNATIVE way?

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Simona Guest

I have contacted 4Children this morning who are the DfE strategic partner for agencies and also manage the Foundation Years website.

I have raised my huge concerns at the 'selling tactics' used to advertise agencies, the disrespectful way CMs are treated and much more.

Please call them and put your concerns to them
    020 7512 2112 and speak to the dept involved in the website info sharing

I have also raised my concerns with my representing association

Unless we speak up we are not going to be heard.

I want to stress again that:
    agencies are being 'trialled' at the moment, they cannot implement anything until they have a structure or package in place
    they will only become legal and up and running in Sept 2014
    We have no concrete evidence of what they will offer us
    We know nothing of their charges
    we cannot believe what they tell us because they tell us nothing
    we do not have to join anything now 'unless' CMs are happy with what is on offer (nothing really at present)
    we, independent CMs, should be equally treated and considered and not wait until the agencies are sorted
    we need answers to many questions such as our registration fee, IF, that is to be reviewed...if not then stop this stressful situation
    we should have no barriers put in our way to continue being sustainable
    when agencies are up and running then, and only then, will CMs be able to make an informed choice about joining one.

I hope this helps CMs to be reassured there is no need to join anything yet or feel pressured to do so...because agencies are to be 'voluntary' if we believe the selling tactic!

Please stay positive and avoid any stress by joining something that honestly does not exist yet!

I know that CMs are telling of their concerns on FB but not anywhere else...FB is a private forum while this is a public one and many will be worried their comments can be identified
    I don't know what the answer is to that but we cannot stay quiet or let the few CMs speak up for us ...we need to be a collective body raising concerns...few Cms will make little difference!
    Last edited by Simona; 27-11-2013 at 11:11 AM.