Ofsted Big Converstaion...London 11 April 2014 (Feedback)
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default Ofsted Big Converstaion...London 11 April 2014 (Feedback)

This twitter feed will give some ideas on the discussion
    Woman in the picture...in black..is Debbie Jones Director for London
    On her left was Jane Weatherspoon, Ofsted National lead for EYFS
    Hidden was John Kennedy...who I think is part of the QA
    https://storify.com/leyfonline/ofste...sm=sfy.co_pTAS

I asked 2 questions
    1. Why are cms not part of the 'getting good seminars' that have been trialled and do not appear in any future plans?
    Reply: Ofsted intended to focus on nurseries and preschools and cms were not targeted because they focussed on childcare on non domestic premises
    Asked again why.... they said that was their decision
    Asked again why...there was no real answer but concerns raised from cms in attendance at being excluded
    These seminars are run for Requires Improvement providers where they can discuss their action plan with the Inspector in attendance

Read more about the 'getting good seminars' here
    Ofsted | Early years: April 2014

2. Individual interpretations by inspectors about 'variations' in EYFS 2012 and EYFS 2014
    why are inspectors interpreting the variations differently and why are some cms being downgraded for continuity of care?
    Why are inspectors saying there is no such thing as 4 under 5s?
    Why has overlap not been dealt with?
    Why is the ratio for cms in 3 paragraphs compared to pages and pages for others?

It was acknowledged by Jane Weatherspoon that it will be part of the training for inspectors

Other topics
    Compensation for providers was raised
    Ofsted are devising a 'Regulator's Code'
    Neil Leitch reported that 86% of complaints are from parents who owe money to settings
    Inspection reports should be ready within 15 days...why are they taking up to 4 months?
    When appeals are in progress reports should not be published
    Need for properly trained inspectors
    What is Oftsed expecting of us when looking at teaching
    The Ofsted panel asked if there was any 'positive' feedback...a handful were reported
    They also asked if anyone is having problems with the Token/SEF access

Some suggested Ofsted need to look at their 'clunky' website and portal
    I suggested simplifying the SEF and use of it especially when you save and the script goes back to the beginning

There was lots more but this is a summary for you.

I forgot to add that Ofsted replied that the EYFS is written by the DfE...our response was that inspectors are the ones who interpret it...that is probably why better training must be the focus

I did get the impression that Ofsted need to have problems reported to them so they can act...so we must try to do so more often
    Last edited by Simona; 11-04-2014 at 04:13 PM.

2. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Simona. Very informative.

I was reading about the seminars this morning as I hadn't heard of them before. Very disappointing that they single childminders out for criticism, but don't want to do anything to help them. I guess they're hoping the agencies will take over that role

A bit disappointing that they couldn't give any answers on ratios & variations either. If it's going to be part of training for inspectors, does that mean it isn't now?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Thank you Simona. Very informative.

I was reading about the seminars this morning as I hadn't heard of them before. Very disappointing that they single childminders out for criticism, but don't want to do anything to help them. I guess they're hoping the agencies will take over that role

A bit disappointing that they couldn't give any answers on ratios & variations either. If it's going to be part of training for inspectors, does that mean it isn't now?
    I have edited the original post because Ofsted did reply the EYFS is written by the DfE...but our concerns were raised against individual interpretations and different judgements

Worth writing to the DfE maybe
    I did ask why neither continuity of care or new business were mentioned...lets hope it gets reported to HQ and we get an answer next time

Yes ...very dodgy how they evaded the questions even after 3 'WHY' and when I asked where are RI cms to go for support?
    These seminars are run with the LAs and Ofsted said they will not take over their role...confused?
    We must keep our eyes and ears open when they start running properly and raise concerns then if we are still excluded