Upstart! Raising the school starting age
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Hollyhock Guest

Default Upstart! Raising the school starting age

Hello,
    This is a brilliant campaign by Sue Palmer & team (Save Childhood Movement) - absolutely brilliant. Anyone out there with experience in campaigning?
    Home - Upstart

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is similar to the Foundation Phase in Wales for ages 3-7 which is based on kindergarten and I love. My daughter is the first year (apart from pilots) to go through from 3 year and is now 13 and n secondary and doing well in spite of dyslexia.

The local school has no desks and chairs in the infants. They spend a lot of time out and about in the village, popping to the shops to buy things, visiting the church and chapel even just walking. Formal learning starts in year 3. They work in small groups about 8 children to 1 adult (although cutbacks are increasing the ratio ) They work in mixed age groups. they learn through play, they explore, experiment and do rather than being taught. They did stop comparing to other UK schools because the children looked like they were falling behind and failing so they now compare with other schools in Wales only. Ours is also a Welsh language school where they do not have any lessons delivered in English until they reach juniors.

I have been following the Upstart campaign on facebook because I agree totally

3. Likes blue bear liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks interesting. I've bookmarked it to read for later.