Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ofsted Big Conversation Leeds feedback

Have posted this elsewhere as a reply to another thread but then occurred to me that made it a bit impossible to find, so sorry for repetition!

Went to Leeds BigConvo Friday night & a great atmosphere I thought - representation from across the sector & PACEY & LA as well. Sure others on here were there too so if you want to add/correct please do! Main points as follows...

1. Consistently through every question the need for more transparency from Ofsted regarding requirements judgements & process.

2. We need a straightforward document that shows the process for inspection to which settings can refer as well. At the moment for example a setting can be downgraded to failing eg for having access using steps, & there is no means of querying that as a fair parameter for that judgement. Far too often bizarre judgements are made & without a simple common document between inspectors & providers they are difficult to query or discuss.

3. If Ofsted are to have any credibility as a regulatory authority they must be seen to be independant of government & to be honest at the moment they are not.

4. Regulation & Improvement are not really compatible roles - at least not under the current structure with 5-yearly inspection visits the only contact. Who is going to admit they feel they need support or are uncertain in an area of practice at a grading inspection???

5. QA - if an inspection is deemed so problematic that the grading given is changed by QA then a re-inspection should be triggered & the pre-inspection grading should stand meanwhile.

6. Ofsted itself needs external regulation

7. ALL INSPECTORS SHOULD HAVE WORKING EXPERIENCE ACROSS THEIR SECTOR. Too often settings are being assessed by inspectors who have little idea what good practice in Early Years should look like. It should be part of the training that placements are provided in every type of setting that inspector will assess.

8. Communication. There just is far too little coming from Ofsted - regular meetings with LAs & representative bodies should be restored where they have lapsed

9. Complaint-triggered inspections going back 10 years? When Ofsted themselves advise that paperwork can be destroyed after 6?

10. There is a complete lack of confidence in the appeals procedure & again, no clarity from Ofsted.

Pretty much it I think!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Smartbear.

Let's hope Ofsted starts listening.

June 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Would be good to hear reports from the other meetings? I know conclusions will be published but would be good to get the POV from anyone on the forum who took part?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have a nosey round this section of the forum - I put them all in here this morning to keep them together

Thank you for the feedback

5. Likes smartbear liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smartbear View Post
    Would be good to hear reports from the other meetings? I know conclusions will be published but would be good to get the POV from anyone on the forum who took part?
    London is the one that has officially responded to the 7 questions...June O'Sullivan has responded in her blog which is in the other thread.
    Some of the suggestions from London I feel were very good
    The rest of the feedback will follow as it was part of the whole thing to collate all the info and then move to the next stage.

Truss was also questioned on inspections by Sharon Hodgson MP and has referred the matter to Ofsted and PLA have asked for FOI on the results of downgrading...so slowly but surely we will get there...
    from what I read in LinkedIn no one is in the mood to give up!!