Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Message for Government - childminder agencies

UKCMA have asked for us all to share our thoughts about childminders, agencies and the future of childminding.

You can do this via their website.

Here are my thoughts - written with input from Childminding Forum members and colleagues throughout the country.

I encourage you all to contact them so they can take our comments to Govt on our behalf

As you all know, I have worked closely with colleagues throughout the last year and joined them in arguing strongly against childminder agencies since the idea was first introduced. The Childminding Forum, on which I am a moderator, was instrumental in supporting a petition against the deregulation of childminders and we were delighted when the ‘More Great Childcare’ plan stated that established childminders would not be required to join them!

This year, as well as lobbying against ratios changes, I wrote a response document to the ‘More Great Childcare’ plan which was published and sent to the Government by the Childminding Forum on behalf of all its members who contributed towards its contents - www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/mgc. The response document advised ministers of the many problems which would be caused by agencies ... most of which we are now seeing ... we hate to say ‘we told you so’ Ms Truss but...

The Childminding Forum has stated on a number of well publicised occasions that it does not agree with agencies - and that it is working very hard to support all childminder members to ensure they have the knowledge and information they need to remain independent. I could not belong to it and continue in my role as a moderator if we did not agree on such an important subject. We have introduced a new Independent Childminders website, a new Independent Childminders section on the forum and a new Independent Childminders Facebook group - all freely available for use by all childminders.

Over recent months my thoughts have turned to considering what childminders might want the Government to do instead of agencies and I have talked to a lot of my childminding colleagues on this subject. It is all well and good saying you don’t agree with something but, as my ex-boss used to say, ‘Bring me a solution Sarah, not a problem’.

My solution to the childcare crisis created by this Government - and the solution of many of the childminders with whom I regularly speak - is as follows -
    • Give Local Authorities a clear, consistent, enhanced remit to support and monitor childminders - consistency and clear expectations are what we all need so we can do our jobs properly;
    • Give LAs the budget to do their jobs properly and to provide good quality training for ALL childminders because this will drive up quality;
    • Trust LAs to know their local areas and to decide which areas need more childminders and to determine local capacity;
    • Put LAs in charge of visiting childminders at least annually to assess their suitability - with extra support available as required;
    • Be totally clear about expectations - what do you want childminders to do? Do take away the uncertainty caused by inspectors who look for different things;
    • Give Ofsted the role of final arbiter - to get involved when the LA cannot resolve issues or has serious concerns at a local level.

One of my main worries about agencies and our future, despite personally valuing my individual Ofsted inspection and grade, is that a lot of childminders will join agencies simply to avoid the ‘dreaded’ Ofsted inspection.

Take this concern away and the many, many childminders to whom I have spoken tell me that the Government will have happy, well managed and supported, highly trained childminders delivering first class care and learning to children of all ages in the home-from-home environments so desperately needed by children and so highly valued by parents.

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to comment.

Simona Guest

The UKCMA's has just tweeted that their meeting with government is on Wednesday 26 June
    On that day it is also the final C&F Bill evidence before it moves to the Lords... (I have it in my diary)
    Pacey are due to give evidence with ***** ...maybe that is where UKCMA are giving evidence?

If I get the time and link will post it for those interested in following the debate but I assume it will be Live on Parliament TV

Wednesday is also the day the Spending Review is announced

UKCMA recently met with Ministers but there was no feedback on what the outcome was... does anyone know? I did ask but got no reply

Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Simona, hope you are well?

I am worried about the free entitlement funding for 3 and 4 years being cut again in the spending review. its already well below my hourly rate. I know there are other threads that mention this so will keep an eye out. Again something that we need to plan for Sept and not much notice. My term time only funded children finish soon for summer hols and would like to plan ahead for finances for autumn term now really!

Simona Guest

Wednesday is the day the Spending Review is announced...so until then we do not know but we have heard Osborne say EY will have to take a cut

Fears over childcare as Osborne warns of cuts to education - Telegraph

At present the 2 yo funding is much higher but there is a worry it will drop to the 3 and 4 funding level...which we know is much lower

Also in 2015 LAs will only be paid if they deliver the funded places under the 'use it or lose it' programme

This article explains the situation

Childcare providers raise concerns over future funding of two-year-old scheme | Nursery World

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We'd ray is certainly going to be a key day however, with so much potential information things could be lost or buried but perhaps that's the idea!

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry iPad keyboard has a mind of its own! I meant to say Wednesday!