Cms deemed key to 2 year old offer
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default Cms deemed key to 2 year old offer

Hope this statement puts an end to the LAs pretence that they need further confirmation from the DfE...they have it now!!

If your LA is still unsure send them this article...another small victory for cms ???

Childminders deemed key to two-year-old offer | Children & Young People Now

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Hope this statement puts an end to the LAs pretence that they need further confirmation from the DfE...they have it now!!

If your LA is still unsure send them this article...another small victory for cms ???

Childminders deemed key to two-year-old offer | Children & Young People Now
    Im following all of this information about 2 year old funding with interest, as i am getting a visit on Monday from my DO so that i can become 'accrediated' to offer it. I have been assured that the paperwork that has to get completed at these first few visits is exactly what the local nurseries also have to do, but at this moment in time i am not too sure how correct that information is. Aparently all local nurseries get a RAG status from the LA and that is all they now wish to do with childminders, we no longer need to be on the network. I did point out that MGC is wishing to take away this extra checking role, but all my LA would say is until it is offically released than they will continue with their RAG checking.

Do nurseries in other areas just automatically get to offer the funding, or do they have to go through some sort of check first with LA's?

The only thing that is missing from all of this is a solid statement/regulation that sets out for all to read and see that childminders can offer 2 year old funding based on their Ofsted grade, and with the same LA criteria as Nurseries.

Simona Guest

My understanding is that nurseries and preschools automatically draw the funding...if satisfactory they get support as LAs have to offer that to improve practice
    Those providers do not need to belong to any network...do correct me if I am wrong

For cms the Network is the vehicle to become Accredited, an additional process and also some kind of quality assurance
    Unless cms belong to a network and are accredited, up to now, they have been unable to draw the funding for 3 and 4 years olds
    To belong you have to comply with all conditions and additional paperwork required, often this is a duplication of what you already show Ofsted and that is what Truss wants removed and I agree with her on that point...for instance my LA requires an additional Risk Assessment devised by them which is a duplication of what I already have and also not compatible with my setting

Truss and the DfE need spaces for 2 year olds so they have asked LAs to include Non Network good/o's cms in the scheme
    In areas of acute shortage LAs can include also satisfactory cms, possibly with additional conditions, but those will not in future be able to get the funding because satisfactory will become 'requires improvement' from September and that will include cms...

What is not clear so far is that once cms draw the funding for 2 year olds that should automatically entitle them to also draw it for 3 and 4 year olds?
    Having said all that...LAs do vary and therefore each one will do as it wants but the message for 2 year olds is now clear

What is not clear is the future of networks...will they stay or go if LAs role is changed?
    Frankly with just over 2 months to go for the scheme to start I wish they would all agree and get on with it now as it would help our planning!

In the article it says that parents do not understand or want to use a cm... this is uncomfortable to hear and this is where we need to now advertise our services, practice, expertise and promote our practice much more.

At all the conferences I have heard over and over again that cms are best suited for young children and especially for some vulnerable 2 year olds...experts have praised us but we need to spread that message to parents
    Last edited by Simona; 13-06-2013 at 04:20 PM.