Another conference...look at the agenda !
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default Another conference...look at the agenda !

I will be attending the 3rd conference in the space of 7 days to pick up more info on childcare reforms..
    This one is organized by the Westminster Forum and chaired by Sharon Hodgson (I hope I get a chance to ask about agencies)

Take a look at the agenda...seems all aspects of MGC are to be discussed and do not miss the section at 10.20...does it point to 'DEREGULATION'?
    The tone of the agenda is all about 'HOW can the govt' (don't they know?)... Glad to see pacey will be there...I feel a million questions coming on

Westminster Education Forum Keynote Seminar: The future for Early Years and childcare
    Timing: Morning, Thursday, 13th June 2013
    Venue: Banqueting Hall, Glaziers Hall, 9 Montague Close, London SE1 9DD
    Draft agenda subject to change
    8.30 ‐ 9.00 Registration and coffee
    9.00 ‐ 9.05 Chairman’s opening remarks

Sharon Hodgson MP, Shadow Minister for Children and Families
    9.05 ‐ 9.30 Delivering the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) ‐ examples of best practice

Linda McLarty HMI, Ofsted
    Questions and comments from the floor

9.30 ‐ 10.20 Quality of Early Years provision ‐ the regulatory system and the impact of the first year of the new EYFS
    Have the reformed EYFS and subsequent new Ofsted inspection framework significantly reduced bureaucracy for Early Years practitioners as intended? Have initial Ofsted inspections shown the new EYFS to have had a discernable impact on the quality of provision?
    Following its first academic year in place, how well does the new EYFS prepare children for the transition to primary
    education? Should private sector providers be able to opt‐out of the EYFS, as has been allowed since November 2012? What will be the likely impact of the removal of the requirement for local authorities to regulate Early Years settings, and how will the new Ofsted framework measure quality of provision? Will the use of HMIs in Early Years improve the quality and consistency of Early Years inspections?
    What steps can Government, Ofsted and the sector take to tackle regional disparities in quality of Early Years provision ‐
    particularly poor quality provision in areas of social deprivation? How can Sure Start Centres effectively identify and target the families most in need, as required by Government?
    Dr Jane O’Brien, Director, Children and Young People’s Team, Nat Cen Social Research
    Dr Martin Bradley, National Chairman, Montessori Schools Association and Lead Early Years Inspector, School
    Inspection Service
    Corinna Marvin, Nursery Manager, Cedars Neighbourhood Nursery, Sure Start Children’s Centre, Exeter, managed by
    Action for Children
    Caroline Sharp, Research Director, National Foundation for Educational Research
    Headteacher, primary school

10.20 ‐ 11.10 Reforming the childcare profession
    Will the introduction of Early Years Teacher status and Early Years Educators help raise the profile of the Early Years profession? What components should new Level 3 Early Years qualifications ‐ leading to Early Years Educator status ‐ include? Will the requirement for all entrants to the profession to have achieved at least C in GCSE English and Maths have an impact on recruitment?
    How can more men be encouraged to enter the Early Years profession? Will the proposed Teach First scheme for the EYFS succeed in encouraging top graduates into the sector?

Are childminder agencies likely to be a popular choice for currently independent childminders, and what
    steps will Government ‐ local and national ‐ need to take to support their successful implementation? Beyond the proposed deregulatory steps regarding Ofsted registration, what could Government do to encourage more schools to provide nursery services?
    Professor Denise Hevey, Professor in Early Years, University of Northampton
    Claire Schofield, Director, Membership, Policy and Communications, National Day Nurseries Association
    Liz Bayram, Joint Chief Executive, PACEY (Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years)
    Ben Thomas, National Officer, Education and Children Services Group, UNISON
    Claire Nuttall, Headteacher, Henry Fawcett Primary School and Children’s Centre, Lambeth

11.10 ‐ 11.15 Chairman’s closing remarks
    Sharon Hodgson MP, Shadow Minister for Children and Families
    11.15 ‐ 11.35 Coffee
    11.35 ‐ 11.40 Chairman’s opening remarks
    Jessica Lee MP, Vice‐Chair, All‐Party Parliamentary Group for Children

11.40 ‐ 12.00 Tax‐free childcare
    Matt Ray, Senior Policy Advisor, HM Treasury

12.00 ‐ 12.55 Funding for childcare and Early Years
    Perspectives on Government’s childcare funding measures that will allow tax‐paying, working families to reclaim 20% of childcare
    costs when spending up to £6,000 per year. What will be the relative impact of these measures on low and middle earning families?
    Are the proposals likely to lead to an increase in parents seeking employment? What are the implications of the Westminster Government’s funding proposals for the delivery of childcare in the devolved administrations of the UK?
    What alternative funding models or reforms could the Government adopt to reduce the cost of childcare? What can be learned from the childcare funding arrangements of other developed nations?
    Would changes to the child‐to‐adult ratios in Early Years help reduce costs? What will be
    the likely cost implications of higher qualification requirements for Early Years practitioners? Are childminder agencies likely to lead to more affordable childcare?
    What role could Sure Start centres play in reducing childcare costs, and what has been the impact of
    removing the ring fence for Sure Start Centres as part of a wider Early Intervention Grant? How effectively is the extension of free early education for disadvantaged two‐year‐olds being delivered?
    Danish Ambassador HE Ms Anne Hedensted Steffensen
    Anand Shukla, Chief Executive, Family & Childcare Trust
    Jo Dalby, Finance Director, Busy Bees Benefits
    Kathy Gyngell, Research Fellow, Centre for Policy Studies
    Alex Hurrell, Senior Analyst, Resolution Foundation
    Marcella McHugh, Head of EYFS & Childcare, Early Intervention and Targeted Children and Young People’s Service,
    London Borough of Lambeth

12.55 ‐ 13.00 Chairman’s and Westminster Education Forum closing remarks
    Jessica Lee MP, Vice‐Chair, All‐Party Parliamentary Group for Children
    Jonny Roberts, Senior Producer, Westminster Education Forum

Registered Childminder since
    Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow thanks so much for attending these conferences and feeding back to us.

I for one really appreciate it!

3. Likes lisbet liked this post
    Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh that is certainly a huge Agenda, it's going to take some getting through with those time limitations!

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Memina View Post
    Wow thanks so much for attending these conferences and feeding back to us.

I for one really appreciate it!
    Here here, thank you

xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You are going to be spinning after that one!

Looking forward to hearing your feedback

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

oooh your head will hurt after all that info. looking forward to feedback
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Simona Guest

Sharon Hodgson will be the chair....hope I get a chance to put some questions on our behalf!!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As others have said.....looking forward to feedback

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have just been contacted by someone on FB whose friend is meeting Ms Truss tomorrow.

I have given the following comments on behalf of childminders - she will pass them on if she gets a chance -

I think the main question for Ms Truss at the moment is - why is she pushing ahead with agencies for childminders when childminders do not want them, parents do not need them and Local Authorities are already in place, mostly supporting childminders and providing excellent training etc.

I understand her thinking - they need more childminders - but LAs can do that as they have been doing for a long time!

I also understand she says that they need to drive up quality - but if they are leaving 60,000 childminders - the vast majority of whom do not want to join agencies - without any support then how will that achieve her aim?

I know Ofsted are saying that childminders are too expensive to individually inspect. Fine - LAs can do it, feeding back to Ofsted and Ofsted can get involved if there are problems, as final decision makers, there to oversee quality and make the most important judgements based on LA advice.

Agencies are going to fail - then what? Surely it's better to accept that now and put better support structures in place for the childminders who are already out there, working with children and apparently vital for offering the 2 year old funding!!

Why abandon us when they say they need us so much?

She has said she will give me feedback

Simona Guest

Exactly what I have written about agencies somewhere but forget where!!!...I agree with your friend

One thing to remember is that those who will pilot agencies from Sept, in just over 2 months time, will have put a lot of money into them (it has been made very clear they will not be funded by the DfE...clever move really!!)...I doubt Truss is going to backtrack now, she has to push with her deluded policy

BUT...I wonder if they are getting worried by the overwhelming message that cms are not interested...
    BUT if, and I say IF, new cms will have no alternative but to join that is where they will make their money...
    look at the agenda...does it not talk about 'deregulation'...you can't deregulate new cms who are not regulated in the first place??? will find out today, hopefully?

It worries me a great deal that the 2 year old scheme is the flagship of this govt (in fact it was Labour's idea) and Truss is doing nothing to ensure the LAs include cms...
    maybe she doesn't care because the army of new cms her agencies will recruit will do the funding for her anyway...after all the praise I don't think she actually cares two figs about cms and uses us as a stick to beat the opposition with by showing concern at how many left the profession under the previous govt

wish they would leave politics out of childcare!...