Labour plans to 'revolutionise childcare'
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default Labour plans to 'revolutionise childcare'

Liam Byrne did announce this at the PLA conference...all the speeches are now coming out, at least they confirm my feedback to you

Labour party reveals plans to 'revolutionise childcare' | Nursery World

Registered Childminder since
    Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol I just read ur title as "labour pains"! - can u tell what's on my mind?!

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol, I read it as labour pains too!
    Toothfairy

Simona Guest

If another childcare revolution is planned I am sure we will all go into labour pains!!!

5. Likes loocyloo, AgentTink, The Juggler liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry but i am getting fed up of this talk of Childcare Revolutions and what other countries do. I do not believe that the whole childcare system needs to be replaced, however this is what revolution implies. What is needed is people in childcare to feel valued in the role they play in young children lives.

Other countries have far more financial help from employers and the state. No government is going to be able to offer financial support, like other countries do, with all the cut backs.

And they want more women back in work, but where are the jobs these women are supposed to be going too??? Just because a women does not work doesnt mean that she isnt an important part of society. She is at home raising her children. Surely the tax from 1 million women if they did return to work wouldnt be that huge as the majority of them would most probably work part time, hence not earning that much money to be taxed on.

At the end of the day childcare costs and all children deserve good quality childcare.

The only thing I do hope is that if Labour are the next government that they stick to their promise of engaging with the very people of this country who provide childcare and find out what is really important when talking about children and the early years..

Sorry for the rant you have caught me in a negative vibe

7. Likes loocyloo, mum26 liked this post
    Simona Guest

I do agree with you on many counts

First who wants another revolution after the mess made by this govt?
    Labour did well with Every Child Matters but it got a bit bureaucratic and the Free Entitlement has remained stagnant at the same rate for many years, it should be index linked

Why should we subsidise some rather well of parents?
    I also do not agree at all that providers need to subsidise childcare...do teachers subsidise education? No and their wages to go up from time to time...saying cms are expensive when some charge as little as £3 is really not on!

If the FE was properly funded instead of looking at agencies, hubs and grants we could be there by now..all these charities that grab funding for whatever projects are going should reject it and ask the govt to put it into the FE instead

Looking at Denmark is the wrong way as their childcare is heavily subsidised by the govt...Labour cannot follow that unless a miracle happens and Byrne states that there will be less money if and when they get back to power in 2015

Daycare Trust have stated that childcare has gone up by 6%...how much has the cost of living and basics gone up to recently?
    They do agree the FE is not enough

I also do not like to see women portrayed as 'tax payers'...some may want to go to work but many find employers inflexible, Labour knows this is a real problem
    What is wrong with mothers staying at home fulfilling their child rearing role for a few years? and as you say where are the jobs?

If we really had a compulsory minimum wage then parents would struggle less...I do agree with introducing the living wage too
    In my areas it has been reported that mothers can earn up to £17 ph...while we get £3.50 to educate kids...something is wrong there

I took part in Liam Byrne's first childcare road show over a year ago, I have input into their CCommission and co-arranged a conference in my area with the Shadow Minister for Children last January...Neil Leitch was on the panel and he said then the FE is a 'con', it was well reported by Nursery World
    Months on we are still looking for a revolution...no what we want is for a review of the money spent, where is it going and increasing the FE would be the first step to stabilise cost!!

I know this is a very simple argument but why not look at what is wrong here rather than look at what other countries dowell..which is obvious: they value early years, invest and pay staff well!

I am now going to write to Liam Byrne with those thoughts...

Labour launched their CCommision months ago and we won't know about it until 2015?
    Labour launches childcare commission | Nursery World
    Last edited by Simona; 10-06-2013 at 04:33 PM.

9. Likes loocyloo, The Juggler, AgentTink liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

very well put Simona, so much more eloquent than my little rant glad im not the only one thinking revolution is not the way forward