Truss names the Task and Finish group developing agencies
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Simona Guest

Default Truss names the Task and Finish group developing agencies

This has been posted elsewhere and I came across it today as well
    It is useful she has told us who they are in case we want to approach them saying we are not really interested?...many are big nursery chains

Child Minding: 3 Jun 2013: Hansard Written Answers and Statements - TheyWorkForYou

Post Thanks / Like

I really hope Northamptonshire Childminding Association are lobbying against agencies and not thinking of becoming one! I know that all of my local Northamptonshire group are against them. We have been wondering for some time about things our DO has been asking/saying (and not saying or answering) I think to be fair to them that it seems they might lose their jobs so are looking for a new career...have some sympathy with them. Don't know what to say really as I have nothing against these individuals only the agency model.

Anni

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would suggest if your local authority or local nursery is on that list, contact them and ask them how they are supporting childminders who want to stay independent!

We are hearing all this rhetoric about agencies - but what about us? What about our future training needs? What about our sustainability?

We need answers now more than ever. if these groups are on the task and finish thingy then they are the ones best placed to get answers for us.

I for one will be emailing at least 2 of the companies on that list because I have had dealings with them in the past - and asking them how they will be supporting us

4. Likes mum26 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Are those groups who are supporting agencies?

Simona Guest

They are the groups 'interested' in setting up and developing agencies (under the watchful eye of Ofsted no less!!) and the title says it all 'Task (agency) finish (developing the idea and bring it to be)

I believe the ******* are only observers and represent cms as an association...but it also says 'individuals' are invited to the group...why , who are they?
    The others are a bit of a worry...why would KidsUnlimited want to be our agency? what do they know about cminding and how can they support, train and monitor our quality and at what cost to us and profit to them?

As Sarah says.... best thing is to email and ask a direct question...nothing to lose by doing so!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It was *******'s inclusion that confused me!

If they are only observers and represent childminders, what an odd choice. After their initial launch I haven't heard a thing about them. I wonder how many childminders they actually represent.

Dec 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Today has been rather busy so to to switch off and relax, I visited all the websites of the members of Task and Finish group and have found the following information so far:

- Independent Childminders Social Enterprise - Government | Independent Childminders Social Enterprise CICIndependent Childminders Social Enterprise CIC

- Association of Nanny Agencies - Childcare, Nanny and Agency News by The Association of Nanny Agencies

- Trio Childcare - http://www.triochildcare.co.uk/latestnews.aspx

- @Home Childcare - Part Time Flexible Childcare in Nottingham and Sheffield, Childcare Jobs, Childcare Training

Nothing else found on all of the other websites so far, so I will try again on the weekend. Hope its useful!

Nina

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was at my local children's centre Advisory Board meeting today. I had just done my prepared speech about how if LA's disappear WE as a CC could support those independent minders with a 'free' agency like support.

To my (not so great) suprise, they told me that the new statutory requirements for children's centres no longer required them to offer provision for Childminders NOR a remit to improve the quality of local childcare

My cc are really good and will continue to offer free drop in for minders and WE hope look at how they can become a "type" of agency without the high charges to minders
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I would suggest if your local authority or local nursery is on that list, contact them and ask them how they are supporting childminders who want to stay independent!

We are hearing all this rhetoric about agencies - but what about us? What about our future training needs? What about our sustainability?

We need answers now more than ever. if these groups are on the task and finish thingy then they are the ones best placed to get answers for us.

I for one will be emailing at least 2 of the companies on that list because I have had dealings with them in the past - and asking them how they will be supporting us
    Sarah, who are the independent childminders social enterprise - do you know any of them?

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I got an email from @homechildcare inviting me to a'childminder choices' event . It went on to say that although they had hoped to schedule it for a Saturday this hadn't been possible , so they were holding it at 430 on a Wednesday , late in the day to allow childminders to attend. If they really have so little insight into a childminders day to think we can finish at 330 to get to an event then there is little hope for them offering training etc accessible to us either is there? I take it they had hardly any response as funnily enough another email rescheduling for 6pm came a week or so later!! Still at least an hour too early for me to go ,. though I would have liked to hear what they had to say if only to report back!

June 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

So there is actually no real CM representation on this list, is that right??

Surely if that's so it needs publicising...

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smartbear View Post
    So there is actually no real CM representation on this list, is that right??

Surely if that's so it needs publicising...
    ******* are there to represent childminders - but I have no idea how many actually belong to their organisation - I've yet to speak to anyone who has joined.

NCMA / pacey were invited but said no because the majority of their members didn't want it.

PLA speak up for childminders when they can - but obviously the vast majority of their membership is pre-schools and nurseries.

It's not good is it?

Simona Guest

I am at the PLA conference to try and find out how they will represent cms
    Pacey refused to be part but my feelings is they could have been observers like ICM....lots to gain from listening

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I don't understand Simona. If ******* are there purely as observers, why couldn't Pacey do that?

But if Pacey aren't involved because it means more than simply being an observer, why are ICM there?

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

So looking at that list, the organisations that have shown interest in becoming agencies for childminders are mainly nurseries, preschool and a nanny agency? Or have I read it wrong...I'm busy and only scanned through.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Simona Guest

I have asked pacey that question many times
    ICM will pick up lots of info for their independent cms....can't blame them
    Somehow it would be good to know what they are developing
    I will ask Neil Leitch as he recognises agencies need to be on our future campaigns

May 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding.
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why they are wasting their time and money on agencies as none of the childminders I know will join one.

19. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    ******* are there to represent childminders - but I have no idea how many actually belong to their organisation - I've yet to speak to anyone who has joined.
    NCMA / pacey were invited but said no because the majority of their members didn't want it.

PLA speak up for childminders when they can - but obviously the vast majority of their membership is pre-schools and nurseries.

It's not good is it?
    I suspect these are them childminders who want to set themselves up to run an agency??

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbrom44 View Post
    I don't know why they are wasting their time and money on agencies as none of the childminders I know will join one.
    How much time, money & energy would have been saved if they'd consulted with childcare workers first before coming up with all these daft plans?

Post Thanks / Like

Some some clarification from the Northamptonshire Childminding Association.

" I had been involved with the DFE in the past on different consultations so when they were setting up this group to look at how agencies could work in practice I agreed to be part of it, on the grounds that it was at least an opportunity to influence the final decisions. I made it clear from the start that, not only are we against it in principal but we don’t feel it would work in practice ad I have tried my best to represent the feelings of our members at every opportunity."

Very pleased to hear this.

However in Hansards I see

"To ask the Secretary of State for Education

(1) whether he plans to offer financial incentives to encourage the formation of childminder agencies;

(2) what representations his Department has received from child care experts in support of the creation of childminder agencies;

(3) what (a) organisations and (b) individuals his Department has approached regarding the establishment of pilot schemes for childminder agencies.

Hansard source (Citation: HC Deb, 16 May 2013, c381W)

Elizabeth Truss (South West Norfolk, Conservative)
    At present we do not have any plans to offer financial incentives to encourage the formation of childminder agencies.
    We have received support from a number of organisations and individuals for the introduction of 'childminder agencies', including the members of our Task and Finish Group, and Her Majesty's chief inspector.
    In relation to pilot schemes for childminder agencies, we have actively encouraged all those with a potential interest in working with us on trials of agencies to contact us directly."

Now this is not what a number of the members of the Task and Finish Group group are saying. They are against childminding agencies. I get so cross with the Government for saying all these organisations support them on this issue and using them to justify pushing ahead with agencies. I have sent this to the NCA so they can get it corrected. If anyone has contacts with the other members could they forward the Hansards Q and A so they can also protest. I think the opponents on this group need to get together and make a joint statement correcting the idea they are all supportive of agencies.

Anni (still campaigning in my own little way)

23. Likes loocyloo liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast