RATIOS versus AGENCIES...what worries you most?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing is where are all the Nursery Chains complaining about the increased ratios? it seems to me that we are all getting hot under the collar about it but the Nursery chains aren't supporting us in challenging the Agency model! Of course they aren't because they see the increased ratios as more money and the more cms that are compromised as a result of the Agencies the more business for them. Not only that some of the Nursery chains are already in talks about starting up CM Agencies. lol

Forget the Nurseries, they are big enough and ugly enough to fight their own battles.

Lets just concentrate on what Childminders want and need. For one I welcome the possible relaxing of numbers for cms. We don't have to take on more children if we don't want to, but for those that do it means less paperwork. Brilliant I say.

Now lets start campaigning about what really matters AGENCIES

2. Likes Mouse, loocyloo, VeggieSausage liked this post
    Simona Guest

Wow...so much information so you may want to share which nurseries are in talks with who and setting up as agencies?
    we have heard of childcare hubs and even a couple of LAs seem to want to become an agency but the rest is shrouded in secrecy

Apart from 2 chains (Kidsunlimited is one the other I can't remember) who support Truss all others are against the higher ratio and very vocal too
    I think most here have said they do not mind having a few more kids as long as they can have a choice and suits them and their practice

How do you work out that more children is less paperwork...to me it means more progress checks, more contracts and reviews, more info packs and printing of policies, more diaries for those who do them ...so where do you save??

I know nurseries have not been totally supportive against agencies but we are supposed to be one workforce and this should be seen as everyone's battle...but then we do not seem to be well supported by our associations or are we?

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Less paperwork in terms of doing self variations. To be honest I have pared down my day to day paperwork a lot and I did well in my last inspection so I can't be doing to much wrong.

The new EYFS has cut our paperwork in terms of LJs and Development records so I am more than happy there. One more child frankly is going to make that much difference, yes another Diary/LJ but that isn't difficult and I have been doing that for the last 6 years more often than not anyway

I thought it was well known that there have been round the table meetings with various individuals and Nursery Chains to discuss the trial Agencies that will be set up in the NE in Sept. Mrs Truss has referred to it several times. When I talked to the man from the D of E at the pacey meeting he confirmed this.

This is the trouble we have got so hung up on numbers which frankly is no problem for us and we have lost sight of what is going on re Agencies. All the basing has been on numbers.

Sorry but yes we are supposed to work together but not all are and believe me the big Nursery chains are setting up to make a goodly profit out of childminders make no mistake. I hate the thought that my local competitors in business could be controlling childminders. It is wrong.

I couldn't give a fig about numbers in Nurseries and I don't believe them when they say they wont reduce staff and increase numbers. They will eventually because there are profits in it. We may even see a bit of a 2 tier Nursery where parents who are prepared and able to pay more can have a Nursery with more staff and less children.

I think we have wasted a year in this campaigning on numbers and we should have been spending our time concentrating on Agencies and I fear it may be too late now.

I know pacey have been working hard behind the scenes. I have no idea about others.

Simona Guest

If you know that ncma have been working hard would you share with us what they are doing or ask them to give us a formal reply on their campaign because we are not aware what it is

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12