The Forum and Facebook
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default The Forum and Facebook

I am sure I saw a post about the forum now being on Facebook but I cannot find it so apologies for starting this new one

I have noticed that the forum has gone slightly quiet over the last few days..is this the Facebook effect???

Please can you feedback on where Facebook is taking your discussions on the childcare topics ?...is there a different angle to them from those held in the forum? are you concentrating on ratios or agencies??? please share

I know I could join Facebook myself and see how it is going but I do not have the time and, between this forum, ncma Local, twitter and my own Focus Group it would mean being glued to the computer all day!

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the forum just naturally goes quiet from time to time and weekends are aways a bit slower, as they can be on childminding Facebook groups.

I know if I'm not posting on here, I'm not on Facebook either.

Personally, I haven't noticed discussions on Facebook taking over from discussions here. If they're happening, they're happening simultaneously, not exclusively. If I see something in the news, or see a new release about something, this is the first place I come to see if someone has posted about it. I find the responses here are generally calmer and more reasoned, while those on Facebook are slightly more hysterical and full of drama & inaccuracies!

(purely my personal opinion!)

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Forum has opened a new 'independent childminders' Facebook group to support those members who like to access FB as well as / instead of the Forum.

We are aware that some members prefer FB and we want to make sure everyone has access to up-to-date information.

It is not designed to take over from the Forum and all information on FB will be duplicated here and on blogs.

There have been 2 main threads so far -

1 - in which we were able to reassure the member that all childminders including independent would be eligible for the 2 year funding - she had been given the wrong information by her LA.

2 - in which a member from the north of England was letting us know that her LA had just confirmed they were going to set up as an agency. This FB group member is not on the Forum but is someone I know.

I asked a question this morning about what independence means to members. I directed them to the Independent Childminders - Supporting each other website for some thoughts. There have been a couple of replies.

Apart from that it's just been people settling in and saying hello to each other.

I've been on the Forum boards over the last few days and I haven't noticed they have been quieter... just that it's the weekend and things do lull a bit.

I hope that reassures you

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Latest Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/inde...tchildminders/ discussions -

Congratulations to Gail, a member of our FB group (and she's a member here on the forum), for her excellent Nursery World letter about the Asquith nurseries claim that they were 'pioneering' plans to monitor children's learning and development by doing regular summary assessments...

Nursery group raises the UK childcare bar

A number of members sharing their concerns about the future of childminding and receiving supportive replies from other members

A thread asking for advice about insurance choices with some very respectful replies

A thread selling books which I deleted

Lots of people asking if others from their area are staying independent - keen to join together to create supportive groups for advertising and training

Post Thanks / Like

The forum has had a record number of new posts over the last 3 days!
    Childcare.co.uk
    The UK's largest childcare website
    www.childcare.co.uk

7. Likes Rick, wendywu, sarah707, FussyElmo liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post

Latest Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/inde...tchildminders/ discussions -

Congratulations to Gail, a member of our FB group (and she's a member here on the forum), for her excellent Nursery World letter about the Asquith nurseries claim that they were 'pioneering' plans to monitor children's learning and development by doing regular summary assessments...

Nursery group raises the UK childcare bar

A number of members sharing their concerns about the future of childminding and receiving supportive replies from other members

A thread asking for advice about insurance choices with some very respectful replies

A thread selling books which I deleted

Lots of people asking if others from their area are staying independent - keen to join together to create supportive groups for advertising and training

Yes I saw the ad selling books and commented straight away.....couldn't see how it was relevant in any way to our group!

9. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Simona Guest

Thanks for the update Sarah...much appreciated for us Face(less) people!!

11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

An update for those not on Facebook - on the site we have discussed -

A couple of new blogs I put on today with CPD advice -

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...ldminders.html

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...ra-policy.html

Rules for accreditation from Sept - again advising members that DfE have confirmed LAs will not be able to stop them offering the 2 and 3 year entitlement - again battling LAs which are giving out incorrect / outdated information.

An A & E / first aid app for iphones - but some members are concerned about the requested permissions for the app and not downloading it.

A list of free / paid sites which support independent childminders -

Websites which offer FREE support and advice for independent childminders - let's make a list

Childminding Forum (of course!) - Childminding Forum - The UK's largest online forum for Registered Childminders

Childminding Help - Childminding Help and Childminding Forum for help and advice from starting out all the way to EYFS

Childminding Forum Independent Childminders - Independent Childminders - Supporting each other

Northampton Childminders - Northamptonshire Childminding Association

Independent Childminders - Looking to

Ofsted - Ofsted | Home page

Surrey Childminding Association - Home

Noel Quinn Training Consultancy - Devon Childminder

EYFS for Childminders - Eyfs for Childminders

PAID support can be accessed from the 2 main childminder member associations -

UKCMA and / or Pacey. UKCMA also pointed out that they offer a range of freely accessible information as well.

A member added a link to Bromley Childminders site.

I understand PLA will be launching a childminder support section from their website soon.

A list of free training sites for independent childminders -

If you are a Childcare.co.uk gold member there are over 100 information guides in your member area. All of them can be used to enhance your CPD and further CPD guides are planned - Babysitters, Childminders, Nannies, Nanny Jobs, Private Tutors - Childcare.co.uk.

If you buy your insurance from Morton Michel you become an automatic member of their Childcare Club which includes training guides from Laser Learning.

Pacey members are offered training via a virtual learning environment on their website.

PLA members have access to a number of online learning opportunities from Educare.

Vision2Learn has some free online courses - check your eligibility here -
    https://www.vision2learn.com/default.aspx.

Members added the following links -

Richmond on Thames LA online courses

Devon early years training

OU free short courses

Coursera courses, including ADHD and Child Nutrition

Rumours about future Ofsted charges have sparked some heated debates on FB - the same as on the forum - with many childminders saying the same thing - we need answers not conjecture and supposition.

I hope that updates you for now!

Simona Guest

Thanks again Sarah
    When you have a minute take a look at the latest from June's blog on 1st June...it has been 'amended' when it comes to the petitions...did you have anything to do with it? if so well done!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Forum Facebook group this week -

The group now has 953 members which has surpassed all expectations and is still growing steadily

There have been a lot of threads including the following -

Question about retainers - the member was advised to be strong and not hold an unsecured place open

Sarah posted a link to the Pacey Children's Centres consultation - see Pacey local website for more details

CYPNow article - members agree that the level of uncertainty is unacceptable and we deserve better

Visual timetables discussed - recommendations for websites shared

Creative kids fb page shared a reciprocal link with us

Advertising advice requested by a new childminder

Local conflict between childminders was discussed and tips were given for resolving the issues

A childminder asked how often Ofsted are currently inspecting - and was advised at least once within each inspection cycle

A member asked for advice about 7 seater cars

Permission forms contents were discussed and lots of suggestions offered

UKCMA have met MPs to discuss the childcare crisis on behalf of their members - I shared the information I gave them

A Pacey member asked about using her own contracts and was advised against it

2 year funding - variable advice is still being given by LAs

Tshirt embroidery options were discussed and website links shared

A big thread of over 70 messages has ideas for discounts and freebies for childminders

Pacey school ready survey - input was requested - see Pacey local website for more details

If anyone cannot access FB and wants more details on any of the above, please feel free to ask me

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ohh lovely, I'm a bit of a fb addict I'm afraid..

Simona Guest

Thank you for your time in doing this for us non FB people!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Thank you for your time in doing this for us non FB people!
    Thank you from me too xx