Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default New Campaign against 'More Great Childcare'

June O'Sullivan is a very well respected early years professional who has launched a campaign against some of the changes outlined in the Government's 'More Great Childcare' plan.

You can read more about it on her blog - Dear Colleagues, it...

She is calling on all early years professionals to make June 1st 'Children's Day' and to use the day as a lobbying platform to tell Govt - again - what we think of 'More Great Childcare'.

With Richard's backing I have responded to the campaign blog on behalf of Childminding Forum members

Hi June, thank you for your excellent and well written blog. I know it echoes the concerns of thousands of childminders and other early years practitioners throughout the country.

I have already presented a petition signed by over 33,000 concerned childminders, parents and early years practitioners to Ms Truss on behalf of Childminding Forum – http://www.keepratiosdown.co.uk – no response>

I have written a detailed analysis of the ‘More Great Childcare’ plan which contains hundreds of negative comments from very worried childminders and others in early years – http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/mgc – and received a letter thanking me for my time and advising me to read ‘More Great Childcare’ for more information about future plans>

Along with hundreds of other Childminding Forum members I have written to MPs local and national, printed and handed out campaign leaflets, discussed issues, shared concerns and done everything I can to stop ‘More Great Childcare’ in its tracks>

I have written countless letters and emails, Tweets and Facebook posts, started a Twibbon campaign on Twitter – childminders reject agencies – and submitted articles wearing my ‘freelance early years writer’ hat lobbying against the Govt’s plan to magazines such as Nursery World, ChildCare, CYPNow, Home Childcarer and online press>

I am also instrumental in setting up a new website for independent childminders to share advice, support and help which I hope will build into a ‘one stop shop’ for information about staying independent and successful as the months go by and we more fully understand the Govt’s agency plans – Independent Childminders - Supporting each other

I am always looking for new ways to campaign against the ‘More Great Childcare’ plan because I believe, like many thousands of other childminders, that the plan is fundamentally flawed –

Early years practitioners – experts in child development – in fact everyone I speak to on the subject – is in no doubt that the planned ratios changes will lead to lower outcomes for children>

Childminders know that, without support in place, agencies will lead to thousands of established childminder businesses run by dedicated, well trained practitioners becoming rapidly unsustainable as agencies flood the country with new childminders – which they will have to do to remain sustainable themselves.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help with your campaign

So... do you have any ideas of how we can make 1st June a very special Children's Day?

Let's brainstorm and see what we come up with - involve friends on FB and Twitter - talk about it at children's groups - tell childminder friends in the playground - get your local authorities involved - ask your representing bodies if they are going to join in...

What do you think guys? Do you think we can make a difference if we all pull together?
    Last edited by sarah707; 26-04-2013 at 12:18 PM.

2. Likes mum26 liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn just checked diary - my idea was to go on strike, but 1st June is a Saturday so that's not going to work is it? Can we all meet in London for a mass protest or the forum members organise themselves into counties and protest outside their County Halls - I'm Somerset so my County Hall is Taunton

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've got a leading childminder (acreddiated) training that day. I have forwarded details though to EY dept & asked that we can have time to share/talk/discuss.

5. Likes singingcactus liked this post
    Jun 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Damn just checked diary - my idea was to go on strike, but 1st June is a Saturday so that's not going to work is it? Can we all meet in London for a mass protest or the forum members organise themselves into counties and protest outside their County Halls - I'm Somerset so my County Hall is Taunton

I'll car share with you to London :-) I'm in Bristol x

Simona Guest

I have just left a 2nd message for June...I wonder if this should be spread to the LAs? will they support us in a peaceful and dignified protest?

If cms cannot travel to London or wherever the big action will be how about a stand off with parents and buggies in tow outside the civic centres??

A meeting in Trafalgar Square would be good but I suppose the organization may be huge??

sept 93
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to help anyway I can .I was talking to some cm yesterday and they knew nothing about the bill brought them up to scatch and asked them to tell others

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I thought that at first, but actually we are all reasonable, caring people as far as our Mindees and parents are concerned aren't we? So if we gathered on a Saturday en masse to drive home the strength of feeling, we could always make the point: what IF it WAS a weekday? What would working parents do then? How might that affect businesses & the economy?

We don't want to let them down - but we DO want to be listened to. If you don't take us seriously and start working with us, NEXT time it MIGHT be a weekday....

Simona Guest

My feeling about this is that parents can join us on Saturday...surely they would give up an hour of their time if the protest was centrally co-ordinated but organized locally...after all it is in their interest?

I really want to see whether EY teams will come out in support...wonder if NCMA and PLA will support too???
    very strange situation here as we have PLA as part of the DfE 'task and finish group' developing agencies (this campaign does include agencies) and ncma refusing to be part even as listeners but recruiting new cms??

Both represent cms but on a totally opposite wavelength here...mmmhh?? puzzling!

may 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd gladly join peaceful demo at Trafalger Sq

xx

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

On a training course unfortunately, but like the idea.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have committed to supporting the campaign - and so has Childminding Forum -

Last night I was talking as an individual childminder… today I am pleased to inform you that the Childminding Forum is keen to get involved and promote your plans for 1st June as ‘Children’s Day’.

A new Childminding Forum thread has been created so childminders can find out about your campaign and spread the word to their colleagues using social media and playground chats to let everyone know that 1st June will be a special day to let the Govt know what we think of their ‘More Great Childcare’ plan.

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...childcare.html

Please let us know when further plans are available as I am sure lots of members will be keen to offer support. Thank you. Sarah

This is the latest information from June about the campaign -

Guys

Thank you for your support. Its simply amazing. We need to use this energy as constructively as possible. We need to get the support of parents. I originally talked about Reclaiming Early Years but I love the Oz version “Value Childcare We Help Raise your Children” on Children’s Day! the hash tag could be #valuing childcarers
    I have started a Linkedin Group to coordinate our action. Please use it with all your ideas. So far I think we all have banners on the day with “Value Childcare We Help Raise Your Children”
    Open for thoughts etc. the Group is called Reclaim Childcare.

Brilliant we are a voice together

If you are on training - take a moment during your lunch break to discuss the implications of the 'More great Childcare' plan and hand out leaflets to encourage other attendees to do something proactive to lobby against it when they get home!!

I am sure there will be lots of ways we can support the campaign... it looks like there will be leaflets and all sorts of other ways to get involved

Simona Guest

The campaign has an official name now: Reclaim Early Years

June joined @EYTalking on twitter and we were planning banners and leaflets that we could distribute at school, CCentres and Stay&Play
    She also mentioned picnics (no rain please!!)...so it could be local events that could be arranged

Sarah...please take a look at the EYTalking feeds in case we can come up with something
    There is a good feeling of unity on this...let's hope it comes to something!

Simona Guest

I have just picked up a tweet from June about the campaign
    It looks like simultaneous picnics are being planned for 1st June...she also planning banners, press releases ad letters to MPs.

Will come back with more news when I get it...

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

On holiday 1st June - happy to be on holiday sad to miss it

Simona Guest

Many people will be but you can still spread the word to your local colleagues and via ncma local...ncma is officially supporting this campaign!!!

Where cms cannot attend the picnics they can still distribute the flyers and write to MPs (once we know what to do in this area)...we are waiting for further news on this but flyers can be handed at schools and parents encouraged to join

We can also liaise with preschools and nurseries where we pick up children...lots can be done to help spread the word even if unable to actually attend on the day!!

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Many people will be but you can still spread the word to your local colleagues and via ncma local...ncma is officially supporting this campaign!!!

Where cms cannot attend the picnics they can still distribute the flyers and write to MPs (once we know what to do in this area)...we are waiting for further news on this but flyers can be handed at schools and parents encouraged to join

We can also liaise with preschools and nurseries where we pick up children...lots can be done to help spread the word even if unable to actually attend on the day!!
    of course I will support in any way I can

Simona Guest

First press release via Nursery World...

Call for sector day of action on Truss reforms | Nursery World

Simona Guest

Are you on Linked in or Facebook and aware of how the campaign is developing?
    Could you share any news here?

Many cms are not on either and therefore missing vital information
    We have spread the word about the 1st June...now what? we need some co-ordination

If anyone listened to Gove on the Andrew Marr show this morning you will be under no illusion the ratios 'will be implemented' because Gove believes Truss' proposals are 'formidable'

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I cant have gove on my tv on the grounds I would need a new tv :-)
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

22. Likes shortstuff, tashaleee liked this post
    Simona Guest

His arrogance is beyond belief but also shows that, whatever we or the experts say, he will ignore unless our protest on 1st June makes any difference??